Gransnet forums

Chat

Kitchen gadgets that bring back memories?

(72 Posts)
curvygran950 Tue 18-Feb-20 11:47:04

Whilst using my late mums pepper grinder and wooden rolling pin this morning, I wondered if anyone else has any kitchen implements that have special memories ?

Witzend Wed 16-Jun-21 10:21:56

Shelflife, my mother had an attachment for her Kenwood Chef for peeling potatoes, but she only used it for new potatoes - for old ones it was the standard potato peeler.

I often belatedly wonder what on earth made her think that new potatoes needed peeling. Just took it for granted at the time, though.

Grannyboots1 Tue 15-Jun-21 19:36:10

The dreaded pressure cooker, horrible smell of raw meat being boiled and the loud hiss when the steam was released off the lid. Terrifying to a six year old.

Shinamae Tue 15-Jun-21 19:22:37

My one was a lot fatter and just had cork on one end, I do wish I still had it…?‍♀️

annsixty Tue 15-Jun-21 19:09:41

Here is mine

annsixty Tue 15-Jun-21 19:04:55

Oh, mine has a red plastic stopper thingy which you take off to put the water in.
I will get it out and see if I can send a photo.

Shinamae Tue 15-Jun-21 19:01:59

annsixty

Shinamae I still have my Pyrex rolling pin into which you put iced water, I use it regularly.
I would have been married 63 years in August and bought it for my “bottom drawer” which many of us had in those days.
Until recently I still had the large Mason mixing bowl in which my mother made bread twice a week.
Sadly it got broken just weeks ago.

I don’t think you could actually take the water out as it was sealed with a cork…. I think it was a wedding present and they were married in 1953 I think….

Shelflife Tue 15-Jun-21 18:40:59

3dognight, thankyou for responding. You are correct it was very noisy and yes I do remember the potatoes looked worse for wear and had a fluffy appearance.

muffinthemoo Tue 15-Jun-21 18:35:04

Mums not much for cooking but I still phone the same Chinese takeaway as she does, does that count?

annsixty Tue 15-Jun-21 18:30:25

Shinamae I still have my Pyrex rolling pin into which you put iced water, I use it regularly.
I would have been married 63 years in August and bought it for my “bottom drawer” which many of us had in those days.
Until recently I still had the large Mason mixing bowl in which my mother made bread twice a week.
Sadly it got broken just weeks ago.

Hellogirl1 Tue 15-Jun-21 18:05:57

I have a sort of double spoon thingy with little holes in it, it was my grandma`s, used for brewing in the cup with loose tea. I`ve had it for 58 years, no idea how long she had it before that.

3dognight Tue 15-Jun-21 18:02:34

Yes, I remember the ‘potato rumbler’ this was late sixties/early seventies though. Flipping noisy thing!
Also the potatoes came out sort of bruised and abit fluffy, I would have thought it was easier to peel them.

Kali2 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:57:29

I still use my gran's metal meat grider- texture is so much better for making pies, meatloaves, etc. Lots of them are on display, like a butter churn, earthenware pots, etc. I also have a wooden jelly press, looks like a small wine press. And a very long and thin pastry rolling-pin, about double normal length. And so many other bits.

Shelflife Tue 15-Jun-21 17:46:59

My mum had a potato peeler. Consisted of a drum that she put the potatoes in. The interior sides and base of the drum was dark brown and covered with sharp lumps and bumps. She turned a handle on the side and the potatoes rumbled around inside - skins removed! Never saw another ! This would be in the mid to late 50s. Be interested to know if anyone else remembers them ? I still use mums weighing scales and weights when baking.

JackyB Tue 15-Jun-21 17:39:13

Dryginger

We have a sprong mincer that we found in a skip out side a sausage factory years ago. We've never used it just as decor in the kitchen.
Got an electric sausage maker we've used once.
Made nice sausages though.

I have a coffee/nut grinder exactly like that. I was given it as a wedding present. Well, I say I have it - my DS2 seems to have acquired it. But he drinks coffee (we don't) and he uses it every night to hand grind the coffee for the next morning's breakfast.

Yammy Tue 15-Jun-21 12:52:43

We have a flat iron and a shoe last don't know where they originally came from but were in my mums all my child hood also a fire poker my late FIL made at school.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Jun-21 12:27:05

Shinamae

Don’t still have it unfortunately but my mum had a glass rolling pin with water inside it…..

My mom had the rather down market plastic version!
I don't know why - it might have been a sympathy buy at a Tupperware party!

Shinamae Tue 15-Jun-21 12:24:40

Don’t still have it unfortunately but my mum had a glass rolling pin with water inside it…..

sodapop Tue 15-Jun-21 12:19:54

I remember the green bean slicer freesia haven't seen one for years

Dryginger Tue 15-Jun-21 12:16:53

Witzend

I still have a wooden spoon of my mother’s - worn down on one side with so much use - and her rolling pin.

I used to have a glass dish - not even particularly beautiful - that always held orange jelly with mandarin oranges in, when we went to a granny’s house for a tea that included things my mother never bought - Penguin biscuits and Dairylea triangles!

I was very upset when dh broke that dish.

Witzend I have orange jelly and mandarin oranges in the fridge at the moment.
Ive got an old metal spoon that was my late MIL Its my favorite spoon.

Teacheranne Tue 15-Jun-21 11:37:13

Chewbacca

My mother had one of those whisks/beaters that you had to manually turn a handle at the side to make it work. It was so much hard work and was hardly less effort that just using an ordinary balloon whisk.

I still have one of these although I have a balloon whisk as well. I think it is time to throw it away!

winterwhite Tue 15-Jun-21 11:27:37

Talking of large stone jars and blocks of salt, my mother used these for salting runner beans, sliced with her spong bean slicer. They kept very well till spring.
When we downsized I was interested to see what the 3 DDs would go for: preserving pan, trad yellow mixing bowl, favourite vases.

Savvy Tue 15-Jun-21 10:38:51

Extendible toasting fork that we used to use for making toast on the open coal fire in the lounge.

Doesn't get used now for obvious reasons, but I still keep it.

Witzend Tue 15-Jun-21 10:35:08

I still have a wooden spoon of my mother’s - worn down on one side with so much use - and her rolling pin.

I used to have a glass dish - not even particularly beautiful - that always held orange jelly with mandarin oranges in, when we went to a granny’s house for a tea that included things my mother never bought - Penguin biscuits and Dairylea triangles!

I was very upset when dh broke that dish.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 15-Jun-21 10:12:55

I have my grandmother's darning mushroom - have used it a lot but don't do so much darning now.

Redhead56 Tue 15-Jun-21 10:03:08

My dad bought my mum one of the chip cutters in the 1970s. Thinking of it now what a waste of time and energy it chopped one potato only each time. Washing and drying it was tedious my mum had to chop for nine of us. She was like a commis chef when it came to chopping better than any gadget.
Over ten years ago I bought a meat grinder to attach to my KitchenAid and a pasta maker they are both still in their boxes never used.