Gransnet forums

Chat

Another Scam?

(11 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 02-Mar-20 14:22:29

This morning I received a phone call from someone claiming to be from the Telephone Preference Service Management. As I have been with the TPS for years and have never had a call from them before I hung up.

I then googled TPS scams and it seems people are being cold called and offered enhanced TPS services - for a fee - and asked for card or bank details.

This is a new one on me so thought I would put out the warning.

AGAA4 Mon 02-Mar-20 14:54:42

Thanks. I have not heard of this one and will be on my guard.

sunseeker Mon 02-Mar-20 15:50:23

I haven't heard of this one either - thanks for the warning

Callistemon Mon 02-Mar-20 15:51:39

I've just had a phone call telling me that an unauthorised overseas transaction of £600 has been made on my credit card, press 1 to stop this transaction. I didn't.
hmm

Callistemon Mon 02-Mar-20 15:52:22

Thanks Oldwoman70

Juliet27 Mon 02-Mar-20 15:58:03

I've had a couple of those calls Callistemon and like you, didn't press 1

Cunco Mon 02-Mar-20 16:01:13

Oldwoman70 The TPS scam has been around for a while but no harm in giving us a reminder.

Callistemon Why is it always £600? I have had the call 2 or 3 times and it's always £600! You would have thought they would have at least changed the recording to a different amount. Sadly, I suppose they are having enough success with what they have. ☹️

callgirl1 Mon 02-Mar-20 20:33:30

I had the £600 call. I just hung up and then checked my bank account on line.

Callistemon Mon 02-Mar-20 21:18:57

I didn't realise it was always £600! Thank you for the replies.
I did shout 'Just s*d off will you" but of course it was a computer.

Panorama this evening was about the scam call centres in India - it is huge business and many are concentrated around one area.

Septimia Tue 03-Mar-20 11:56:03

Callistemon, I've just had that one.

What they say is so vague: 'Hello', with no name given, so how do they know they have the right person?

'This is the Mastercard/Visa department of your bank' - which bank???

It was £600 again. Most odd.

Have you see the YouTube videos made by Jim Browning who hacked into the offices of some of the scammers? They really don't care about the effect they have on people. Maybe they think we're all rich enough to subsidise their lifestyles.

harrigran Tue 03-Mar-20 12:37:13

I watched Panorama last night and it made my blood boil.
Out and out criminals and the only way they can be prosecuted is if you travel to Delhi and make the complaint in person.
When we get the TPS, BT, Visa card scams we tell them no they are not who they say they are we say they are Indian criminals and we know where they are, line goes dead very quickly.