Gransnet forums

Chat

Got to thinking just now - can we be kind about posters❓

(504 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 22:30:25

With all this about meanness nowadays on social media how about a little experiment.

I’ve posted.

Can the next person up look at the post above them (about me, to start with) and try to say something nice about the one before? We do ALL have good qualities I’m certain......

It might make for an uplifting thread?

If you can’t (or don’t ‘know’ the poster above to you) leave it and wait. Come back later when you recognise a poster’s style.

Off we go. I’m waiting (in trepidation ha!)
?

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Mar-20 16:00:19

I've got some Irish blood in me ( thinned out a bit over the generations though) - does that count? ?

Kalu Fri 06-Mar-20 15:04:29

??? ?

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 14:50:02

Hear hear, Kalu
Three cheers for Anniebach!

Kalu Fri 06-Mar-20 14:47:12

I have followed you over the years Anniebach and I have to say what strong character you have.

In the face of so much adversity you always find time to be kind to others. You have your own strong views and stick to them regardless of those who don’t always allow you to give your opinion.

Anniebach Fri 06-Mar-20 13:53:13

Thank you x certainly good enough for me ??????? ?

Marydoll Fri 06-Mar-20 13:51:29

Good enough for me Annie. ?

Anniebach Fri 06-Mar-20 13:49:37

I am a Celt ?

Anniebach Fri 06-Mar-20 11:48:06

I haven’t a Scottish ancestor

Marydoll Fri 06-Mar-20 11:25:50

dragonfly, you can be an associate member! wink

Marydoll Fri 06-Mar-20 11:24:55

What a lovely lot you all are!
Thank you Charleygirl for your kind words, needed a bit of cheering up after yesterday's nonsense.
I admire how you always look out for any newcomers and warmly welcome them. Well, that was until we all got frozen out of the café ! ?

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Mar-20 11:19:21

Sorry dragonfly not enough- you need to have been born and dragged up there.

dragonfly46 Fri 06-Mar-20 10:48:50

I had a Scottish ancestor ?

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Mar-20 10:46:29

Mapleleaf this thread has now returned to sweetness and light.

I admire Marydoll and I enjoy reading whatever she has written. She has been to hell and back with her awful RA but she has never moaned about it stating as it is.

She is also very supportive of others.

Idly wondering how many other fellow Scots there are?

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Mar-20 10:02:25

It’s sad to see this thread turning into a slanging match when it’s intention was to say nice things about posters. Such a shame.?

seacliff Fri 06-Mar-20 09:41:11

Well done Urmstongran on trying to create at least one kind positive thread on Gransnet. It's a real shame it didn't work as you intended. flowers.

I'm one of the many lurkers but just wanted to say I enjoy posts by Bluebelle and Barmyold bat (and love the name), among others. I have had some lovely messages in the past, so thank you all.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 06-Mar-20 09:26:12

Just come back on to this thread because I wanted to say something positive about a GN-er, and am a bit disappointed about how it has degenerated! (Wags finger disapprovingly.)

In an attempt to support those who are trying to get it back on track, I would like to say how happy I am to see joannapiano on another thread. I enjoy her posts and I particularly like her name!

And yes, annsixty is another one who speaks a lot of sense and is obviously a brave person with much to be brave about.

NanaandGrampy Thu 05-Mar-20 13:30:50

Ah thank you Charley . That’s kind of you to say. I have enjoyed hearing tales of ‘Tara the little madam* and the kind and thoughtful support you give to many others in the kitchen .

I’d like to mention annsixty who has had some troubled times but still manages to deal with it all with good grace and a kind heart. She has a quiet strength that I would love to have .

Charleygirl5 Thu 05-Mar-20 13:26:56

I have "met" Nana&Grampy on other threads and they have always, to me, been the voice of reason. I have loved hearing about their GC and over the years, via photos, watched them slowly grow up.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Mar-20 13:22:00

GNHQ here. We really loved the beginning of this thread. Any chance we can get it back on course? If not, we're going to have to delete it sad

Kalu Thu 05-Mar-20 13:08:34

Hear, hear Elegran ?

curvygran950 Thu 05-Mar-20 13:03:41

Melbourne can be very chilly, damp and miserable too !

NanaandGrampy Thu 05-Mar-20 12:59:39

Oh well said Elegran ! ??

Elegran Thu 05-Mar-20 12:58:40

I think you claimed earlier that although you have an excellent memory, you don't hold a grudge, Rufus. In that, you were a bit economical with the truth. You hold on to grudges as though they are the only thing keeping you afloat, and the only subject you can post about. You are boring, cobber. How about some constructive and interesting posts from you?
OoRoo.

NanaandGrampy Thu 05-Mar-20 12:55:25

I think your post is totally out of order Rufus .

This is not the first time I have seen you accusing someone of the same thing so either multiple people are telling you to bogoff or you haven’t a clue who did it.

I suggest if you are that hurt that you continue to harp on...and on... about it you report the person to GN and let them deal with it.

Elegran Thu 05-Mar-20 12:53:05

Why not start a new light-hearted thread, Rufus instead of diverting one just because you found it boring? Plenty of people didn't think it boring, they were enjoying adding their appreciation of other posters - a rare thing when the whole internet is awash with people dissing one another, and not lightheartedly either.

You could bat joky insults back and forth there till the cows come home. Better than staying here and finding it too sweet for your taste, surely? If you are doing it just to cause trouble, then you become one of those Scandiwegian creatures that live under bridges and get posts deleted if they mention the name. Actually being one gets instant annihilation.
PS - this was a friendly post, not a dig.