Gransnet forums

Chat

That's Nice or is it Marvellous, Brilliant, Kind, Comforting, Pretty ....?

(140 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 20-Feb-20 11:40:45

I was taught, both at Primary and Secondary School , to eschew the use of the word Nice which was lazy and to seek a more precise/appropriate descriptive adjective. Consequently, every use of the word on Gransnet Forums, leaps out at me and makes my hackles rise. The only time I use the word is sarcastically, as in 'That was nice of her' when in fact is was rude, upsetting, or belittling.

Anyone else?

Lizbethann55 Mon 24-Feb-20 16:31:52

Rufus 2. It was to make us think and find better ways of expressing ourselves. eg "I received a letter" rather than "got a letter". Or "I mounted a horse" rather than "got on a horse". It was so long ago now, well over 50 years, but it must have made an impact on me for me to remember it! I still try not to use the word "got" too often. But it is such an easy word to use!

Rufus2 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:09:47

We had to re write it without using "got" at all
I don't get it! hmm I suppose you were too young to ask why!.

Lizbethann55 Mon 24-Feb-20 09:25:21

I remember when I was still at primary school we were given a piece of text that used "got" many times. We had to re write it without using "got" at all.

arosebyanyothername Sun 23-Feb-20 11:33:56

I was also taught to find better alternatives to nice but haven’t really thought about it for years. I’ll probably be hearing it constantly now.
What really gets me is the overuse of properly marvellous & huge ?

Rufus2 Sun 23-Feb-20 09:08:27

For get lost surely ‘go away!
polly No way! It doesn't convey the sense of aggression required by the situations I have in mind! grin
Consider just a few of the Classics:
"Get thee behind me Satan"
Get thee to a Nunnery"
" I've got you under my skin!"
Are you going to re-write all such classics based on synonyms?
If so, Good Luck, but you must admit you've lost the argument! grin
OoRoo

Trixee Sat 22-Feb-20 22:44:40

Nice one Cyril

BlueSky Sat 22-Feb-20 11:42:00

Hands off Nice biscuits my favourite! You can't beat that lovely coconut taste with a nice cup of tea! It takes me straight back to the '70s when we didn't have the huge choice we have now. brew

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 11:11:21

Word snobbery:
The true snob never rests; there is always a higher goal to attain, and there are, by the same token, always more and more people to look down upon.

grin

Bluegrass Sat 22-Feb-20 10:57:14

I think that in many conversations with close friends it's perfectly appropriate. If I use the word to acknowledge a comment from my husband, he will say "NICE?!!" It apparently doesn't demonstrate any enthusiasm. ?

pollyperkins Sat 22-Feb-20 09:55:20

For get lost surely ‘go away!’

Rufus2 Sat 22-Feb-20 08:03:16

Growing up in Scotland we were taught never to use the verb "to get"
Grandtente OK! So what synonym would you use instead of "Get lost!" "Get nicked!" "Get stuffed!" ? grin
Bear in mind you're in the car and haven't got time to look up your Thesaurus, before the other driver has sped off! It has to be pithy; I can think of many more, but you'd get yourself deleted if you tried them here! grin
OoRoo

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:40:49

I haven't tried those.
Does it hide the cow?

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 23:33:15

The chocolate coated ones are nice.

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:32:20

confused that's not what I typed!

Malted milk

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:31:29

grin
Yes, I'd eat one if I was really desperate. But I've never bought any.

Ma,fed milk, mmm. Aka cow biscuits.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 23:30:07

Oh no! Give me a malted milk anytime. A Nice is only for absolute emergencies, when there is nothing else in the house.

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:27:58

No one nicked them, that's for sure smile

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:26:38

BradfordLass

I have just realised that the underlying taste is coconut.
They were always left at the bottom of the tin when we were children. I don't know why mum bought them, perhaps because she had been to Nice!!

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 23:26:27

I'm sure I read somewhere that "How nice for you" is the queen's put down to people she isn't keen on.

Lizbethann55 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:23:41

My MiL said " that's nice" when my DH and I told her we were engaged. I never did like her very much!!??

BradfordLass73 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:15:14

Callistemon I had a dear great-aunt who, when caught up in the debate as to whether the biscuits were named for their pleasant taste or the area in France, declare she was going to call them Nickers from then on.
smile

BradfordLass73 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:06:22

I was taught the same thing, 'nice is not nice'. Doesn't mean I believed it!
If I want to use the word, I will.

It comes into the same categoray as being told some foods are unhealthy. No food is unhealthy unless of course it is rotten or one has a sever allergy to it. Nor is there any reason be afraid or feel guilty about eating anything just because someone says you should be.
The good health, or lack thereof is in the way food is used.

However, I will not use the word 'stunning' in place of 'nice'.
It's acceptable in context (Home Kill, vet, fishing and other physical attack) but as far as I am aware, someone on Facebook posting a pretty photo has never actually stunned anyone.

Although many times I wish it had.

grin

Evie64 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:02:48

I once said to my granddaughter that something was marvellous. She said "I've never heard someone say that, I've only ever read it in books". Shame.

Vampire Queen, yes, Nice biscuits and mug of tea, delish. But you have to really quick when you dip them though don't you!

GreenGran78 Fri 21-Feb-20 19:27:04

Rufus2 don’t you remember “eschew, eschew, we all fall down,”

00mam00 Fri 21-Feb-20 18:58:04

We use it often in memory of a lovely old northern friend of ours, long since departed who frequently used it. (Notice I had to use the word frequently instead of often so as not to repeat myself).

I cannot remember being told not to use the ‘N’ word. But as I am dyslexic, maybe it went right over my head.

I do remember that you should not start a sentence with ‘But’, but it seems common practice now, so I give in.