Gransnet forums

Chat

Gas cooker or electric which do you prefer

(127 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:42:48

We have gas hob, electric oven. Don’t think would ever want to go back to all electric

notanan2 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:10:44

Boring as hell BUT if youre gutting take the opportunity to TOTALLY rewire. Makes such a difference Vs working around existing wiring

M0nica Sat 29-Feb-20 09:28:30

The first time we fit a replacement kitchen in any house we have bought we always make sure an electric cooker point is included, even though we have never had a cooker which needed one - until two years ago when I was unable to get an all gas range cooker to fit the hole it has to fit into and had to get a dual fuel cooker.

We were just able to uncouple and replace the gas feed and put the plug in to the cooker power point we installed over 20 years ago.

Missfoodlove Sat 29-Feb-20 08:47:35

An AGA or similar is surely long term more eco friendly doe to its longevity.

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Feb-20 08:30:08

MissAdventure I think you'll find that large electric appliances need wiring in. This means new sockets anyway. The issue is not the socket itself but the available current in your kitchen. Ours, for example has not got enough "spare current" for the big double oven I would have liked without extra cabling being done.

MissAdventure Fri 28-Feb-20 23:01:42

I have just realised that my kitchen sockets aren't suitable for an electric cooker, so, it will have to be gas for the time being.

LadyGracie Fri 28-Feb-20 22:56:51

Double electric oven and induction hob. I always had a gas hob until a few months ago. I would never go back to gas, electricity is so much cleaner.

We also bought a double ring camping stove in case of power cuts.

M0nica Fri 28-Feb-20 19:44:57

I have always cooked on gas, but accept that part of my future contribution to reducing global warming will include replacing my gas cooker with an electric one

Shropshirelass Fri 28-Feb-20 09:33:05

Gas hob!

Shropshirelass Fri 28-Feb-20 09:32:48

I have an Aga, Gas job and electric ovens, three of them plus the grill. I use the low heat oven all the time, pop a meal in first thing in the morning and it is ready to eat at night, tender and tasty. I love the gas hob, but induction jobs are so much easier to clean.

Jane43 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:34:09

We had a new kitchen 18 months ago and replaced the under unit electric cooker with a double oven in a housing unit and the oven is so much easier to clean, no more crouching on the floor, a bonus is that we have drawers for baking tins underneath but a cupboard above for things we don’t use on a regular basis. We have also preferred a gas hob since the mid 1980s because is so much easier to control than electric but when we had the new kitchen DH persuaded me to try an induction hob. I was converted as soon as I started to use it, not only is it easy to control the heat it is so much easier to clean, just a wipe over and an occasional clean with Hob Brite. It was also an excuse to buy some nice new saucepans.

Catterygirl Mon 24-Feb-20 10:07:02

I used to have a ceramic hob when living in Spain, where they are pretty common. So easy to clean. Renting now, so have gas hob, very difficult to simmer as if I turn it too low it blows out. Years ago I had a free standing New World cooker with an eye level gas grill, so great for bacon or pork chops.

Mythbirtthedragon Mon 24-Feb-20 09:07:45

Had gas hob and electric oven for 30 years in this house. Switched to an induction hob recently and am so happy with it. Still have the electric oven that I never clean; DP has his uses.

Lilyflower Sun 23-Feb-20 23:06:11

To lose one parrot Mr Worthing .....

grandtanteJE65 Sun 23-Feb-20 17:25:35

I have always cooked on gas until this last move.

We can't have gas here and the hassle of fetching cylinders of Calor gas all the time didn't appeal to us, so we settled for and induction hop and an electric oven.

The hob is marvellous, but I do sometimes miss gas all the same.

CarlyD7 Sun 23-Feb-20 15:24:08

We have a gas hob and a gas oven, but I've become aware that all gas appliances throw off nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide - that's why it's important to regularly open windows and doors if you cook with gas. Also, gas is a fossil fuel - the production of which is contributing to global warming and we will be encouraged to switch to electricity in the years to come (hopefully generated by solar panels on our roofs and renewable energy by the companies concerned!)

Unicorngran Sun 23-Feb-20 13:00:43

I always cooked on gas until I was moved in to a sheltered flat 5 years ago.
The contract states we have to use what they have put in and were told who we had to insure with. No choice.
I have gotten used to it but would have preferred a completely separate grill (not an all in one oven and grill) and don't like using the electric hobs.
I don't feel I have the same control over the electric hobs as I did with the gas

Yangste1007 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:46:23

Obviously that should read hob.

Annecoop Sun 23-Feb-20 12:44:26

Induction job is the best. Quick easy to keep clean. Won't go back to gas.

Yangste1007 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:43:10

Induction job and pyrolitic oven. I would never have anything else. The other thing in our kitchen I would not be without is a waste disposal unit.

Parklife1 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:23:02

Induction hob and self cleaning electric oven. No contest.

Nightsky2 Sun 23-Feb-20 10:20:27

Wouldn’t be without my Aga, gas fired. I also have a built in electric oven which gets used occasionally and I can recommend induction as we had one in our place in our holiday house, spoil for choice you could say. Would never go back to a gas hob which I had for years when my children were growing up. If I had to be without my Aga I would choose induction as it’s super quick to use, is so easy to clean and it looks very nice.

Magrithea Sun 23-Feb-20 10:15:53

Should have had an LPG (we're not on the gas main) hob installed when the kitchen was fitted. Use the Aga mostly but today it's so windy I'll have to use the electric oven and hob hmm

Riggie Sun 23-Feb-20 10:08:16

Kathyd - a camping stove would be a good idea. Or we would have to move to a hotel!!!

Applegran Sun 23-Feb-20 10:01:35

I have had a gas hob and electric oven and would never go back to it, now I have induction hob and electric oven. Induction has all the benefits of gas - easy to put it hotter or cooler instantly - but is easier to clean, and has no gas fumes. Also electricity is much better environmentally. Induction wins every time, for me.

4allweknow Sun 23-Feb-20 10:00:31

My electric fan oven is self cleaning. I also have the pull out runners fitted so shelves are very easy to move in and out. Shelves, runners and racks all have to be removed for the self clean. I simply put some a biological washing powder in the bath, fill enough to cover all the racks etc and leave for a few hours or until convenient to rinse off. Unless really burnt on grease usually a wipe does. No need for the oven cleaner type chemicals or plastic bags.