Gransnet forums

Chat

Facebook friend suggestion

(12 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 02-Mar-20 11:33:54

My friend tragically lost her daughter to cancer 5 years ago and was (and still is) devastated. I opened my FB page and there was a 'people you might like to make friends with' box with a picture of my friends deceased child . I'm not sure what to do. My husband says that her Facebook account must still be active and that the connection is with the link to her mum (my friend). I'm not a big social media person and seldom post anything but like to catch up with what my FB friends are doing and I am not sure how it all works. I am very reluctant to tell my friend (I'm sure she would be uncontrollably upset)

inishowen Mon 02-Mar-20 12:02:33

Just ignore it. Facebook does these friend suggestions automatically and doesn't know the lady has died.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Mar-20 12:13:38

Just ignore it I have friends who have passed away and they are still seemingly ‘active’ I had a request to send one a birthday greeting the other week it took me aback for a few seconds but as inish says it’s just an automatic thing

marpau Mon 02-Mar-20 12:14:15

When a friend of ours lost a son he left the page open so friends and family could still talk to him. It gave comfort to some people.

merlotgran Mon 02-Mar-20 12:20:46

Photos of DD often pop up on facebook from 'friends' links. it no longer upsets me and I often do the heart/like thingy so it gets shared.

It's comforting to know she can still 'appear' out of the blue and attract comments and memories of happy times.

sodapop Mon 02-Mar-20 12:23:40

Is it me or is that a bit strange marpau talking on social media to a dead person ?
Maybe I'm less understanding as I don't do FB or any others apart from GN.

Hetty58 Mon 02-Mar-20 12:30:09

Ignore is the best advice.

Doodledog Mon 02-Mar-20 12:32:08

I think that if someone dies their account has to stay open unless they have nominated someone to close it. I suppose it is to prevent people closing one another's accounts out of spite.

You can either give your log-in details to someone you trust, and ask them to close your account for you if necessary, or there is a way of getting Facebook to do it for you. I'm not sure how that works, though, as someone would obviously have to inform them and ask them to do it.

There have been cases where bullies and trolls have posted horrible things on the pages of the deceased, and their loved ones can't do anything about it, which must be really distressing.

rosenoir Mon 02-Mar-20 13:24:52

I would ask your friend,when appropriate, if she has de activated the account. It may be something she forgot to do or she may want to leave it active.

marpau Mon 02-Mar-20 16:14:30

sodapop I find it weird but each to their own.

curvygran950 Mon 02-Mar-20 16:37:14

Ignore it . I regularly get friend ‘requests‘ from people who are already my friends; their accounts have been hacked . ’

Happygirl79 Mon 02-Mar-20 16:53:59

Its so sad that Facebook just leave accounts open indefinitely
Why can't they send an email or message via Facebook say every 2 years to ask if the account is still needed if no posts have been added in that time A statement to say
if the account holder doesn't reply within say monthly reminders x 3 they will close it
It would save such a lot of upset when the account holder is actually deceased for the family and friends