Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kitchen for kind and caring folk

(1001 Posts)
soop Fri 06-Mar-20 14:27:54

Here we are again...happy as can be...all good friens and jolly good company. wine cupcake flowers sunshine and (hugs) a plenty.

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Mar-20 22:53:51

Yes, that's still a word but sorry you're feeling maudlin GrannGravy.

Doodle Fri 06-Mar-20 22:57:55

Certainly is still a word Granygravy. Sorry you’re upset. Not a nice feeling. Hope your spirits lift soon
Sleep well all moon

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 09:18:00

'Morning everyone. Thanks for the welcome last night. smile

kittylester Sat 07-Mar-20 09:36:19

gg, sorry you are feeling sad - anything specific or just general?

For us, Corona virus is have quite an impact without any of us being ill!! DH and DS1 decided to watch the football on tv rather than actually going. DS is in an at risk group and DH is 'over 70'. A good idea as it turns out as they were trounced by a team much further down the league!

We were supposed to be having a trial run with Wolfie staying overnight on his own. His parents are going to Las Vegas to get married in about a month and he is staying 3 days (and nights!!!)

Wolfie has chicken pox so that is not happening and who is to say that dd and her partner will be able to go anyway?

My brother is in Australia for 3 weeks and has just decided to come home early in case flights are cancelled later.

I'm known for being a control freak organised and I cant stand not knowing what's going on!

Welcome to all newcomers - especially the ones with cake. grin

vena11 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:41:11

I don't post very often but I do read and its lovely . I have put a large tin of home made Millionaires shortbread in the kitchen.

annsixty Sat 07-Mar-20 09:42:51

Good morning all.
Not posting much ATM, I feel so unsettled and in pain, but wanted to say IATOYA, especially the poorly ones and those like myself feeling down.
Life seems a struggle at times.
We have had two beautiful sunny days but still very cold.

Greyduster Sat 07-Mar-20 10:44:40

Good morning the kitchen! It’s certainly throwing a spanner in the works, Kitty, and I wish that my DH and DS were as sensible as your menfolk. They are going to the ground today. DH is at risk because he has COPD, and germs seem to stick to my firstborn whenever he pokes his nose out the door, and neither of them can be dissuaded because they are both stupid! I hope the steak and kidney pudding I’m making for lunch doesn’t turn into a last supper! Hope Wolfie is better soon - chickenpox is miserable.

Ann I am sorry to hear you are in pain. Hopefully it will be a distant memory when you’ve had your op. We went out walking yesterday and I had to take pain killers for my hip last night. It was fine while we were out!

Welcome to all our new kitcheners - please don’t offer me cake; I’m trying to be good! I never turn my nose up at Liquorice allsorts though!
Picture of spring sunshine on the Transpennine Trail......
TOYA.

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Mar-20 10:44:48

Well I've been busy in my own kitchen this morning so there are some freshly baked scones, strawberry jam (not home made) and clotted cream for you all.

So dig in everyone.

Hope your feeling a little less maudlin today Granygravy and you had a decent nights' sleep.

Sorry you're feeling down annsixtyflowers. Being in pain doesn't help does it but maybe a scone with jam and cream and some of venall's shortbread will cheer you up.

Carillion01 Sat 07-Mar-20 11:25:14

Good morning everyone.
annsixty xxx hoping your pain is less today and Granygravy I hope you are starting to feel more back to normal today. I think a bit of sunshine will do everyone some good.

soop, will send you a pic of the cross stitch which was this project during DH's recent stay in hospital. I promised I'd send a pic as you know I 'do' a project whenever he has a hip or knee replacement...it keeps me occupied during visiting hours.. He well and truly is my bionic man.

Might try banana and choc muffins this afternoon. Not made them before.

A warm welcome to all new posters xx

morethan... Xxxxx

dragonfly46 Sat 07-Mar-20 11:35:15

Thank you for your good wishes Carillion. I have one more chemo to go on the 20th but this latest one has knocked me out. Popped into Sainsbury yesterday ( not to buy toilet rolls) and had to sit down. Instead of offering help the assistants looked at me as if I had the plague! Staying at home today!

Welcome to all the newbies this is indeed a safe haven,
Thank you for the scones smileless but everything tastes like cardboard at the moment.

Synonymous Sat 07-Mar-20 12:05:54

soop I actually thought that poor wee man was a midget and felt sorry for him being so out of proportion that he would not be able to function. hmm

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 12:07:53

What a lovely photo Greyduster ... good enough to paint.

