Gransnet forums

Chat

Which leading lady would you be?

(83 Posts)
mary51 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:16:26

Following on from the thread about films, who do you see yourself (and your OH) as, in a film. For me it would be Rosie in The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart in that boat, or Eddie's mum in Eddie the Eagle especially at the end when she meets Hugh Jackman.

And also Katharine Ross in Butch Cassidy. I'm sure there are many more.

I know this is an idle thread but just sat down after a busy day!! smile

Marilla Mon 17-Feb-20 22:38:15

SueEllen in Dallas!

Jomarie Mon 17-Feb-20 22:43:18

Julie Andrews as Maria in The Sound of Music - I can see myself striding/prancing about the mountains with adoring children following me (!!) and a handsome man panting after me whilst singing (in tune) beautiful melodies.

grumppa Mon 17-Feb-20 23:02:44

Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie.

Chestnut Mon 17-Feb-20 23:04:34

I'd probably be Faye Dunaway in 'Bonnie and Clyde'. A gorgeous leading man and those fabulous cars. I thought the beret look was very cool at the time.

Or Julie Christie in 'Far From the Madding Crowd' with three suitors including the dashing Sergeant Troy (Terence Stamp) and the beautiful Dorset countryside. What more could you want?

Framilode Tue 18-Feb-20 00:09:35

Yes Grace Kelly in High Society having to choose between Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, both of whom she had had affairs with in real life.

DanniRae Tue 18-Feb-20 08:42:55

Wow Framilode - Grace Kelly had affairs with Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby! I have recently watched her in "To Catch a Thief" and she was so beautiful. If I was her I'd of rather have chosen between Steve McQueen and Paul Newman. Frank and Bing would not have stood a chance with me!! shock

Nortsat46 Tue 18-Feb-20 09:02:30

Jane Eyre opposite a young Laurence Olivier playing Mr Rochester.
Barbara Streisand playing opposite Robert Redford in The Way We Were.
Barbara Streisand playing opposite Nick Nolte in Prince of Tides
I guess Barbara S can have her pick of leading men, so maybe I should just be her.

Meryl Streep in Silkwood.
Julia Roberts in The Pelican Brief.

Bathsheba Tue 18-Feb-20 09:25:28

Meryl Streep in Out of Africa, or Mama Mia. In fact Meryl Streep in just about anything!

Nortsat46 Tue 18-Feb-20 09:49:07

I forgot Samantha from ‘Bewitched’, I so wanted to be Samantha.
I had very short, straight brown hair when I was a child and I really, really wanted long hair. When I was finally allowed to have longer hair, I couldn’t understand why it wasn’t blonde and ‘flicked up’ like Samantha’s.

henetha Tue 18-Feb-20 09:53:49

Bette Davis in Now Voyager. One of the most romantic films ever made.
But, more like my own character, Calamity Jane.

Fernbergien Tue 18-Feb-20 10:01:41

Tidyskatemum you beat me to it. Liza Minnelli in Cabaret.

Helennonotion Tue 18-Feb-20 10:05:07

Audrey Hepburn - Eliza Doolittle grin

Lookout01 Tue 18-Feb-20 10:09:25

Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. She was so elegant and pretty

Coconut Tue 18-Feb-20 10:09:30

Bridget Jones ?

JessK Tue 18-Feb-20 10:09:54

Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's

Deed5y Tue 18-Feb-20 10:24:33

Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman!

gran5up Tue 18-Feb-20 10:25:44

Grim reality strikes here...Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple in,"Murder she said", "Murder at the gallop","Murder Ahoy", she looked as if she was having such fun despite being large and ungainly...and she was beautifully dressed and very clever!

Dee1012 Tue 18-Feb-20 10:26:33

I'd opt for Ellen Ripley from the Alien film series played by Sigourney Weaver....I quite fancy myself as the "action heroine"
My other role would be Cathy from Wuthering Heights, however I would need Olivier as my Heathcliff.

Daddima Tue 18-Feb-20 10:43:58

When I was younger, and heavily involved in amateur theatre, I would have loved to play Eliza in My Fair Lady. Then it was Lady Bracknell. I’m sure that if that opportunity arose now I would never be able to remember the lines ( though I can still remember lines from Gilbert and Sullivan operas from 40 years ago!

BladeAnnie Tue 18-Feb-20 10:58:55

Anything playing opposite the gorgeous Sean Bean ?

Mollygo Tue 18-Feb-20 11:38:06

Samantha in Bewitched, Julia Roberts, especially in Pretty Woman, but really I’d like to have Victoria Wood’s talent!

Margs Tue 18-Feb-20 11:55:55

I'd like to have been Barbra Streisand in "What's Up Doc?"

MawB Tue 18-Feb-20 12:29:30

Bagsy me Katharine Hepburn in The African Queen!
(But I could never fancy Humphrey Bogart, much preferred the buttoned up Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music!)

BettyBoop49 Tue 18-Feb-20 13:25:36

Any leading lady playing opposite the dear departed Alan Bates.
I would also liked to have sung a duet with Scott Walker ( also deceased)
Trying the think of a live one now-can’t!

Bluecat Tue 18-Feb-20 13:28:43

Katherine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story, with funny Jimmy Stewart and gorgeous Cary Grant.