Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogless

(53 Posts)
AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:02:40

For many and varied reasons I am unable to have a dog. I have become a dog envier. I go for walks a lot and have met all sorts of dogs and some I know quite well. I love to hear the owners stories about their dogs, many of whom are rescue dogs.

Do any GNs have dogs? I would love to hear your stories.

grannysyb Sat 22-Feb-20 18:41:51

Have had 3 Great Danes, the last two were rescues, and wonderful. Our last one was dumped in Aberdeen and was the most perfect gentle girl. As DH doesn't walk too well we haven't had another dog but we may succumb one day!

Jojo2wyatr Sat 22-Feb-20 18:48:55

We have a little black pug ( well actually, she's black and grey since she is 14yrs). She is a constant source of giggles as she thinks she is a human so acts according. She loves to take HERSELF on walks since she knows the route. She isn't allowed to do this since we have coyotes all around, but she can spot a door or gate that's been accidentally left open from a mile away! We recently found out that she's fallen deaf...hard to tell how long though as she would ignore us our calls half the time

Buffybee Sat 22-Feb-20 19:49:30

Hi AGAA4, thanks for this thread, I love reading about other posters dogs.
I've never been without a dog or two since I left home at 19, there is always the sadness when they 'go' but the joy of all the years with them, far outweighs the sadness. I think back to all my girls and I smile and love them still.
At the moment I am dreading my old girl leaving me, she's a rescued cross Lab and 16 now, she's been an absolute Angel, with the sweetest nature you could wish to meet. She's still reasonably fit for her age, with just a bit of stiffness in her back legs but still enjoying her life and very short walks.
Next week I am going to pick up my puppy, probably the last one I will ever have. She's a Cavapoo and looks like a teddy bear, I've met her once and am totally smitten. I am naming her Dolly Dimple or Dolly for short. Everything is prepared for her and to say I am over the moon, is an understatement.
I'm lucky in that we are quite a 'doggy family ', so we all swop our dogs around for holidays or whatever but more often than not they end up here at Grandma's. Daughters family have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who has been here this afternoon as they went out for the day and Son's family have a Border Terrier, the only boy.
All the dogs are happy at any of our houses and I'm very lucky to still be able to have a dog because of this back-up.

Buffybee Sat 22-Feb-20 19:56:34

Jojo your little girl sounds a real character, I've found that most of my smaller dogs think that they are human, they're so funny.
A bit scary if you have coyotes and she's taking herself a walk.
You must be in the USA!

Hetty58 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:08:00

I always had rescue dogs. First, an elderly mongrel, then an OE sheepdog X golden retriever, next a Great Dane X German Shepherd (massive - he accidentally pulled my shoulder out) - until my present little JRT who was bought as a surprise by my son. He was worried about how gloomy I was in a dogless state!

Why can you not have one AGAA4? My neighbour fosters guide dogs in training (those who fret in kennels). It is entirely cost free and they only need a walk at weekends.

They are collected for the day for training, returned late afternoon. She has them for a few months at a time, so holidays are no problem. Maybe you could volunteer to help with dogs in some way. Do look into it!

millymouge Sat 22-Feb-20 20:21:29

We have two rescue greyhounds, the girl is 5 and the boy 12. We lost a little girl last year at 15 a great age for a greyhound. We still miss her. We have had dogs all our married life, usually two at a time. Over the years we have had a Labrador, 2 collies, 3 Dobermanns, a lurcher and 4 greyhounds, a real assortment. Nine of these were rescue dogs. In our opinion they are all wonderful.

NanaandGrampy Sat 22-Feb-20 20:44:51

We live in Sams house !

He’s a Cavalier King Charles .

He lets us sit on the sofa with him , we’re encouraged to supply treats. He takes us on long walks and when we’re feeling low he’ll hand out cuddles.

I’m glad he picked us !

sodapop Sat 22-Feb-20 21:30:44

So true N&G we are lucky our JR allows us to live in his house and pander to his every whim. grin

Buffybee Sat 22-Feb-20 21:49:02

They all definitely ‘rule the roost’
as they say!
My old girl knows the time and will know when it’s breakfast and dinner time, then 9o’clock treat time, (a dental stick) before she goes to bed.
She doesn’t go on the furniture, thank goodness, as she’s so hairy but has a bed in every room.
Don’t we spoil them?

etheltbags1 Sat 22-Feb-20 22:49:14

I would love a dog but I don't think I could afford one nor be able to walk it. I sympathise with this posters feelings

MiniMoon Sat 22-Feb-20 22:59:46

When our last little terrier died at the grand old age of 18, we decided not to have another dog.
I really miss having a dog around the house, but on the other hand, I enjoy the freedom of being able to come and go as we please without having to make arrangements for a dog sitter.

