Gransnet forums

Chat

I have decided to enjoy myself.......

(149 Posts)
AGAA4 Tue 03-Mar-20 15:38:51

As I am in a high risk group for Covid19 and it appears to be spreading, I have decided I am going to enjoy myself. Not putting myself at risk and taking advice on hand washing etc I will do things I want to do.
So far I have had a pleasant lunch with friends, a long walk in the countryside and have not said no to cakes and chocolate! not very adventurous I know. What would other GNs do while we wait for this virus to hopefully pass?

Newatthis Thu 05-Mar-20 20:21:31

I think it is very important that we don't become complacent and we should listen to what the government and health experts are advising and take action accordingly. This is not like the flu virus - it is very virulent and almost certainly lethal to certain high risk categories of people.

ReadyMeals Thu 05-Mar-20 20:16:00

I think most of that so-called panic buying was actually opportunists buying up stock from the supermarkets to sell at a profit online.

llizzie2 Thu 05-Mar-20 19:05:17

It really depends on your environment. If you live in a high rise apartment building where you have to use a lift, then it would be wise to wear gloves when pressing the lift buttons outside the lift and in. It is very surprising how very quickly viruses take hold. My Guillain Barre Syndrome and now CIDP was diagnosed as virus when I had a lumbar puncture.

Don't get too close to anyone. Try not to go to the hospital. They do not like old people at the best of times and you really will fare better at home where you can be a lot more comfortable than a hospital who resents you. I can never understand why people are so ready to take their elderly friends and relatives to hospital. I have told my children that they would never be considered responsible for any illness, just do not take me to hospital. I remember one elderly friend years ago telling me she had a heart attack. She said she knew nothing about it, and they resuscitated her, but she said she still had to die, just did not know when, and as she knew nothing about the heart attack she wished they had left her alone! It is not as ungrateful as it sounds. When she did get ill she spent 6 weeks in hospital waiting to die.

I do not take chances, though I do not wrap up in cotton wool either. One thing I do for cleanliness is never to have hand towels. I buy a few dozen cheap face flannels and keep them on the bathroom cabinet - just the right size - and wash my face with one, put it out for the wash, then dry with another. I dry my hands with a clean flannel. Not only has this been a success for 30 years, but they are so much easier to put in the washer and dry, so I never used the hand towels. No point for one only use and nothing to go grey. For the shower I used a bath sheet to dry myself where I can reach and a hair dryer to dry my toes and do that on the bed because I cannot bend down to them, and mop up the wet room floor with the bath sheets.

Talking about drying feet on the bed: I always put my tights, socks and shoes on on the bed where I can draw my feet up to my arms to put them on to save bending down. In fact, dressing and undressing on the bed is a lot easier than trying to stand up long enough!

GrannyBlossom Thu 05-Mar-20 18:06:15

I can’t self isolate as I work full time. I wouldn’t want to anyway.

Jojo54 Thu 05-Mar-20 17:54:29

The media need to stop all the hype - no Brexit any more so they need something to focus on!!

Casdon Thu 05-Mar-20 17:24:15

Endre123 the first part of your message I largely agree with with you but would point out that many in our 60s are still working (in the NHS in my case) - so staying at home isn’t an option. - when you get to ‘The second phase’ paragraph onwards unless you have privileged information directly from Westminster you are guilty of scaremongering - this is not 1984.

endre123 Thu 05-Mar-20 17:16:03

Granny Blossom. the first phase is for children, doctors, nurses, teachers and children. Over 60s must self isolate. If Oldies get very sick with it in the early stages they do not have to treat us if there are children and younger people also needing ventilating.

This is the only way the Govt can manage this outbrake . It tried "washing hands " but that didn't work,, the virus still spread , fast.

So it has brought it "delay", which means over 60s self isolate. Millions are already self isolating to try and save lives and stop the fast spreading of the virus.

The Govt expects the older population to be sensible and not do silly things to make them end up in hospital in the first phase.

