Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking for an alternative to original listerin mouth wash

(19 Posts)
bikergran Mon 09-Mar-20 08:38:59

Corsodol blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. never tested anything so vile in my life...didn't realise it stained teeth but now know why my teeth not looking good!! hmm I took it because of bleeding gums any alterniatives anyone ??

Jen67 Mon 09-Mar-20 08:30:14

Biddymo there is a new brand out called WAKEN.. I’ve seen it in Boots Waitrose and Sainsbury’s. Alcohol free and very good.

henetha Sun 08-Mar-20 10:30:21

I find Tesco's own brand perfectly acceptable.

Witzend Sun 08-Mar-20 10:18:05

Yes, Corsodyl does stain your teeth.
My dentist suggested Curasept as an effective, non-staining alternative, but it’s expensive and I’ve never found it in the likes of Boots. Dh orders it online.

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 23:07:13

* NanKate*
Sorry

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 23:06:46

NanKars I was prescribed Corsodyl by the hospital consultant years ago and wondered why my teeth went brown, then realised it was that terrible mouthwash.

gulligranny Sat 07-Mar-20 22:23:44

I like Dentyl (Clove flavour) you have to shake it up to mix, then when you spit it out, it allegedly gets rid of the plaque that's come loose ... anyway,there are bits in the basin!

BradfordLass73 Sat 07-Mar-20 21:31:15

Biddymo I've sent a simple recipe and directions in a PM smile

M0nica Sat 07-Mar-20 21:29:50

I had an allergic reaction to Corsodyl. My dentist says it should not be used as a regular daily mouthwash, but once or twice a week if you are prone to gum disease.

Biddymo Sat 07-Mar-20 21:07:55

Ok I will give corsodyl a miss I have seen that in boots chemist I’m going to have a go at making something my self as Bradford Lass73 sugggested will google later to see if there are some suggestions as how to make something as I have said I don’t like a sweet minty taste

NanKate Sat 07-Mar-20 19:05:33

Beware Corsodyl makes your teeth go brown and you have to see the hygienist to remove the staining.

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 18:44:11

Corsodyl numbs my tastebuds! If I use it once a day, I stop being able to taste anything.

BlueBelle Sat 07-Mar-20 17:51:42

You won’t find cordysil too sweet ??

Biddymo Sat 07-Mar-20 17:23:23

What a fantastic idea Bradford Lass73 , don’t suppose you could give me a heads up as to how to start, sorry to sound ignorant but would not know what to put in it

BradfordLass73 Sat 07-Mar-20 01:51:21

Why not make your own? Easy, cheap and pleasant to taste.

And you'll keep all the good bacteria which commercial mouthwashes kill.

Biddymo Fri 06-Mar-20 13:08:00

Thank you MOnica and Daisymae, I will try those you have both suggested, my dentist has also told me not to use an alcohol one but I’ve used it for years and some of habits are hard to break.

Daisymae Fri 06-Mar-20 08:40:55

I use Ultradex from Boots etc. It's plain or mint. It's quite expensive so I usually stock up when it's on offer. The plain is tasteless, does not sting.

M0nica Fri 06-Mar-20 07:54:11

My dentist told me never to us an alcohol based mouthwash. I just use a mint flavoured Superdrug or Waitrose own brand.

Biddymo Thu 05-Mar-20 19:47:42

Apparently Original listerin mouth wash has been discontinued (the yellow antiseptic one)I can not bear the other ones they are to sweet for me,can any one recommend an antiseptic replacement. I have tried a few alternatives from boots but everything I’ve tried still tastes sweet. Thank you for any suggestions