Gransnet forums

Chat

How many pets do you have

(110 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 06-Mar-20 12:37:15

If funds allowed I’d have a houseful. We have three cats and a dog. Real animal lovers here

sodapop Mon 09-Mar-20 08:18:50

That is some commitment Kimrus well done for rescuing all those animals. The foal is a beautiful little boy.

BlueSapphire Sun 08-Mar-20 22:17:43

Most of the time have had pets since we were married. Once when we had to move abroad for DH's work for three years his parents were kind enough to take on our dog and cat; could never repay them enough. Only recently have I realised how much we asked of them. But would have done the same for our DCs.
Now have two pedigree cats, who are lovely and affectionate, but would not have had them if I had known that DH would die 6 months later.....

Buffybee Sun 08-Mar-20 09:07:53

Wow Kimrus! You win with the amount of animals you care for.
They must take up a lot of your time and money but so worth while rescuing these poor animals and giving them the home they deserve. Stormy is beautiful.....

Sark Sun 08-Mar-20 08:34:42

Just one cat that our daughter left with us when she moved out.
He absolutely hates the post men/ladies and will hide and pounce on them as soon as they get near the front door.

Mar59 Sun 08-Mar-20 08:04:51

2 dogs (mother and son) a cat and an african grey parrot - love and spoil them all

Juicylucy Sat 07-Mar-20 23:34:31

Just one dog my little old staffie shes 15 with arthritis and a bit of dementia so she’s earned her comfy retirement. Love her to bits x

AlisonKF Sat 07-Mar-20 23:21:56

I have never li ed without a cat since childhood. I have had two at times and my ageing Siamese is an essential friend in my old age. However, owning a pet is quite an expensive luxury now. Apart from horrendous vet. fees, I spend about £35.00 a month on high quality wet and dry food. I discovered, when first a acquainted with the internet, how much rubbish I had been feeding in the past,buying cheap makes of food which are the norm in shops and supermarkets. Cats need a high proportion of protein in their food as they are obligate carnivores and should not be eating vegetables used to bulk out cheaper foods. Never give milk, as tooth decay will follow. Get insured for the inevitable dental work.

Kimrus Sat 07-Mar-20 23:15:27

I am an animal person, to a point I rescue livestock and not rehome
Yes, I have
4 beagles
2 cats
69 guinea pigs
347 rabbits
3 turkeys
9 ducks
Roosters 8
Chickens 25
Geese 3
Sulphurs crested cockatoo 1
Corella 1
Pigs 3
Large horses 3
Miniature ponies 7
Alpacas 8
Sheep 18
Goats 10
Plus all the wildlife that comes into feed. These know my routine of feeding and will be waiting in the area where I unload produce I get daily from a supermarket
Some animals have come to me wild, but they become tame and they are all allowed to roam free much to hubby’s horror. Every animal has a name, I know which one owns which name. I love playing rugby with the pigs, I always loose. The goats play rough and yes I get injuries. I will include a photo of our latest addition born during a storm, hence named stormy a real special little man and I am the only one here that is allowed near him

twiglet77 Sat 07-Mar-20 22:01:18

Presently two cats, one dog, one docile, friendly snake, and DD's dog for half the week. When the children were young we had rabbits, lots of guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, goldfish, chickens and ducks, and several ponies, as well as several cats and dogs. I miss those days but I couldn't afford them all now.

shirleyhick Sat 07-Mar-20 21:19:52

We have got 2 dogs, 1 cat, 3 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster and a corn snake.

Willow500 Sat 07-Mar-20 19:56:17

What lovely photos! We're down to 2 cats now - both of which were strays. The oldest is about 12 and still like a kitten - he doesn't go out much now and is very much my husband's boy.

The other is a high maintenance diva who has just had a large op for mammory tumours (thankfully benign) as well as treatment 2 years ago for hyperthyroidism then a broken jaw and all her teeth removed. I think we're circa £6k worth of vet bills so far (that's not including the routine costs). She has also been diagnosed with a dodgy pancreas so is on a special diet. She is feisty, cranky and has claws like talons but I love her to bits and she worships me - as long as I follow her rules grin

sodapop Sat 07-Mar-20 19:45:17

Know how you feel FranT our JR is 15 now and still rules the house.