GrannyBlossom Thu 05-Mar-20 17:05:15

I plan to carry on as normal and hope that if I catch it I catch it soon enough for there still to be NHS capacity left to treat me if I get very sick.

endre123 Thu 05-Mar-20 16:39:24

The Government is giving us rules to try and save lives. We began by washing hands with soap and hot water often and limiting travel but the numbers kept increasing.(they are not the correct numbers btw, they will soar in the next few days)

Some were not obeying that & numbers was spreading very fast so they have brought in DELAY to add to CONTAINMENT

It means the Govt are trying to control the outbreak so it doesn't become impossible for the NHS. Over 60 s should isolate themselves as much as possible. Stay in their house. If they already have a health issue it is even more important to stay in the house, like millions of others obeying the Govt. It is responsible.

We have telephones, internet to keep in touch with people, and shop. We have to telephone GPs, not turn up to the surgery to catch or spread the virus.

This first phase is for children, doctors, nurses, teachers and parents to catch the infection. And for the NHS to get to grip with a system of managing it.

The second phase , in the Summer, when doctors & nurses are recovered, is for the older population to get infected. So we as oldies should be indoors, shop on line and not mix with children. If we end up in intensive care now & it's busy they might switch it off it a child needs it.

IF people refuse to obey this the next stage is getting the military on our streets to stop all movement. That is not going to be nice but this is not a choice for anyone. No one over 60 should be putting our lives and the NHS under extra stress just now because they are selfish. It could result in mass deaths as in the early stages in Japan

This is a particularly nasty virus, if we do not heed the rules death rate could be 4%. If that happens in the early phase there will be mass burials too, which the Govt are also prepared for.

Why on earth would someone be so arrogant as to defy Govt rules about a deadly virus?

Does the Govt need to put those people in detention to stop them terrorising the nation for a cup of coffee or a holiday?

Minerva Thu 05-Mar-20 16:18:08

I am very high risk but also responsible for a 5 year old to and from school and must admit to feeling nervous. I also need to use the underground trains to hospital appointments and on Monday felt thoroughly unnerved crammed into an overcrowded carriage. I have lived through so many flu scares and never worried before.

Petalpop Thu 05-Mar-20 16:17:13

I am just in the risk age group but am not worried about me it is my husband who is at risk due to his health. I don't want to catch the virus and then spread it to him. I am taking all the precautions I can but I refuse to use public toilets because I don't believe some of those disgusting people who never wash their hands under normal circumstances will be any different now. I would rather wet my knickers than set foot inside a public loo.

AGAA4 Thu 05-Mar-20 16:14:14

Thanks again for all the different views. I am so sorry for those who feel very anxious about this virus and I don't believe many of us are taking it lightly.
As I have said I am in a high risk group and I do take precautions eg hand washing but if I am going to catch it I don't want to spend my time worrying! I am being careful as I don't want to be infected or infect others. Reasonable measures to stay well and yes make sure I have enough food to last for a while, which I always do in winter as we get snowbound sometimes.

Bodach Thu 05-Mar-20 15:46:15

Saggi et al: you can always make your own hand sanitising gel at home, using ingredients which are both cheap and still readily available. Thoroughly mix together 2/3rds 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and 1/3 Aloe Vera Gel; pour into a clean squeezy bottle, and voila! It's the alcohol that is the main anti-viral ingredient, so make sure it's a minimum of 2/3rds of the mix. The Aloe Vera Gel stabilises the alcohol, and helps protect your skin. Finally: the inevitable elf 'n safety reminder that 99% Isopropyl Alcohol is highly inflammable.

Caro57 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:27:05

Am trying to decide where I go if I need to self-isolate. DH is high risk - pacemaker dependent, asthma, heart failure, borderline diabetic. Does that qualify me for 2 weeks in a nice hotel with my Kindle, control of the TV remote, meals provided............fingers crossed!!

Madmaggie Thu 05-Mar-20 15:21:02

Must admit to washing hands more frequently (not just after the loo or before food prep) and wiping door handles with cleanser. Especially as I'm mixing with lots of children who are coughing etc but aren't covering their mouths and my last ENT infection took ages to sort out & put me low. I'm more worried for my DH whose resistance isn't as good since his cancer treatment.

