Gransnet forums

Chat

10 years younger in 10 days?

(99 Posts)
b1zzle Fri 28-Feb-20 11:44:51

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry during first episode of Ch.5's new series.

Am I the only one who spent ages afterwards making resolutions about their appearance knowing that I'll never keep them?

Still, it was fun while it lasted...

Sussexborn Sun 01-Mar-20 18:01:56

If anything, Eloethan, it puts me off having of these procedures.

Sad that people name calling a teenager had such a drastic effect on the younger woman. Kindness costs nothing.

Eloethan Sun 01-Mar-20 16:49:50

I didn't watch it but if it's anything like the previous series that was on some years ago it is all about making older women feel anxious and encouraging them to have expensive procedures such as face lifts. I decided not to even take a peek at this new series (though it can be horribly fascinating) because the more viewers they get the more of these nasty programmes they will make.

If people are contented with the way they look and don't feel the need to wear make up, have their hair done, etc, etc. I think that's fine. Personally, I like to have my hair done and I do wear make up because it makes me feel better. But I would never resort to some of the horrible procedures that some women feel compelled to have. And I think it must become addictive because these women seem to go back again and again to have further procedures until some of them end up looking rather strange.

BlueSky Sun 01-Mar-20 13:48:13

I've always been told I look 'younger' till this guy told me loudly I only needed to pay the OAP's entrance ticket! Such a discreet gentleman! grin

MadeInYorkshire Sun 01-Mar-20 13:34:16

Not seen the programme as yet, but it's certainly not something I can afford!

For at least the last 6 months I have felt really poorly, constant nausea, pain in various places, declining cognitively, and definitely looked rougher than usually do which has never been great!

Anyway, the other day I met someone who I haven't seen for a few weeks and she said "wow what have you done, you look 10 years younger!?"

Bit drastic this one, but a strangulated bowel/hernia will do it! On 12th Feb when my daughter got up to work at 0530am, I was writhing in agony in the kitchen so she called an ambulance. I had a HORRIFIC time in A&E with little analgesia, which I keep having flashbacks to (complaint in hand!) and was operated on later that day as my bowel was dying.

I then spent 10 days on 30mls and hour of fluid only before my bowel finally started to work, I was in for a fortnight. I am still in pain, but nothing like it was, just the result of surgery and the effect it has had on my back over the last 16 years, and yes I agree, I do look much better!

Wouldn't recommend it mind, although it is a lot cheaper!! wink

oldgimmer1 Sun 01-Mar-20 09:51:09

baloo:

icanhandthemback seems to be asking for treatment that is cosmetic and not available on the NHS.

Where I live, it's almost impossible to get an NHS appointment, even for children.

And that's in an average city - not particularly wealthy and with many poorer inhabitants.

I paid £400 for two extractions for DD once.

Cam69 Sun 01-Mar-20 09:06:14

I am told that I look younger than I am by people who meet me for the first time- but perhaps they are only being kind. I always wear make up when going anywhere and have my hair dyed and highlighted regularly so I think that makes a difference. However, I think that you can have wrinkles but if you smile alot and try to have a positive outlook on things even when the world is so depressing at the moment you can seem younger!

Blinko Sun 01-Mar-20 08:48:45

Dillyduck, brilliant! flowers

Blinko Sun 01-Mar-20 08:46:38

I watched it on catch up. I thought both women didn't look bad at all to begin with. I notice they left the hair till the 'reveal'. I wonder if that was because just a hairdo would have made all the difference, without all the prinking and preening. Still, the exercise gave both women more self confidence and hopefully something they can maintain with tips from the professionals. If they want to, that is.

Baloothefitz Sun 01-Mar-20 03:24:03

What a shame your dentist isn't very sympathetic icanhandthemback,is it possible for you to change dentists at all ? I don't think you are getting the correct treatment.

Kartush Sat 29-Feb-20 22:52:10

Personally I don’t care if I look younger than I am or older than I am, I mean what does it really matter, you are what you are and this constant need to look younger, better, prettier is just a waste of time and energy. You are what you are

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 22:04:27

My hair is grey, thin, and more recently has added 'greasy' to the mix.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 29-Feb-20 22:01:45

Does that mean 20 years in 20 days? 30 years in 30 days? The mind boggles!!

HettyMaud Sat 29-Feb-20 21:53:25

Good hair can make a person look younger. Mine has always been wild and wiry and does its own thing. I have had a running battle with it all my life. If I didn't constantly straighten it, I'd have one bit sticking out one side and the other side would look competely different. I feel happier when I wear a hat. How I envy people with straight locks. If I didn't fuss with my hair I'd look 10 years older.Any ideas?

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 21:44:01

Well, I use the Aldi caviar one, but as you might guess, I'm probably not the best example.

I do think my skin may have improved a bit since I started using it though, because I've been told I look well a few times.

cas58 Sat 29-Feb-20 21:38:46

I've seen Aldi face cream a couple of times on here. Is it that good?

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 21:10:40

My youngest daughter's MIL is a very practical woman. She habitually walks (from her country home) to the nearest village, at the crack of dawn, to buy her newspaper. As there are no pavements, she wears a fetching high-vis yellow waistcoat (along with the usual muddy wellies, cord slacks, jumper and woolly hat.

Every day, a fellow shopper (male admirer perhaps) buys her a large bar of chocolate. She believes that he thinks she's a 'tramp or rough sleeper'! He'd be very surprised to see where she lives!

seacliff Sat 29-Feb-20 21:05:52

Both those ladies had really stunning slim figures, which really helped with the stunning new look.

I am quite over weight which I do think is very ageing. I'm trying hard to lose a bit. I think most of us don't want to look younger than we are, just to feel attractive and happy with ourselves.

kircubbin2000 Sat 29-Feb-20 21:05:10

I was a bit horrified watching the blonde one getting her eyes done. It looked as if they put the colour under her top lashes actually inside her eyelid!

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 20:52:32

LOL. MissAdventure. Gone downhill/au natural. Comme ci comme ca.

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 20:39:03

A woman after my own heart!
I do know it used to frustrate my daughter, and my ex that I look like a "bag lady".

They ought to both see how I've gone downhill from then!

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 20:34:28

I think I've joined the 'invisible oldies' brigade. My 'more natural' look is really a general lowering of standards.

I used to feel pretty if I curled my hair and painted my nails. Now - I feel pretty if I've washed my hair and cleaned under my nails! (Today, I left the hair as the oily roots were under my woolly hat.)

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 20:17:26

grin
I just think oh nobody is even going to look at me as I slop around the shop in my slippers.

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 20:15:48

MissAdventure, I don't bother these days unless it's a special occasion - then often wonder if it makes much difference!

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 19:53:53

There's nothing wrong with not trying to look your best, either.
I find I'm less and less bothered. smile

Its quite a relief now I've given up hope!

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 19:44:07

I don't place much value on looks. I'm much more interested in what people do and say. We all look old in the end!

While there's nothing wrong in trying to look our best, I'm not daft enough to believe anyone who says I look younger. They're just being polite. They'd hardly tell me I look older, now would they?