Gransnet forums

Chat

How would you keep occupied in self isolation?

(61 Posts)
MrsPickle Thu 05-Mar-20 18:35:37

Two weeks on your own, or with your partner, is a long time!
What would you do?

I paint a lot, so some of the time woud be spent on that. I'm also learning a new language via Duolingo. Obviously reading. Hub is also a reader and photographer.

With 4 dogs, going 'out' will entail an entirely different regime.

What would you do to pass the time? Jigsaws?

watermeadow Tue 10-Mar-20 19:43:06

I fear I’ll have finished The Mirror and the Light before the plague reaches me. I have plenty else to read and my I Pad so it won’t be much different from normal.
I should certainly still take my dog out, there’s nobody around before 6am and later in the day I could ring a bell and shout, “Unclean! Unclean!” as we squelch through the waterlogged fields.

BBbevan Tue 10-Mar-20 19:33:27

Just got Hilary Mantel’s new book. That should keep me going. DH is going to make a lecture for it as it is so large.

Witzend Tue 10-Mar-20 19:18:21

As long as I could get books on my Kindle (once I’d run out of proper books) I’d be fine.
Catch up on all the TV progs - masses - which we’ve recorded and never got around to watching.
Piano practice. Maybe get one or two pieces properly polished, or at least tidied up a bit.
Knitting.
Tidying the garden.
I would like to think I’d also buzz around doing useful things like clearing out drawers and cupboards, and finally getting to the end of the pile of ironing, but somehow I doubt it.

Callistemon Tue 10-Mar-20 19:00:42

sxedcise with my pristine weights grin

I could find that yoga DVD I keep meaning to do - can't get to RL yoga anyway

Blinko Tue 10-Mar-20 18:53:08

Hope you're right, BlueBelle smile

BradfordLass73 Sat 07-Mar-20 01:48:11

I used to be a medical guinea pig so a minimum of two weeks isolation was part of the contract and I loved it.

They provided me with a typewriter (no computer in the late 70's) and paper, plenty of books and the ability to make tea, coffee and toast in my suite. That's all I needed.

They were the most blissful holidays I have ever taken - and I got paid for them. grin

Marmight Sat 07-Mar-20 00:54:53

Firstly, I’d deal with the boxes & boxes of photographs which I have been promising to do for the last 20+ years. Then I’d finish emptying removal boxes from 2 years ago. I’d spring clean the house, sort out my over filled wardrobes and drawers. I’d email all the friends I’ve lost contact with over the years. I’d exercise with my pristine weights, paint/draw until I run out of paper, finish a huge patchwork quilt which I recently found in my late aunt’s house. Then I’d clean up the garden and tidy the garage. Heavens I’m going to be so busy. ... full of good intentions ?

Happysexagenarian Sat 07-Mar-20 00:18:25

Sewing, crafting, reading, baking (if I get bored) and Spring cleaning if I'm desperate. We are both in the high risk category and age group so we are drastically restricting our travelling for the foreseeable future to try to avoid the virus. It shouldn't be a big problem for us and will hopefully keep us well.

BlueBelle Fri 06-Mar-20 16:00:00

Blinko I read that the virus didn’t like to live over 26 degrees
I can’t stand my own company for more than a day so it would drive me nuts to have weeks incarcerated your home ‘prison’ sounds awful Ginny I bet you’re counting the hours aren’t you

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 15:38:09

EllanVannin you're making me feel rather guilty

My mother was always washing paintwork, I can hear her offering to do it for me smile

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:36:37

And my front door keys.

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:36:13

I would also want my mobile phone and charger, my glasses and some money!

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:34:25

Well just imagine you're going away and will be in bed. At least two nighties, a bed jacket or cardigan, slippers, underwear, towel, toiletries, a list of your medication, hairbrush, tissues. I would also pack earplugs in case its noisy and I can't sleep. Then there is entertainment, but maybe someone will bring in things like books, iPad, iPod or whatever. On the other hand one might be so poorly you can't use any of them. ?

craftyone Fri 06-Mar-20 15:22:35

That actually crossed my mind too chestnut, packing a bag makes sense. I have already done the `dying tidy` thing, made my will etc. I feel fit and healthy but this covid has extremely nasty symptoms

I need to get 5 more bags of compost and will be able to spend very many happy hours propagating seeds etc. Other than that I have many constructive hobbies and can get some exercise by cycling

I have no idea what to put into a hospital grab bag, I never needed one

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:12:28

I have already started tidying, sorting and throwing stuff out in case I don't make it through this pandemic. ? I want to make sure my children don't inherit a flippin' mess. I've also packed a hospital bag. I like to be prepared.

EllanVannin Fri 06-Mar-20 12:36:18

Continuing washing the paintwork.
I'd started it a day or two ago and my hands were shrivelled----so well-washed !
I don't venture out much at the best of times, particularly when we had all those winds and generally bad weather, so 2/3 weeks " incarceration " isn't going to harm if it means hanging on to my life. I'd rather that than the alternative smile

There's plenty to do if you look for it. Dumping old clothes, tidying drawers/cupboards in each room. Things that you wouldn't normally do if you didn't need to grin the time would fly.

endlessstrife Fri 06-Mar-20 11:56:08

I’ve been in a lot the last few weeks anyway with other stubborn bugs, only venturing out when I thought I was ‘ turning a corner’. The problem so far is all corners lead back to the beginning. A bit like snakes and ladders, I keep landing back on the snake!?.

McGilchrist41 Fri 06-Mar-20 11:43:27

Decorating the house.

Blinko Fri 06-Mar-20 11:37:49

Is there anything which says it will disappear when the warmer weather comes along? Or is that just wishful thinking? There doesn't seem to be much science atm.

harrigran Fri 06-Mar-20 11:20:35

I am well used to staying put for long periods of time, I have not been on holiday for more than four years.
If you are well enough to read and concentrate on TV programmes I don't see a problem.

Purplepixie Fri 06-Mar-20 00:52:19

I have lots of craft things to do. Read books, finish some knitting, watch TV, dance about the house, gardening, baking and freezing and maybe decorate. Have food delivered and not have to go shopping. The downside is I do like to go out and drive. Hopefully it will just disappear once the warm weather arrives.

Merelina Fri 06-Mar-20 00:31:45

My daughter took advantage of her week’s incarceration to potty train her son. I would paint, sort out my desk and watch the tely

Feelingmyage55 Fri 06-Mar-20 00:14:12

Empty the loft. Put anything I want to keep in the garage. I am smiling/smirking to myself imagining the satisfaction of an empty loft and then nailing the trapdoor shut so I don’t start filling it again. Social contact would be an issue by week two. I would probably start talking to myself.

Eloethan Fri 06-Mar-20 00:08:16

Reading, art work, learning choir songs, watching TV and DVDs, listening to music, housework, gardening, jigsaws.

I agree with ginny though. Once it sank in that I should not leave my home I think "cabin fever" would set in.

Chestnut Thu 05-Mar-20 23:50:01

Family history for me, although it would only be tidying things up and writing people's stories as I've done all the research. It's a never ending hobby that can take you to all sorts of interesting places!