I'm sorry but I am not up-to-date with posters' problems and worries, but send love and healing thoughts to those who have health and family difficulties.

dragonfly I know that "everything tastes like cardboard" thing. I had the same when I was taking Tamoxifen and then Arimidex. I felt nauseous every day. I hope you can get plenty of rest. You say you have one more chemo to go and I hope all goes well.

Well, I mentioned yesterday evening about the cake recipe I had "invented" .... the bad news is that I've eaten it all when I should have made it last shock Sigh.

soop Sat 07-Mar-20 12:21:35

A very warm welcome to Purplepixie We have a tartan rug for your knees. A home-baked cupcake and plenty of chatter. flowers

soop Sat 07-Mar-20 12:24:30

And a very warm welcome to Sparklefizz . I have only just this minute logged on. Will catch up very shortly.

soop Sat 07-Mar-20 12:30:21

Lovely to have you back with us, venall. Talk about busy! you lot are amazing. I have to set aside the next wee while to read all your messages. Bear with me. I may be some time. wink

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 12:38:37

Thank you soop. I love this place already!

soop Sat 07-Mar-20 12:39:26

Greyduster Your photograph is delightful. I can imagine walking along that pathway. I can almost feel the early sunshine on my face.
Steak and kidney pudding is a dish that my late Nana made and which I always remember the taste of. It was magnificient. Any of yours going spare?

Sparklefizz Baked and ate. Now, what shall we do with her? I suppose that, as we're kind and all that, we had better overlook the matter this time. hmm

soop Sat 07-Mar-20 12:59:36

annsixty and GrannyGravy You know that us lot are here for you whether you feel like sharing, or not. flowers

kitty Wolfie is at the right age to succomb to all manner of childhood illnesses. Boosting his immune system is essential.

dragonfly Had you felt unwell in the Tesco Campbeltown store, you would have received the care (and respect) that you deserve. Stay safe and warm.

Carillion It's good to hear that your bionic man continues to improve with every passing day. He is a marvel.
I would love to see a photo of your latest cross project. Don't forget to post it.

Purplepixie Sat 07-Mar-20 13:03:32

Thank you soop. I'm making good old fashioned broth with dumplings for tea so I'll bring some along. Thank you for the tartan rug and the lovely cupcake. X

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Mar-20 13:05:05

Good afternoon kitcheners, thank you for your kind thoughts, I am feeling more upbeat today. The reason for my being a bit maudlin last evening was because I had watched our local news only to hear that a parent at one of the nearby Senior schools has tested positive for Covid-19, they have been told to self-isolate, but unbelievably so far the school is remaining open!!!

I am beginning to feel cautious about going to the gym, it is a small family run one, but busy. As of last week there was no wiping down of equipment/weights between uses.

Probably just getting a bit paranoid, memo to self stop watching/reading the news

PS I have toilet rolls, wine, bread and cheese......sorted ?????

soop Sat 07-Mar-20 13:18:36

Pantglas2 Your banana loaf slathered with Welsh butter, is beyond delicious. I shall have two thick slices and live with consequences. I am, believe me, trying to resist the temptation.

Susan56 MacSporran says to thank you kindly. Your photo made him chuckle.

anno I believe that MacS has lost count of the multi-packs of Andrex hiding away in the loft. He made me smile when he remarked...'I think I'm a bit odd...' I nodded discreetly in response.

Galen A bit like fishermen when comparing the size of their catch. grin

Marydoll and Doodle I trust that you are behaving in a lady-like manner. You know what I mean. hmm

Charleyg Unlike Nannytopsy and others too numerous to mention, we can't all be first class cake bakers. I am like you. If I could bake, I would eat the cake. Best not and say that I did. Does that make sense?

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Mar-20 13:19:13

We'll all get together and do an extra special bake for you when you've had your last chemo and everything tastes as it should dragonfly.

I think we should overlook Sparkelfizz's enthusiasm which led her to eat her what she'd baked before bringing it to the kitchen soop. Perhaps as a penance you could bake twice as much next time Sparklefizz.

I'm looking forward to that Purplepixie; love dumplings.

soop Sat 07-Mar-20 13:23:03

Purplepixie Well now, your kind offer of old fashioned broth and dumplings has me all of a dither. Should I have a wee taster? Or, should I tuck in and believe the rumour that all food served in our kitchen is strictly calorie-free. grin

Purplepixie Sat 07-Mar-20 13:30:46

Soop, all my food is calorie free even the walnut shortbread which I'm making next. You are all more than welcome.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 13:34:43

Perhaps as a penance you could bake twice as much next time Sparklefizz.

Just getting out the food mixer now, Smileless ....

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion