Gransnet forums

Chat

Hearing knocking on door

(44 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:50:35

Anyone ever experienced drifting off to sleep and hearing knocking on their door... all very odd

Spangles1963 Wed 04-Mar-20 19:34:39

I experience this in the early hours of the morning,about once every 3 or 4 months. Strangely enough,it happened this morning. I had woken up,but was not fully awake,when I thought I heard a sharp rapping on the front door. It was only 7 am. My foolproof way to check is to look at my cat,who always sleeps at the foot of my bed. If she looks agitated,and is looking towards the bedroom door with her ears pricked forward,I know that I probably DID hear someone knocking. If she hasn't stirred, (like this morning) I know it's nothing to worry about.

Fennel Sun 01-Mar-20 17:46:48

Very strange hmm

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Mar-20 12:08:40

Certainly not windy weather causing it fennel, lol it’s nothing like the knock from wind blowing something, as anyone that has experienced this will clarify

Fennel Sun 01-Mar-20 12:03:55

Sorry to be so prosaic, but we're having very windy weather at the moment, it could be due to that.
I always have my bedroom window open and often the blinds rattle and knock.

Dottydots Sun 01-Mar-20 11:10:47

Yes, I too have heard the dreaded knock on the door and tapping on my window when I'm in bed alone. It's very scary. I always have to get up and investigate and I'm lucky that I can look through my kitchen window and see my front door.

threexnanny Sun 01-Mar-20 11:01:38

I think this must have happened to a neighbour as she sometimes phoned us to look out of our bedroom window and see if there was anyone at her door!!!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 29-Feb-20 19:29:40

Never had the knocking at door when going to sleep but often as I am drifting into sleep these faces, in black and white, drift pass me and its not any one I know. Sometimes a face will appear, a young face and I will watch it as it ages and then disappears.But its never anyone I know. Strange.

NotTooOld Sat 29-Feb-20 18:38:47

There's another thread on here about hearing the voices of dead relatives. Am I missing something? Is it Hallowe'en?

whywhywhy Sat 29-Feb-20 16:39:52

I also used to experience something /someone sitting on the bed only when I was there alone. I used to scream and tried to turn around to look at this thing but I couldn't.

BlueSky Sat 29-Feb-20 16:33:10

When by DH has been out for the evening, I've often being woken up from my TV naps by hearing his distinctive whistle, but he's never anywhere near!

Yennifer Sat 29-Feb-20 16:26:40

I've always had night terrors, I wonder if it is related. I wonder if it is hereditary too as my children have them. Mine were more nightmare based but my children only got them when they needed the toilet in the night and couldn't wake up enough to go. Sitting them on the toilet always fixed it x

whywhywhy Sat 29-Feb-20 16:25:08

Annepl thank you for sharing. X

rockgran Sat 29-Feb-20 16:12:38

It could be a type of "exploding head syndrome" where you experience a loud noise as you drift off to sleep. Harmless apparently.

annep1 Sat 29-Feb-20 16:02:21

Just reminded me of this poem we learnt in primary school

Some one came knocking
At my wee, small door;
Someone came knocking;
I'm sure-sure-sure;
I listened, I opened,
I looked to left and right,
But nought there was a stirring
In the still dark night;
Only the busy beetle
Tap-tapping in the wall,
Only from the forest
The screech-owl's call,
Only the cricket whistling
While the dewdrops fall,
So I know not who came knocking,
At all, at all, at all.

by Walter de la Mare

Yennifer Sat 29-Feb-20 15:19:53

I feel so much less mad now x

lemongrove Sat 29-Feb-20 15:18:56

Thinking that you hear your name being called when half asleep is very common.

pinkquartz Sat 29-Feb-20 15:12:14

I get this too. Both the door knocking and my name being called. it is a bit creepy as I sleep alone.

Juliet27 Sat 29-Feb-20 15:10:27

I’ve also been convinced on more than one occasion that I’ve heard a text message being left that I’ll look at when I’m properly awake ....nothing!
I woke in the night recently, couldn’t get back to sleep so read for a while. When I turned the light out I ‘saw’ two pretty moths on the wall next to the bedside light. No sign of them in the morning.

whywhywhy Sat 29-Feb-20 15:03:18

Lemongrove it was probably me screaming "let me out"!

lemongrove Sat 29-Feb-20 14:50:43

More likely to be Cathy ( than Heathcliff).....although she would be knocking at the window and crying ‘let me in!’?

whywhywhy Sat 29-Feb-20 14:43:26

I've heard knocking on a attic door hatch at one of the houses that we lived at years ago. It was a new house, no previous owners. Neither my husband or my two children heard a thing. It could happen any time, either day or night. We lived there for 4 years and it was a troubled time between me and my husband.

3nanny6 Sat 29-Feb-20 14:01:40

Ellanvannin ; This thread is scary because when I saw it I thought of the folklore and the meaning that knocking on doors speaks of death. I am getting paranoid now as about two weeks ago I thought I heard a knock at the door and even opened it to look but nobody there. I put it down to the terrible gales and winds we were experiencing but something in the back of my mind was oh so bothered.

SueDonim Sat 29-Feb-20 13:51:22

I’ve had some of those mentioned, door bell, phone, a bell ringing. Also thunder claps and lightening flashes! I do the falling thing, as well. I nearly landed on the floor the other night when I ‘fell’.

I also dream a lot, I just assume I lead a very busy life at night. grin

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 13:23:15

Ah Calendargirl, I've been there. Very sad.

Calendargirl Sat 29-Feb-20 13:07:24

Years ago, when my cat went missing, (never found), I was always jumping up in the night to go to the door, convinced I had heard him meowing.