Dollymac Sat 22-Feb-20 23:06:41

So we have a cocker, he really is the most beautiful boy, wish I knew how to post pics on here....
Dog walking has found us new friends, it's certainly a community out there ...
When our last dog died, we, of course, said never again, but we succumbed
Such a lot of love from one little cute, good hearted little guy
We feel lucky to have him

SueH49 Sun 23-Feb-20 06:47:07

I've had multiple dogs at a time over the last 4 years. I bred Airedale Terriers for 30 years and showed them on and off, making several up to Champions. At the moment I only have one, she is 5 and a half, but due to my health issues I am not really able to give her the attention she needs. At the moment exercise is not an issue as we have acreage and she can run until her heart is content but we are shortly moving to a small block and that may well become an issue. Realistically I should find a new home for her but that is so hard to admit. Over the years I have seen many succumb to old age and it never gets any easier to say goodbye to any of them but making the decision that you cannot care for them any longer and finding a new home is so much harder.

SueH49 Sun 23-Feb-20 06:47:58

That should be over the last 47 years

sodapop Sun 23-Feb-20 08:46:10

Oh SueH49 that is a shame, could you find someone to help out with dog walking when you move. My granddaughter does this for a friend who has limited time, works out well for both of them and the dog.

Curlywhirly Sun 23-Feb-20 09:19:37

SueH49 like Sodapop I would suggest making enquiries to see if there are any teenagers in your new area who would walk your dog for some pocket money. Or failing that, maybe get a professional dog walker (if you can afford it) to walk your dog a few/each day(s) a week. It would be heartbreaking to have to give your dog up.

Witzend Sun 23-Feb-20 09:30:57

We’ve had two, both much loved but long gone.

I’d love another - and Gdcs would love it! - but although he’s still a dog lover, dh is against the idea because they are such a tie, and sadly that is true. You can’t go out for the day unless it’s anywhere you can take the dog, and you can’t go away on an impromptu basis (unless you can take the dog) because at least anywhere around here, kennels usually need to be booked well in advance - and they’re very expensive.

And there’s nobody we could ask to look after a dog even for a weekend.
We do occasionally look after a neighbour’s dog for a day, which is better than nothing.

And of course the house does stay a lot cleaner and tidier when you no longer have muddy paws in and out, dog hair all up the stair carpet, etc. - not that any of that would put me off if the other things didn’t matter.

AGAA4 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:03:10

Thank you so much for sharing your dog stories with me. I have enjoyed reading every one. I feel for those of you who have lost much loved dogs. You must carry that little bag of sadness with you but have had many happy times with your dog.
N&G. That made me laugh. Your spaniel certainly is top dog and you know your place!
I have had a lucky day. On my walk I had a cuddle with a 4 month old puppy and later my grandson visited aged 9months so more cuddles. Both adorable!

SueH49 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:57:44

Sodapop and Curlywhirly, I will not be making any rash decisions on this matter and will explore all possibilities before I take such a drastic step.

I guess the point I was trying to make though is that before getting a pet you need to look ahead several years and make a considered decision about your ability to care for the animal for it's expected lifespan.

Yehbutnobut Mon 24-Feb-20 11:57:05

Don’t be put off rescuing a senior dog. We took in a 14-year old that nobody wanted. A scared, and scarred, old lady who was so pitiful and lost.

I don’t know what went on in her previous life, in fact I don’t want to know. Now a year on she’s a different animal. She had so much love to give. I don’t expect we will have her much longer as she’s now 15. What I do know is that shes’s at least going to live out her remaining time loved, fed and warm. ??

suzette1613 Mon 24-Feb-20 12:39:36

Great thread! I have only been without dogs when I was at university and the few years until I married, we have always had terriers in the family. I have a lovely old border terrier just now, he was a rescue (always take in rescues) at 9 but is lively and sociable. He even gets on with our Siamese cat, which thinks it is a dog anyway!
We also have a wire fox terrier x which arrived as a puppy three years ago, she had been some family`s Christmas present and was unwanted. This makes me so cross! She is lovely and gets on well with the old dog too.

suzette1613 Mon 24-Feb-20 12:45:04

SueH49, don`t mind me suggesting this, but have you heard about airedalerescue uk or planet airedale online? If you really get to the stage of not managing, they can find a really good and Airedale-knowledgeable home for any dog.
My friend adopted a lovely bitch from them some years ago.

QuaintIrene Mon 24-Feb-20 13:14:48

My cat died yesterday and then got the very sad news that my eldest sister died. Not unexpected with hindsight. But she has 2 dogs. Both getting on, and I thought that they would have to come to me. I felt a bit ambivalent to be honest. Tiny house, one cat who might have a fit . She’s not a sharer. Cost of food, vets bills...but I would. It’s taken out of my hands though as my other sister is taking them. They have a big house and garden.
We always had dogs growing up. Whippets and greyhounds that were retired. Lovely dogs but chased anything that moved !
My last dog was a staffie cross. A beautiful gentle soul. I still miss her.

Buffybee Mon 24-Feb-20 13:23:10

So sorry about your sad news QIrene,
Take care of yourself flowers

AGAA4 Mon 24-Feb-20 15:14:40

yehbut. It is good to hear about rescue dogs who now have a happy home.
QIrene. Such sad news.