Gransnet forums

Chat

Points system for immigrants from next year

(248 Posts)
Dottynan Wed 19-Feb-20 07:04:34

Government are proposing to bring in a points based system from next year. Immigrants will need a job offer, earn at least £25600 and speak English. A good thing or not

pinkquartz Fri 21-Feb-20 16:03:34

Hops were picked by the poor families coming down from London.

They treated it as their country holiday.
It was very hard work but the attitude of the workers was brilliant.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 15:54:08

You might just have to pay more, and take less profits.

Sorry, not sorry.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 15:53:09

Lord knows how the UK managed crop picking - definitely not a skill, btw - before this steady flow of cheap workers?

Time to pay a decent wage WHOEVER is picking crops, surely?

suziewoozie Fri 21-Feb-20 15:50:50

The past the past the glorious past

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 15:46:21

Old people used to do the Hop season quite easily. Funny that.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:16:12

Oh - never mind. Let me know when they call you up EB.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:15:06

etheltbags1 I would happily work on a farm but I would be considered too old

Probably not. As Pretti Patel's

Yehbutnobut Fri 21-Feb-20 14:54:19

ethelbags why won’t English people work in the fields (not ‘on a farm’ that sounds too cosy and twee) because it’s hard, dirty, back-breaking work. Out in all weathers, rail, wind or blazing sun, no shelter. Port-a-loos.

Why should they bother when they can get furriners to come and ‘steal our jobs’ ???

suziewoozie Fri 21-Feb-20 14:38:45

animous as if, ever.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 14:24:53

Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom...

A man's wage paid the bills -

Then they forced allowed women to work, and leave their children with strangers.

Now even two wage income houses struggle - and we have "in-work" benefits.

Big business is laughing.

etheltbags1 Fri 21-Feb-20 13:15:08

Was at school in the sixties forgive this Samsung keyboard its crap

etheltbags1 Fri 21-Feb-20 13:14:12

As I said earlier how are these people so badly paid. If care workers are on tax credits, I assume farm workers and other low paid are also so why won't the British work in these jobs. However I must admit at school in the ops we were all told to get a good job by working hard getting exams etc, so regardless of the pay maybe people just don't like to get their hands dirty. I would happily work on a farm but I would be considered too old

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 12:46:31

The days of cheap labour are numbered.

I did not vote in the last election. I will vote next time...

* Never ever again for cheapLabour
* Never ever again for Libdem who helped the Tory
dismantle education, and social mobility for the youth.

If Boris delivers anything like a true Brexit then I'm gonna go Tory, yup!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Feb-20 12:42:14

I know one lady who is a carer starts work at 6am until noon, then does 6pm until 10pm seven days a week. Multiple visits per day she is 73, older than some of the people she is taking care of!!!

Greymar Fri 21-Feb-20 12:36:42

pinkquartz, if you take a look back , you can see I said the carer is often rushing and trying to do a good job. This type of job is challenging and should be valued. Its an absolute disgrace that somebody has to sit and wait for a 15 minute call.

Urmstongran Fri 21-Feb-20 11:49:21

The agencies are in it (as employers) to make as much money as possible. Hence the very poor wages (even for unsocial hours), usage of the carer’s own car, often no mileage allowance.

But then (and this sounds mean to say) sheep are meant to be sheared. The care workers need a UNION to stand up for their terms and conditions & improve them. The bosses know this is on the tracks as immigration is going to hit their M.O.

Time to pay ALL workers a better wage. Level up. How many of these agency business owners would be prepared to let their own family members work for a pittance? It’s shocking. I’d tell them to stick it. Say - Are you having a laugh? If more workers did that and the agencies couldn’t recruit they’d have to up their game.

pinkquartz Fri 21-Feb-20 11:40:51

Greymar

The carer doesn't set their own timetable of visits...the Agency does and the Social Services are the ones deciding how much time is given.
Please do not lay this on the carer. I have known many carers stay for longer and not paid out of compassion.What can you do in 15 mins?

Urmstongran Fri 21-Feb-20 11:37:22

Apologies. * Welshwife

Urmstongran Fri 21-Feb-20 11:36:41

Yes but Germany wants immigrants Welshgran their economy needs them. Us, not so much.

Welshwife Fri 21-Feb-20 10:51:59

The fees that the U.K. intends to charge people passing the points test are the highest in the world - they also need to pay for any family coming with them - before the charge for the NHS is added on. This fee alone will keep people away when countries such as Germany charge nothing.

Greymar Fri 21-Feb-20 10:29:48

Thousands of tonnes of fruit and vegetables are being left to rot in UK fields because of a shortage of pickers and packers in the face of continuing Brexit uncertainty

Perhaps we should all skip down to our local farms with baskets and lend a hand.

vegansrock Fri 21-Feb-20 09:47:44

And those not living near farms should....? I know- pay someone to pick the fruit and veg!
Also, if someone needs to be “trained” to take the place of unskilled workers then they’re aren’t “unskilled” are they? I think it’s demeaning to call care workers “unskilled”- low paid, yes, but many are supremely skilled in what they do.

notanan2 Fri 21-Feb-20 09:34:03

Agree suzie the HO isnt fit to run a bake sale given its track record.

Re fruit picking. It USED to be quite a desirable job amongst students and back packers. It had hostel syle but decent accomodation and hours that allowef time for fun and enough pay to save up a deceny amount over the season... but conditions are so bad now.

suziewoozie Fri 21-Feb-20 09:24:55

One serious issue is going to be the actual operational implementation of the scheme. The past ( and current) record of the Home Office does not exactly inspire confidence does it? I never got over the fact that the EU settlement application process was only designed to work on android phones and not IPhones as well. In order to get a visa, a whole plethora of evidence will have to be collected and verified. Will this be done in the country of origin? I suppose it will have to be be to check authenticity of documentation etc. I suppose there must be systems in place already in non-EU countries which will be rolled out into EU countries. But I think there are new requirements across the board which are not in operation at the moment anywhere.

notanan2 Fri 21-Feb-20 09:16:12

Has anyone else read www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Caravans-Marina-Lewycka/dp/024196184X?tag=gransnetforum-21

I do not think that Brits are being fussy or lazy for not wanting to work on a lot of british farms these days. Most of the immigrants who do dont want to either once they see the conditions but get stuck, passports held. Slavery is rife in that industry..

Something had to give.