Gransnet forums

Chat

are you good at Maths?

(49 Posts)
infoman Wed 19-Feb-20 06:38:13

I am trying to work out the maximum amunt of passengers that COULD be transported on the Bristol airport flyer bus in one year.
There are approx 69 bus's that travel from Bristol City centre to the airport in one day(Monday to Friday)
Saturday maybe a little higher and Sundays maybe similar to Monday to Friday.
If all the bus's were full(50 passengers?)
What would the maximum amount of passengers that could be taken to the airport,one way trips only,exclude the return trips. Thanks in advance.

infoman Fri 21-Feb-20 06:49:02

Radio 4 listener?
Radio Bristol and five live only

M0nica Thu 20-Feb-20 15:38:26

Are you an R4 Today program researcher, looking for people to set the problem of the day?

Elegran Thu 20-Feb-20 09:55:00

I you want people to use cars less and the buses more, you put up airport parking prices until they are unaffordable, and have a free bus service. Then you deal with the irate backlash.

If the airport buses are almost empty, you cut out every second one, and educate the passengers to plan ahead and get an erlier one. That will cause a flood of irate phone calls from them too, complaining that they had to wait hours in the airport because they were too early, and others from passengers who "didn't know" so missed a flight. - however, that would increase sales of food and drink in the concourse.

It is all swings and roundabouts -but you could always install a whole lot of play equipment in the main hall, for adults as well as children. Gambling machines, what the butler saw - and how about a flume from the top floor to a pool in the centre of the ground floor hall? Charge for those too. Take RyanAir as a model.

Yehbutnobut Thu 20-Feb-20 09:11:56

Easy enough if I CBA’d to do it.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:04:19

If the buses are almost empty and there are 69 of them then it isn’t poorly served , surely it’s poorly used.

MawB Thu 20-Feb-20 08:53:45

Share was what I meant, but “dare” might do. grin

MawB Thu 20-Feb-20 08:52:39

“Number” infoman not “amount” !
I wonder why you wanted to know this or indeed dare it?

infoman Thu 20-Feb-20 06:40:38

Thanks everyone for all your replys.
Looking at the passengers numbers the maximum amount of passengers that could be transported in one year would be 1,206,500 in one direction.
Although when I see the bus's heading to the airport,there only seems about ten to fifteen persons on them
Bristol Airport must be the largest poorly served airport in the U.K. for public transport.
An express rail tunnel type service, keeps on being mooted.
A tunnel would cost approx 600 million pounds and take approx 3 to 4 from the time the first sod was cut.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 19-Feb-20 17:50:08

Parrots only onboard please , me shipmates , a 2 sail jobby with manly men with oars.
Ooh I feel all peculiar

oops......

Squiffy Wed 19-Feb-20 17:37:02

Ah, so now we need to take boats into account ..... How big will the boats be and what is their passenger capacity? Are pets allowed on board as well? Do pets count as passengers in the headcount?

Excuse me, please, I need a little lie down .....

ninathenana Wed 19-Feb-20 17:04:39

???

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 19-Feb-20 16:49:09

Our park and ride is partially flooded so unable to count anything at the moment .

Oh dear, this isn’t going well

Squiffy Wed 19-Feb-20 15:26:30

Ah, the Park and Ride - well, it all depends upon who is on Barrier Duty. Now, if it’s George, he likes to cram them in, but if it’s Harry or Jane, they like to allow enough space for people to be able to open their doors widely enough to get out of their cars. Thusly, George days are best for those who like to picnic in their cars - and have strong bladders .....

Callistemon Wed 19-Feb-20 15:06:24

Is There a Park and Ride?
How many cars in the Park and Ride and what is the average number of passengers per car?

Callistemon Wed 19-Feb-20 15:05:02

I'm still working on it
In fact, I can think of nothing else

Squiffy Wed 19-Feb-20 14:47:38

Sorry Glamma, hope it goes away quickly. Will you need to leave the bus for a lie down? There goes the headcount again!

glammanana Wed 19-Feb-20 14:32:49

I feel a headache coming on hmm

Squiffy Wed 19-Feb-20 14:26:56

?? Oops!

Are the swings on the roundabout or nearby in a park? Bearing in mind that some of the passengers may linger there, it could mess up the headcount.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 19-Feb-20 13:50:39

squiffy if I got that first part wrong then blame Danny Kaye, maths was never my strong point.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 19-Feb-20 13:47:29

Oh crikey, I’d forgotten about that, but if it’s equal to the sum of the square of the 2 adjacent sides, I guess it’s swings and roundabouts isn’t it?

Does the potential height of passengers matter? Or girth?

MawB Wed 19-Feb-20 13:46:50

Number not amount !

Squiffy Wed 19-Feb-20 13:45:45

..... and we mustn’t forget to factor in the square on the hypotenuse. It could make all the difference!

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 19-Feb-20 13:43:19

Well callistemon that really messes with my calculations and now squiffy we have potential standing passengers too!
I wonder how many are allowed to stand? Do children squish up to get more of them on?

Craicon Wed 19-Feb-20 12:04:28

We occasionally used the Bristol Flyer to get to work but do you mean 50 passengers seated?

Squiffy Wed 19-Feb-20 11:58:40

Are you allowing for standing passengers? If it's school holiday time there could be a lot of children on board wink