Gransnet forums

Chat

Jewellery

(69 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 04-Mar-20 16:38:42

This afternoon I have made an effort to sort out my pile of junk jewellery as I call it, small pile to keep but bigger pile was taken to the local charity shop.it got me thinking just how many people actually wear it now,

hollysteers Sat 16-Jan-21 19:15:34

FannyCornforth Surely not!
Sounds harmless to me lol ??

MamaCaz Sat 16-Jan-21 17:29:35

mumofmadboys

I am very lazy and wear a silver chain around my neck almost all the time- sleep in it, shower/ bath in it, swim in it. Am I unusual?

I did that for many many years, starting from when I was a teenager. I would occasionally swap it for a different one for a special event, but not often.

Then it eventually broke, and since then I rarely wear a chain at all.

LauraNorder Sat 16-Jan-21 17:22:35

I tend to stick with Pearl earrings and necklace these days as they are more flattering with older skin.
I have recycled most of my old costume jewellery in to spiders, which I give as gifts now.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Jan-21 17:01:42

I like the way Gloria Hunniford wears her necklaces picking out the colours of her jackets. She always looks perfect. A joy to see.

FannyCornforth Sat 16-Jan-21 16:47:58

Bloody hell Holly!
You can't say 'g***y'!
To paraphrase Basil Fawlty, I said it yesterday and I think that I got away with it.
(NB I reported myself to avoid any unnecessary hoo hah)

hollysteers Sat 16-Jan-21 16:13:13

I’m quite the gypsy with masses of bangles, earrings etc. ‘Good’ jewellery can be quite boring and conventional (I’m not turning it down if offered though!) and costume more bohemian. You have all just reminded me that I should put some earrings in or will lose my holes....lockdown makes me forget.
I noticed Joan Collins wearing very large rings which hide older hands, so have a nice selection of those and now have a box which displays them all just as in a shop, so easy to choose.
The gold St.Christopher stays on my neck all the time, although I tripped over after leaving the jewellers shop first time I wore it.
Happy travelling?

FannyCornforth Fri 15-Jan-21 07:15:18

I have reported the above post.
It is exactly the same post that kittylester reported up thread under a different name!
It's not a great website by the way.

Tabby cat that should answer your question re deletions!

Marietta Fri 15-Jan-21 06:59:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 14-Jan-21 12:24:06

I love jewellery and have a few cheapish earrings and 'stacker' rings. I find it hard to get a good fit with my small hands and some rings which I've only had a few years are too big now. I haven't lost that much weight.

I often hang my nose over the sparkly stuff at the supermarket but tell myself that I don't need any more.

cornishpatsy Thu 14-Jan-21 12:18:53

When I see others wearing costume jewellery some of it looks good and finishes an outfit but I feel silly wearing it.

I have some nice pieces quite expensive and some cheap however I feel as though I am playing dress up when I try to wear any and question who I am wearing it for. Wearing a necklace or brooch with no sentimental value that only others will see seems silly to me. That is in no way a criticism of any costume jewellery wearers.

nanna8 Thu 14-Jan-21 11:35:18

I had a spell when I used to make jewellery. It is amazing how much they charge for it really when you can buy precious stones etc quite cheaply. Can’t be stuffed making it now, life’s too short.

Tabbycat Wed 13-Jan-21 12:33:32

Why are there so many messages deleted by Gransnet on this thread?

Even during lockdown I wear my jewellery every day - silver stud earrings, a silver pendant (or brooch if I'm wearing a scarf) with stones to match my outfit. Since I retired I've acquired some dress rings including a beautiful one from my husband to celebrate our wedding anniversary, so I wear those when the mood takes me.

I have always worn my wedding ring, eternity ring and engagement ring every day - only take them off if I'm making pastry or working with clay! I also wear a lovely Tissot watch with a steel bracelet. which I bought over 27 years ago, during the day - I take it off at night.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:00:10

Unless your local Charity shop has an online account with an auction site , ( Oxfam for example) DONT send it to a charity shop, sell it on eBay yourself, a mixed bag weighing approx 2 kilos will get around £18.00 the buyer pays the postage. Also add in any broken items, people will use them for crafting, but state in the description ‘ Modern and Vintage jewellery and broken items’
Anything that you think is special put on separately.
Charity shops usually only want gold or silver items , few volunteers will be able to tell if something is collectable and it will all go into the rubbish bin.

allatsea Wed 13-Jan-21 11:52:32

I make silver jewellery and occasionally add pieces of gold melted down from old broken chains etc. I thought I would always wear different styles but actually wear the same necklace constantly - an early make!