Musicgirl Sat 07-Mar-20 19:21:21

We have one dog, a much loved Cairn Terrier. When deciding to get a dog we had three criteria: first and foremost we needed a dog who did not moult as l have allergies. He has hair cuts every few months. We wanted a fairly small dog as our living space is not particularly large and finally we wanted a breed that had a reputation for being friendly as l teach music from home. He wins on every count and has helped several children overcome a fear of dogs.

JuliaM Sat 07-Mar-20 18:42:34

We have had just about every type of domestic pet imaginable during the years our daughters were growing up, including a family of 14 hamsters at one point, and a full living wall of tropical fish built into the house between the lounge and the dining room, which a buyer fell in love with when we sold the house, and gave us a very good offer for it!
We are now to old to take on another puppy, the chances are possible that the dog would out live us, but my daughter rescued a Golden Labrador bitch from a friend who was.going through a marriage break up and moving into a rented house where no pets were allowed, so we share her both for care and picking up the tab for food and vets bills in return for regular cuddles and fuss! Shes just so well behaved, and it works out well for all of us.

FranT Sat 07-Mar-20 18:06:16

Always had gun dogs,1 each of Labradors, Springer Spaniels etc, plus 4 cats, but now being an old widowed coffin dodger, I'm down to my Jack Russell, 'Little Louie the Ratcatcher' who is an absolute prat, but has been my saviour & love her to bits, she's so intelligent, we play mind games & she wins!

Washerwoman Sat 07-Mar-20 18:04:32

2 dogs and one cat.Our adult DCs have dogs and cats too.As a family we love our animals and in nearly 40 years of marriage have never been without at least one dog and cat.

Evie64 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:35:51

I've had cats since I was 8 years old. Currently have a rescue cat called Peter who is blind in one eye and utterly adorable. OH has a fish tank with 15 tropicals in it, bit boring really grin. We would both quite like a dog but the thought of having to leave the house twice a day in all weathers has rather put us off, as well as picking up the poo. However, I have come across a website called "Borrow my Doggy" where you can arrange to take someone's dog for a walk when it suits you. Might be worth investigating?

Lizbethann55 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:07:05

Two cats. But they both found us ( several years apart) and just decided to move in! In each case we had done everything we could to find out where they had come from before getting them chipped, snipped and vaccinated.

CBBL Sat 07-Mar-20 17:01:54

We currently have two rescue cats (from Romania). If we could afford it, and had the space, I'd have lots more! At one time I had five cats, all "acquired" - some just made their home with me, some were taken in from sick neighbours. I had a German Shepherd dog, too! Sadly, neither hubby nor I can walk far enough to make dog owning a possibility, these days!

Hetty58 Sat 07-Mar-20 16:41:52

Just one of each (dog and cat) at present. I feed hundreds of garden birds, too, buying seed by the sackful. Dolly is beautiful, Buffybee!

AGAA4 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:55:28

Sadly none sad

michelleblane Sat 07-Mar-20 15:44:45

1 working Springer spaniel Ruby, two cats, 15 chickens, 2 turkeys, 2 geese and 27 guinea fowl. All get on pretty well. Had horses, sheep and a goat in the past. We still have sheep now but they actually belong to a neighbour and are our 'lawn mowers'

crazyH Sat 07-Mar-20 15:07:35

None at present, but had dogs in the past.

Buffybee Sat 07-Mar-20 15:03:48

My lovely old girl, cross Labrador is 16 but still doing fine, I have a half feral rescued cat, who comes and goes, she’s not very friendly with me but adores the dog.
Last week I got a Cavapoo puppy, she’s adorable and a clever little thing. Old dog is fine with her and teaching her to go out.
I’ve named her Dolly Dimple grin Dolly for short.

pamdixon Sat 07-Mar-20 14:51:56

I'd simply love a dog but not sure my life-style is suited to one, but I do have 2 grand-dogs and have to make do with them! I look after one of them a lot and love her to bits.