Gransnet forums

Chat

What exactly does self-isolate mean?

(74 Posts)
polyester57 Sun 01-Mar-20 18:53:26

Exactly that. Do you shut yourself in and rely on your own supplies? What do you do if you work? Tell them you are self-isolating beause you think you may have been in contact with someone who was on a ski-ing holiday in Italy and you are now off work for two weeks on full pay? Do you never go out? What about walking the dog?

varian Sun 01-Mar-20 19:09:37

I think if you have good reason to think that you might have something infectious you should stay at home. If you go for a walk you should avoid other people. It should be easier these days as you can get food delivered.

tanith Sun 01-Mar-20 19:11:24

Ring 111 and ask advice

M0nica Sun 01-Mar-20 19:11:37

The government has said that someone who is self-isolating should treated as if on sick leave and paid.

I would imagine that you could get a supermarket delivery providing it was left on the front door mat or garden gate and you only accessed it after the delivery person had gone. Going into your garden or on a balcony shouldnt be a problem, but you would need to be careful about walking a dog, choose wide open spaces and avoid talking to anyone you meet. Pass them by leaving at least a metre between you,

For many people self-isolation will not be much problem because they can work from home. DH says overall he is expecting more skype and fewer face-to-face meetings.

DD works with people who work from home several days a week already and she did that for two days when her car had its MOT and repairs. Obviously not everyone can do this, but many can.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 01-Mar-20 19:20:16

www.gov.uk, self isolation

Tells you what to do

morethan2 Sun 01-Mar-20 19:25:46

If you self-isolate thinking your infectious then would that mean everyone who lived with you would have to self-isolate too, yes?

MissAdventure Sun 01-Mar-20 19:31:27

I'm surprised not to have seen any leaflets around, but maybe I've just missed them.

DoraMarr Sun 01-Mar-20 19:58:17

I think it is up to all of us to do what we can to limit this virus. There is plenty of advice on the UKgov website and the NHS. We should all act responsibly. This means arming ourselves with the best and most up to date information and advice.

Greenfinch Sun 01-Mar-20 20:14:27

The very large company my DS works for is certainly not paying anyone for self isolating but they have to say where they have been if they have had a holiday.

GagaJo Sun 01-Mar-20 20:21:17

They advise you to stay in a room away from others if you're infectious. If you have more than one bathroom, don't share. I'd go as far as disposable paper plates/cups to avoid the healthy inhabitants having to wash up for the infected.

janeainsworth Sun 01-Mar-20 20:22:36

I think this link works better assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869149/PHE_Guidance_Advice_sheet_for_home_isolation_English.pdf

It seems to imply that only people who are actually required to self-isolate.

janeainsworth Sun 01-Mar-20 20:23:34

Sorry, only people who are undergoing testing.

Callistemon Sun 01-Mar-20 20:39:29

I wondered about people who have returned from a country which has the virus. It is not the visit to the country which worries me as it is already here in the UK, but who may be on their flight home carrying the virus but symptomless.
They will be back to business as normal this week.

vampirequeen Mon 02-Mar-20 08:39:51

Rub yourself down with alcohol gel, wrap yourself in cling film, paint a large red cross on your front door and have a bell nearby so you can ring it and shout, "Unclean, unclean!". If your neighbours are worried they can fasten planks over your doors and windows to ensure that you don't escape and spread the pestilence.

Teetime Mon 02-Mar-20 08:55:08

I think we are being a bit slow to put control measures into our airports and docks.

Grammaretto Mon 02-Mar-20 09:15:05

Anyone who works by caring for others either at hospitals, nurseries, schools but maybe particularly the elderly and those with special needs who are totally dependent, can't just go home for 2 weeks! Who will look after all their vulnerable charges?

As for asking the Government.

I remember the Chernobyl disaster when we were threatened with the nuclear fall out here in Scotland. I phoned the helpline to ask if it would be OK to eat our free range eggs and veg from the garden only to be told "It's up to you!"

vampirequeen Mon 02-Mar-20 10:00:28

Each elderly, sick or disabled person who dies is one less pension or ESA/PIP to pay out. Do you think this government really cares about their survival?

And what are they hiding under this tsunami of corona virus fear? What laws are going to be sneaked through either as a result of the panic or on the sly because no one seems to be watching?

Rondy Mon 02-Mar-20 16:37:32

I am a retired nurse and am on stand by in case the hospital I worked in has staff shortages due the the virus.
Self isolate isn't as bad as it sounds. Put simply it means If you have a temperature, cough and sore throat stay indoors and do not mix with people until you have 48 hours without a cough. If you have an ongoing illness such as Asthma, copd, or any heart disease then you will have to ring your surgery for advice. The reason for that is because it is still winter and there are flu viruses around that ate not necessarily connected to this Coronavirus.

gardeningpower Mon 02-Mar-20 16:38:56

It's ok being advised to use Alcohol gel but have tried to get some today but there is non in the shops and have been told there is a shortage

Aepgirl Mon 02-Mar-20 16:39:37

I understand it to mean to have no physical contact with anyone for 2 weeks. I heard a lady on the radio this morning who has neighbours who are delivering supplies to her doorstep, and just ringing the doorbell.
I think we all have to act sensibly and responsibly. In these days of mobile phones and the internet we don)t have to be out of touch - just not touching.

GreenGran78 Mon 02-Mar-20 16:40:12

I have a cold, and am staying away from people as much as possible. Not just because of infection risks, but because I am tired of people asking me if I have the virus!

polnan Mon 02-Mar-20 16:48:42

I am glad we can still go walkies, not self isolating yet, but as I am claustrophobic it has been bothering me,, only small garden, so that wouldn`t constitute , to me, getting out.

Maremia Mon 02-Mar-20 17:13:30

Yes Vampirequeen, I saw that excerpt from The Times newspaper about how it might be better just to let the virus rampage through the population and die out quickly, (along with loads of expendable, non productive pensioners...well that was the sub text). By doing this, the markets could be saved. Chilling!
Yes again, under the guise of emergency planning, they will do as they please. How awful to feel this absolute distrust of government.

Alison333 Mon 02-Mar-20 17:17:03

Vampire queen's instructions on how to self-isolate made me lol (as young people say) - very funny! I know this is a nasty illness but it's important not to overdo the gloom and doom. Just glad I don't live in the 14th or 17th centuries.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 02-Mar-20 17:25:51

I don't know what the rules are in the UK, but here in Denmark those who have been in contact with anyone suffering from the corona virus are being quarantined in their homes.

They are not allowed to go out. Family or friends, or delivery boys leave food etc on their doorstep and ring the bell. The quarantined person waits until they have left before opening the door to fetch whatever has been delivered. Rubbish may be put outside the front door and left to be collected by a neighbour.

Anyone who suspects they may have contracted the virus is to remain indoors and phone their doctor. In no circumstances may they go to the surgery.

I assume but have not heard that they receive sick pay during this fortnight's quarantine.