Gransnet forums

Chat

Got to thinking just now - can we be kind about posters❓

(504 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 22:30:25

With all this about meanness nowadays on social media how about a little experiment.

I’ve posted.

Can the next person up look at the post above them (about me, to start with) and try to say something nice about the one before? We do ALL have good qualities I’m certain......

It might make for an uplifting thread?

If you can’t (or don’t ‘know’ the poster above to you) leave it and wait. Come back later when you recognise a poster’s style.

Off we go. I’m waiting (in trepidation ha!)
?

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 14:50:02

Hear hear, Kalu
Three cheers for Anniebach!

Kalu Fri 06-Mar-20 15:04:29

??? ?

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Mar-20 16:00:19

I've got some Irish blood in me ( thinned out a bit over the generations though) - does that count? ?

Marydoll Fri 06-Mar-20 16:00:34

I'm reading a book at the moment about ancestry .

The Celts of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany all have a genetic connection, it's very interesting.

So we are all connected, well most of us appear to be ! ??

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Mar-20 16:20:32

Sorry Mapleleaf it must be Scottish 100%.

Anniebach Fri 06-Mar-20 16:20:44

Thank you

I have done my family tree back to the 17th century all Welsh, , did a DNA test and 22% Irish ? in the 19th century there were
many ‘irish tinkers’ travelling around Anglesey, who in my ancestors was naughty I ask ?

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Mar-20 17:05:01

Never mind Charleygirl5. I'll have to make do with being burn and bred in Gods own county! ??

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Mar-20 17:05:42

Born not burn! Oh dear, fat finger syndrome. ?

lemongrove Fri 06-Mar-20 18:08:27

Anniebach does the best one liners on GN, a good dry sense of humour and Charleygirl and marydoll , although causing mayhem in The Argy now and then ( dancing on tables, drinking poteen and running off with the takings) are kind supportive GN members.??

lemongrove Fri 06-Mar-20 18:09:40

I did live in Cornwall once.....does that count? ?

Marydoll Fri 06-Mar-20 18:46:00

Lemon, do you have any proof you lived there? wink

Wheniwasyourage Sat 07-Mar-20 11:43:09

And why did they kick you out did you leave?

Marydoll Sat 07-Mar-20 11:55:58

They heard about her antics in the Argy. wink

BradfordLass73 Sun 08-Mar-20 01:57:37

Thanks to Charleygirl5 for the Scottish speculations.
Love those cheeky posts.

I once wore a kilt, does that count?

Seriously, one of the reasons I started my family tree was to follow up my Mum's claim that we had 'Scottish blood'. (which I always understood was actually uisce beatha)

My grandfather was in the King's Own Scottish Borderers and we had many a holiday in Rothesay. I'm also a life-long fan of The Broons & Oor Wullie.

None of that count's if the DNA isn't there though and whilst I've gone back to 1392 (possible) and 1504 (definite) I've yet to find anyone born in Scotland.
Och it's a scunner.

Thanks again Charleygirl5

Elegran Sun 08-Mar-20 09:40:51

BradfordLass You have approximately as much Scottish blood as I do - but it hasn't held me back.
I have citizenship by marriage. after about 60 years I feel Scottish.

Bathsheba Tue 10-Mar-20 08:43:44

I'm half Irish, and I went out with a Scot in my youth - in fact I got engaged to him but then called it off - and my favourite dog is a Scottie, and I wore a kilt once, complete with a proper kilt pin! Oh, and I enjoy a drop of the amber nectar now and then. Any of that count? Can I be an honorary member? grin

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 09:08:53

Bathsheba, you may need to go before the Scottish Grans Committee to be vetted, before you are invited to join the clique! ! wink We are a fierce lot! ?

Oh OK then, you can become an honorary member, everyone is welcome! I will send you a list of Scottish sayings to add to authenticity.

Urmstongran Tue 10-Mar-20 09:12:17

Lovely validations of this thread recently from you Elegran and seacliff
Thank you.
?

Callistemon Tue 10-Mar-20 09:14:56

As far as I know I do not have one drop of Scottish blood but I do have several Scottish friends (all defectors, sorry), and I did dress DD1 in a kilt when she was little. In fact I still have two kilt pins in my sewing box - does that count?

Elegran Tue 10-Mar-20 09:38:08

Years ago we had an (unofficial) attempt at an all-day national Gn meet-up - in Edinburgh of course. Twenty Gransnetters attended, from all corners of the UK (except NI) and had a whale of a time. People have continued to come to Scottish meets from a long way away.

(There were murmurings about repeating it elsewhere from time to time, but no-one has volunteered to organise it - plus there was no agreement on where would be convenient for everyone. Those in the far south thought York was too far North. Those north of Aberdeen thought York was perfectly doable. Actual distances as the crow flies are much the same)

Chewbacca Tue 10-Mar-20 10:29:11

I'd love to go to a meet up and would be willing to travel. There doesn't seem to be any in the NW England, unless I'm just not observant enough to have spotted them?

Anniebach Tue 10-Mar-20 10:32:26

Not Wales Elegran ? ?

MawB Tue 10-Mar-20 11:39:07

How about BIrmingham?
Trains to here from most corners of the country.

Elegran Tue 10-Mar-20 11:48:04

Are you volunteering, MawB ?

PS - Is Lent over then, that you are back posting?

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 12:48:09

GN is addictive, unfortunately cold turkey didn't work for Maw! grin