Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a special song that brings back happy memories?

(77 Posts)
DanniRae Tue 25-Feb-20 11:18:48

I just heard mine on the radio grin
Back in February 1984 I was pregnant. I was already lucky to have 2 daughters and when I went to have a very thorough scan (because of family medical problems) they said do you want to know what it is? Of course I did! "Well it's a boy" they said. I was so excited I nearly fell off of the bed. BUT my husband had said all along that he didn't want to know what we were having ...... so I had to keep it myself........right until August. So what is 'my song' - Of course it is "Let's hear it for the BOY" by Deniece Williams.
My son is now 35 and every time I hear this song I am back in 1984 and remember what a happy time it was for all of us smile

Anannymous Sun 01-Mar-20 08:44:42

Waterloo sunset (when I first met my husband).
Maggie May (played over and over at our wedding)

Suzyb Sun 01-Mar-20 08:05:32

I love An Innocent Man by Billy Joel

Brown Girl in the Ring by Boney M..I used to dance with my baby daughter in the summer of ‘78 when she was a few months old. I can hear her chuckling now as I swung her round.

Stay Another Day by East 17 was in the charts when she left to spend a year in America when she was 17. I would have given anything for her not to go even though we knew it was such an opportunity for her.

marpau Thu 27-Feb-20 22:41:45

Everybody needs a friend wishbone ash and goodbye my lover james blunt too personal to share but very special to me

3nanny6 Thu 27-Feb-20 15:17:33

Laurensnan ; what a beautiful and also sad post, but I think that song came along for you and was able to give you beautiful memories so hang on to that.

I like UB 40 as well and have an old c.d. of theirs that I pull out every once in a while, I like Kingston Town no particular reason but the melody just seems to feel good sometimes.

Nvella Thu 27-Feb-20 15:01:11

America by Simon and Garfunkel (“Let us be lovers we’ll marry our fortune together”) - the first song I ever heard in stereo over headphones!
And Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen

rafichagran Thu 27-Feb-20 13:54:09

Iris by GooGoo dolls. I can really relate to it.

Oldwoman70 Thu 27-Feb-20 13:43:59

Dedicated to the one I love by Mamas and the Papas. My DH had just proposed to me, we went for a celebration drink and as we walked into the pub this song was playing.

cupcake1 Thu 27-Feb-20 11:42:55

Mine and my lovely DH of 38 years have It Started With a Kiss by Hot Chocolate - says it all really!!

cupcake1 Thu 27-Feb-20 11:21:33

wolfie1 I always remember Band of Gold on my honeymoon (a week earlier than yours 19th September 1970!) and thought the words of the song were a bit depressing for newlyweds! I was proved right as 11 years later we were divorced after years of misery due to his alcoholism.

Laurensnan Thu 27-Feb-20 10:21:06

Red Red Wine by UB40. When I played it on the record player once, while rocking my new born son, he fell asleep. Thereafter if he ever got restless I would cuddle him and sway to the music .... and he fell asleep. He ended up dancing around to it as a toddler. The only downside was once when he was in his buggy he was singing the sentence 'red red wine' as I pushed him along ha,ha. He died when he was 26 of cancer and whenever I hear that song it makes me cry at the memories. Sadly the song now has more meaning with the sadness to the lyrics. Thankfully I don't drink red wine!

Mbra12 Thu 27-Feb-20 00:50:34

Who knows how long I’ve loved you by The Beatles. I have husband who can’t say how he feels but could sing this to me and Lara’s theme from Doctor Zhivago. Popular just before our wedding so we had that as first dance

lindadoughty650 Thu 27-Feb-20 00:12:52

Yes Seadragon, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is my bittersweet memory song. I was 42, divorced from a loveless marriage, when I fell in love for the first and only time in my life. I had thought I had been in love before, but this was on another level. He was beautiful, and just what I needed at the time. I knew from the start that it was unlikely to last for ever, but for just over a year I lived in bliss.

jura2 Wed 26-Feb-20 21:51:36

Let the Sunshine in- from the original HAIR in 1970- my first ever musical smile

BlueSapphire Wed 26-Feb-20 21:46:32

Also, Stevie Wonder's 'You are the Sunshine of my Life'. DH was never one for listening to the words of songs, but this was playing on the radio one day and suddenly DH looked up and said 'That's what you are to me". I was quite overcome.

BlueSapphire Wed 26-Feb-20 21:39:40

As Coughdrop said, 'It's getting better', by Mama Cass. When I first met DH, I didn't really like him, and wasn't attracted to him. But as I got to know him the feelings grew and I realised that he was very special. We ended up together for 49 years.

Also love Nancy and Frank Sinatra's 'Something Stupid '. It was played at DH's funeral.

He died two years ago tomorrow....

Ramblingrose22 Wed 26-Feb-20 20:46:33

I can't resist mentioning Vicki Carr's hit song "It Must be Him" because it reminds me of my older sisters waiting for some boy/boyfriend or other to phone them and they would fight over who answered when the phone rang.

It would often be my mad Auntie Esther who would rattle on for a good hour. blocking the line!

garnet25 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:39:25

The Boxer by Paul Simon
All around my hat by Steeleye Span
Hey, that's no way to say goodbye by Leonard Cohen

StephLP Wed 26-Feb-20 17:34:56

My daughter had her first baby a few weeks ago - little girl. She was told she had to go into surgery following the birth because of complications - the track 'Give Me A Minute To Hold My Girl' by George Ezra was playing. Sends shivers down my spine to think of those words as she was being taken away from her new born baby. Thankfully all went well and she was back having cuddles two hours later.

Mollyplop Wed 26-Feb-20 17:30:20

Lovely Day Bill Withers reminds me of when I fell in love with my DH.

Phoebe1066 Wed 26-Feb-20 17:04:58

@jaylucy
I was at the Elton John/Beach Boys/ Eagles concert at Wembley too 1974 or 5.
Fantastic memory

Neilspurgeon0 Wed 26-Feb-20 16:57:38

Dionne Warwick, “I’ll never fall in love again” Sydney 1969, my first long trip away from home sailing from Singapore via Brisbane to Sydney for Christmas, my first Xmas away from home, Christmas Dinner on Bondai Beach, and thiscsong playing on every radio show. Fantastic memories

jura2 Wed 26-Feb-20 16:46:45

Suzanne, by Leonard Cohen. 'Our' song when we fell in love- about 50 years ago- and perhaps the song I remember most from the isle of Wight Festival- also almost 50 years ago.

Seefah Wed 26-Feb-20 16:44:30

Now We are Free, the theme song of the film Gladiator. It was my daughters first dance with her husband when they got married. They planned the dance and choreographed it for us family and guests and I had resisted crying to that point then just sobbed. They looked so so beautiful, her in a huge white wedding dress, him so handsome , starting their life together with a dance. If I hear it now I’m swept back to that moment and weep and I’m not moved so easily these days!
Thank you for sharing that grannytwoshoes, I can’t even imagine how one survives the loss of a beautiful daughter. But now I will think of Alex every time I see nationalexpress. Maybe she was sending you messages.

3nanny6 Wed 26-Feb-20 16:10:09

I live for my music sometimes that is all that gives my day a lift. I could never pick just one song as so often a song will play on radio/tv and instantly there will be a memory of my days when I was about 16 years old and living without any cares or worries. So many songs remind me of many loved ones that are no longer around and as the song plays I still see their faces in my mind so special and comforting.

seadragon Wed 26-Feb-20 15:51:56

@grannyactivist - How lovely!