Gransnet forums

Chat

So Boris has been busy

(259 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 29-Feb-20 17:38:11

...but not in government matters he’s sired an offspring

BlueBelle Tue 03-Mar-20 21:18:30

hetties right the names are a bit strange Lara Lettuce ! Milo Arthur, Cassie Peaches and Theodore Apollo
So the man is going to take paternity leave, has he done anything yet ?

Callistemon Tue 03-Mar-20 20:17:31

Goodness, I have just remembered that we had a bone spoon for mustard when I was a child!!

Daddima Tue 03-Mar-20 13:31:10

A boss of mine used to say a lady always eats a boiled egg with a bone spoon!

trisher Tue 03-Mar-20 11:18:27

My mother was taught at school that a lady never goes out without her hat and gloves (and this in a working class area in the 1930's). So that's most of us ruled out!

varian Tue 03-Mar-20 10:56:02

What word eazy?

Callistemon Tue 03-Mar-20 10:22:46

No, I didn't take it like that Chestnut, I am just told occasionally by himself that I am going on a bit!
But he does acknowledge that I'm always right.
grin

eazybee Tue 03-Mar-20 09:58:57

If you are going to insult someone, Varian, at least spell the word correctly.

Chestnut Tue 03-Mar-20 09:58:26

I wasn't implying you were throwing insults Callistemon. Sorry if it read like that!
I was thinking of so many other posts which have been rude and insulting (on this and other threads). And I don't think Cherie was a lady whether first or not!

Callistemon Tue 03-Mar-20 09:36:35

Chestnut I was just being pedantic but it used to irritate me immensely when the media referred to Cherie as "First Lady".
She may well be a lady but not the nation's first one.

DH would be telling me to stop going on now smile and I will try.

Chestnut Tue 03-Mar-20 09:31:40

Okay maybe I used the term 'first lady' incorrectly as a casual description of the PM's wife. I'm not sure what else to call her.

The definition of a lady is someone who doesn't swear, doesn't run, and doesn't throw insults around on Gransnet.

varian Mon 02-Mar-20 18:49:17

In my day, our perhaps I should say our day, because most of us on Gransnet are of a certain age, a woman who slept with a married man would not have been considered a lady.

varian Mon 02-Mar-20 18:45:05

What is the definition of a lady?

Firecracker123 Mon 02-Mar-20 18:37:39

varian what an awful thing to say, are you a lady posting nasty things like that. Think some posters on here need to take a look in the mirror.

Anniebach Mon 02-Mar-20 18:34:40

Was Paddy Ashdown’s mistress a lady ?

varian Mon 02-Mar-20 18:31:29

Is the serial adulteror's latest squeeze a lady?

Callistemon Mon 02-Mar-20 17:58:58

No, the wife of a PM is not a First Lady!

First def:
Being before all other in order, time, quality, rank, importance

No, they just happen to be the wife of a Prime (of first importance) Minister.
Or husband

trisher Mon 02-Mar-20 17:41:24

Rosina I'm sure he would if there was enough cash on the table.

Anniebach Mon 02-Mar-20 17:14:27

So amusing, shock , two women sitting on a marital bed, a married woman speaks of forgetting to pack contraception,

Queen Victoria is dead ?

Chestnut Mon 02-Mar-20 17:06:15

HM The Queen is our First Lady.
Well of course, she is THE First Lady (with capital letters). ? But I meant 'first lady' in the sense of the PM's wife (no capital letters) who may or may not be an actual lady!

Rosina Mon 02-Mar-20 16:55:46

You'll be lucky trisher - he evidently 'Never discusses his private life - it isn't fair'. Seems there are plenty of people willing to do it for him!
The toe curlingly embarrassing moment for me was when a photo of Cherie Blair was front page news, with Carole (Caplan?) applying her lipstick, both sitting on the marital bed. Apart from Sally B in her sheet with the Houses of Parliament as a backdrop, I thought this particular photo of a Prime Minister's wife looking as if she might also need help to blow her nose was just about as silly as it gets.

JenniferEccles Mon 02-Mar-20 16:16:01

Yes you are probably right Anniebach !!

Anniebach Mon 02-Mar-20 16:08:24

I would think amused not chuffed

JenniferEccles Mon 02-Mar-20 16:02:51

It was more the fact that she thought it appropriate to mention it at all.

Cherie Blair’s views on the royals are quite well known but she was obviously chuffed that her child was conceived in a royal palace!

Anniebach Mon 02-Mar-20 15:16:33

I am amused some find mention of contraception as an all time low and toe curlingly embarrassing

Callistemon Mon 02-Mar-20 15:08:52

Yes, HM The Queen is our First Lady.

Cherie was the wife of the then Prime Minister with her own career.