BusterTank Thu 05-Mar-20 15:20:58

I will not be putting myself in situations where I am among lots of people . I will only going into public places when really necessary i.e doctors appointments . I shall be having my shopping delivered by home shopping . Why put yourself at risk , when you don't have too . Stay well everyone .

sharon103 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:14:15

I'm thinking on the same lines as you ReadyMeals Thu 05-Mar-20 12:52:56
I too know of many people who had this 'flu' type virus that lasted 6 weeks or so before Christmas including my two elderly brothers. One of whom was admitted to hospital. They all said it was something they had never had before in their lives. No energy even to make a cup of tea. It makes me wonder?

Madmaggie Thu 05-Mar-20 15:11:08

Just got home from supermarket and I'm shattered. Id made a list as normal and it was a biggish shop as we were also getting extra treats for
lunch with friends plus the
weeks groceries & a few clothing
items for myself. I was surprised to see so many empty shelves. Especially the disinfectants, pastas and tinned soups (I normally have a bowl of soup for lunch & couldn't get any of my favourites) this was a T***o Extra too. Then annoyingly the self checkout 'chose' us for a trolley check confused the lovely assistant was having problems with her scanner so it took forever, supervisor arrived because she should have been on a break, people were looking at us blush and I couldn't get out soon enough. Totally innocent btw smile

Saggi Thu 05-Mar-20 14:56:02

I’ve used hand gel for years as used to handle money for six hours a day.... I went to replenish it at Boots....they had none.... Superdrug, none..... Sainsbury’s none....local Tesco none.... so thought I’d try the wet wipes I use for my grandkids....none...none....none. Went online ....£7.00 for a small hand gel that usually costs £1...... somebody is stockpiling AND rogues are making money!

GeorgyGirl Thu 05-Mar-20 14:48:53

There's a difference between 'stockpiling' and having a sensible stock of provisions to 'Be Prepared'. People shouldn't be allowed to bulk buy in the supermarkets. I have always bought extra for stock each week, that way it builds up gradually. I am concerned being high risk, and I think this deadly virus is not to be taken lightly, it is the rate it is spreading that I find alarming.

sandelf Thu 05-Mar-20 14:43:43

Anniel, in your position I think the safest (and most considerate) thing is to stay put - firstly you add to your risk of getting ill by flying - then you cause worry to the family and you may unwittingly spread it. Enjoy the island life! (Have you SEEN the weather we are having [hollow laughter])

Parklife1 Thu 05-Mar-20 14:40:21

The panic this has engendered will vastly increase the incidence of mental health issues.

Marjgran Thu 05-Mar-20 14:15:50

Anniel* I would stay where you are for two more weeks and see! Can I join you? Pouring here

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 05-Mar-20 14:10:39

Aye Do Not BELIEVE It !!!

Seriously, at the key time when COVID-19 is just starting to travel around the globe and becoming incubated in airport lounges full of folk from Christ knows where, is this REALLY the right time for the Daily Mail to be pushing out email adverts for cheap holidays by air to fill the empty seats in business class. Frankly living where I do, and I really do not wish the company any ill will at all, the news that Flybe have gone bust this morning meant that my local airport will effectively become a ghost town this summer, which from a selfish, local NIMBY point of view is BRILLIANT news for my grandchildren and Coronavirus infection

Anniel Thu 05-Mar-20 13:37:16

Asking you all for advice. I am high risk. Serious heart condition with only one kidney plus nearly 86. I live alone in London with both sons living overseas and my daughter still working and driving 100 miles a day there and back to work. I am in St Lucia where i always spend the winter months. My son lives alone and is asking me to stay for as long as it takes for Covid 19 to go away. I am comfortable here and have my own bedroom and living space. We have a housekeeper who keeps everything in order and three dogs to love.
The more i write i think i should cancel my flight on March 16th and just relax. So what are the downsides? Medical care is reasonable but not as good as UK. I do not drive so i rely on son and friends to pick me up. I cannot just wslk to shops or cinema so would need cabs but food is fine and i can watch UK TV and have just as good internet as at home.

What would you all do in my position? Tourists may bring the virus to the island and if i did get it i may have to fly to Martinique about 10 mins flight from here. I have read that the virus hates the sun so maybe we will be lucky! Must decide by the weekend what to do!