Gransnet forums

Chat

Competition prizes - way out of reach for most

(8 Posts)
Granny23 Wed 04-Mar-20 09:41:16

Yet another competition prize - The Isles of Scilly one - which requires the winner to spend ££££s getting to the South Coast and booking accommodation at their own expense. This follows on from the Agatha Christie one, which had the same impediments for GNs in the further reaches of the UK.

I am not objecting to these luxury breaks, just asking for a bit of balance and geographic spread. I am thinking of say, Spa Breaks, which could be taken at the nearest Spa (of a chain) to the Winner, or bus tours with many pick up points,

Anyone else feeling excluded from the chance of enjoying these great prizes?

Marydoll Wed 04-Mar-20 10:12:21

I totally agree with you Granny23, some are out of the reach of many members.
However, I do like the competitions which are actual physical prizes, e.g book bundles, hampers etc.

There are many who apparently join GN, with the sole purpose of entering (and hopefully) winning competitions.
The chance of me winning are slim anyway. grin. I have very low expectations, although I won a copy the book of the month a few times, so I shouldn't complain.

Squiffy Wed 04-Mar-20 10:40:26

I agree Granny23, which is why I never bother to enter them! Your idea of spa breaks, using a chain, sounds ideal. Perhaps that could extend to any other breaks.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Mar-20 05:55:33

I don’t enter either squiffy not in my league at all

Jane10 Thu 05-Mar-20 06:44:44

I suppose that these competitions are just thinly veiled adverts. If companies further north don't make the offers there's not much GN can do about it.

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Mar-20 09:46:25

I love the GN competitions and have been lucky enough to win a couple of the big prizes over the years. One was a weekend in Stirling, so the venues are spread around a bit!

GN can really only pass on the prizes they’re offered, and they can’t all suit everyone. I’ve entered the Agatha Christie draw - even though it would be a very long trek, it’d be a great experience (I’ve always wanted to see Burgh Island).

Good luck to the grans down south with the Scilly Isles comp, though!

Chewbacca Thu 05-Mar-20 09:55:14

Yes, I saw that too Granny23 and didn't bother to enter the competion for the same reason. I'm in the NW of England and it would cost me a fortune to get to the south coast to take up the prize. But for those in Cornwall area, it would be a fantastic prize.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Mar-20 10:51:46

Hi all, smile

Thanks for raising your concerns. We work hard to source competitions that will appeal to our users, and unfortunately for some of the travel competitions, these may be limited to certain locations.

The majority of our competitions are not location specific however, and if you have a look at our competitions index, you'll find lots of prizes available to those living throughout the UK.

And, as always, if there are any particular competitions you'd like to see or brands you'd like us to work with, do let us know! grin