EllanVannin Wed 13-Jan-21 11:49:03

Enough to choke a goat ! My stash is positively scary. Years of having stuff bought for me, then that which was left behind by female family members. Tons of costume but a lot that isn't.
Most has had a good airing in its time and it's only during summertime that various necklaces see daylight, rings I chop and change.
Asset rich, cash poor as the saying goes but can't bear to part.

henetha Wed 13-Jan-21 11:38:30

I wear jewellery constantly. Nothing valuable, but different earrings every day, and 3 rings, and bracelets, pendants etc.
And, like Gagagran I love bright colours.

Liz46 Wed 13-Jan-21 11:29:43

I have two sweetheart brooches which my father, a Battle of Britain pilot, gave to my mother. One is gold but the other is made out of metal from a German bomber which had been shot down.
I should have worn the gold one when my husband was in the RAF and I went to the mess.

Gagagran Wed 13-Jan-21 08:41:08

My style icon is Prue Leith. Love her bright colours and chunky costume jewellery.

I have a lot of similar necklaces and have them on display, like lemongrove, hung on a necklace rack next to my dressing mirror. Always wear one to tone with my outfit when going out, plus earrings, usually pearl or silver studs Day to day just my wedding ring and a watch.

nanna8 Wed 13-Jan-21 08:07:44

I wear a gold chain with a small pendant that I never take off and 2 gold bracelets, the same. Wedding ring, engagement ring and small diamond band over the top for 50 th anniversary and my late Dad’s signet ring on my right hand which I couldn’t take off if I tried. Never take any of them off. If we go out anywhere I wear earrings but don’t bother usually.They are gold ,too. I have a lot of other jewellery which I give to various grandchildren when the mood takes.

kittylester Wed 13-Jan-21 07:20:02

Reported!

hrnt Wed 13-Jan-21 06:38:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FlexibleFriend Sat 26-Dec-20 20:29:01

I'm allergic to nickel and weirdly silver too but prefer silver coloured jewellery so I wear a pair of small hooped platinum earrings everyday. That's about it these days, I did wear a matching chain around my neck but my parrot liked to bite it when nuzzling me and it broke so I no longer wear that. No rings at all as I find they get in the way.

Ngaio1 Sat 26-Dec-20 14:50:24

I collect jewellery bits for my disabled daughter to pull to pieces and make something of them. Used to be able to buy lots in charity shops for a reasonable price but the money they ask now is prohibitive.

NanKate Sat 26-Dec-20 14:47:10

My costume jewellery collection is one of my greatest pleasures. I wear different pieces every day. No longer earrings as they pinch my ears.

Today I am wearing a Xmas present from DH that we bought in September when on hols in Wells. It has about 10 gem stones blue, purple, green, red etc in small square silver casings. On my jacket I wore a 1940s Bakelite cat in various colours. I have 8 Purple Indian bracelets on elastic that my darling Grandson bought for me last year on my birthday. He said ‘Nan they were a bargain £1.00 for the lot ‘ ?

I’m also wearing a purple (favourite colour) plastic watch which I suspect my DH thinks is hideous, but I like it. I told him I had bought it in case I had to go into hospital because no one would take it. Not that I don’t trust the staff but it could easily get lost

Rosiebee Sat 26-Dec-20 13:39:20

I had a big sort out of my jewellery recently. GD will inherit most and I didn't want her to rummage round through lots of boxes. Good stuff, costume and holiday. I had some lovely pieces which I'd kept for best. No Longer! I wear my best every day now. Only exceptions, a full gold charm bracelet which is rather heavy and my Mother's rose gold locket which is fragile. I don't care if no-one sees me wearing my beautiful things. I can enjoy them and think about who gave them to me. Mostly DH and happily he's still around. Still wear lots of long "silver" / beaded necklaces like today but with a pair of heavy pearl drop earrings.