Gransnet forums

Chat

plastic twenty pound notes released Thursday

(21 Posts)
bikergran Tue 25-Feb-20 09:45:01

You now realise that all of you that have piles of old notes stashed under your mattress (in order to even the mattress out of course) hmm are going to have to spend them smile

SueH49 Mon 24-Feb-20 06:04:02

The good thing about them is that if they end up in the washing machine they survive, unlike the old ones.

Moocow Sun 23-Feb-20 23:36:04

Similar experience to you tanith

sarahellenwhitney Fri 21-Feb-20 11:48:20

JackyB.
Rest assured British currency notes are legal tender what ever their shape or texture. I myself dislike the new plastic type form and using a 'card' for almost everything as the less of this 'toy town' money I have to carry the better .I feel it safer as you can't replace a lost £20 note but can replace a lost card.Enjoy your visit. Hope it stops raining.?

Roses Fri 21-Feb-20 11:34:32

I welcome them as my young dog loves to chew them if she can get hold of them, she never bothered with the plastic notes but destroyed a hundred and sixty pounds in twenties
Fortunately there were enough bits left for the bank to exchange them

Baggs Fri 21-Feb-20 11:23:29

bikergran, I bet someone will invent a checkout note ironing device ?

Necessity. Mother. Invention.

SueH49 Fri 21-Feb-20 11:19:58

We have had plastic notes in Australia for decades. One does get used to them - no choice really. Not liking them is a first world problem.

Kalu Fri 21-Feb-20 10:43:21

In my youth, I forgot to take a £5 note out of the pocket of my denims and put them into the washing machine. Result was a soggy tattered unusable £5 which as a student nurse I could not afford to,lose.

I would imagine the plastic notes will be much cleaner and less grubby.

Nortsat46 Fri 21-Feb-20 08:32:42

I don’t like them either and find them awkward to fold, to fit into a small purse.
Regarding the paper £20 notes - the BBC was reporting yesterday that there is currently no deadline for their withdrawal, they will simply be removed from circulation, gradually. Though the expectation is that a six month notice period would be applied before any final withdrawal.
They also reported that millions of pounds worth of paper £10 and £5 notes have never been surrendered! So large quantities of those are still in existence somewhere.
Apparently if you have old £5 or £10 notes, the Bank of England will still exchange them for legal tender.
(I wish I had a forgotten box full tucked away ...) ??

bikergran Fri 21-Feb-20 08:18:28

I work on a checkout so handling notes all the time. once this plastic money has been folded sort of concertina style..it becomes a "Jack in a box" no amount of trying to straighten it and place it in the till along with all the others, once folded they have a mind of there own and become like little springs! hmm

TrendyNannie6 Thu 20-Feb-20 18:52:29

I know what you mean Tanith, same thing happened to me when they first came out. Learnt my lesson though,never put them in pocket again

timetogo2016 Thu 20-Feb-20 12:40:56

Don`t like them at all also were supposed to be going plastic free.
I believe the old ones are out of circulation around September time this year.

tanith Thu 20-Feb-20 11:18:44

Don’t like them since I lost a fiver I’d put in my pocket to walk to the paper shop and it wriggled it’s way out of my pocket so I had to walk home empty handed and no I didn’t find it on the way home. Way too slippery by far.

craftergran Thu 20-Feb-20 10:06:00

More plastic. I suppose they at least won't be thrown into landfill.

harrigran Thu 20-Feb-20 09:44:57

We usually have about six months from introduction to the withdrawal of the old notes.
You can still take them to a bank after that, I had to do it when I found £60 in old fivers tucked in an envelope in the safe. Goodness knows why it was there, probably put aside for GC's pocket money.

JackyB Thu 20-Feb-20 09:33:44

When will the old ones be made obsolete? I bought a load of sterling cash when the pound was low and don't want to find,when I travel to the UK next, that the money in my purse won't be accepted. I almost had that trouble with the last lot.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:20:39

I do not care what they are made of, anyone who doesn't like the new ones are welcome to pass them my way grin

Baggs Thu 20-Feb-20 08:55:06

Back in the early seventies, youth hostelling in the Lakes, we got so wet on a long hike one day that when we arrived at a small shop and went in for supplies, we had to peel our £1 notes (remember those!) very carefully out of our wallets because they were sodden.

Plastic notes will be easier to deal with in such conditions.

Shropshirelass Thu 20-Feb-20 08:31:32

I don't like the new notes and bank/building society staff don't either. They are so springy and if they have been folded you can't 'unfold' them easily. My mother is blind and she really struggles in spite of Braille on the £10. Horrible things.

MawB Thu 20-Feb-20 08:26:00

I’ll have some, please grin

infoman Thu 20-Feb-20 06:44:20

on the 20/02/2020