Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you buy lottery tickets

(14 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:25:03

We always buy a couple of lottery tickets every Saturday after doing our supermarket shop, and while we have only won very small amounts over the years, we always say you gotta be in it to win it

tanith Fri 06-Mar-20 18:16:37

I occasionally buy one if it’s a big rollover.

SalsaQueen Fri 06-Mar-20 18:16:59

I've never bought one. My husband does the lottery and the Irish lottery. He once won £12k on that.

janipat Fri 06-Mar-20 18:25:15

Yes have bought tickets since it started. Unfortunately I chose birthday numbers so felt so "tied in". When the Wednesday lottery started I felt compelled to do my numbers in that too. Then they increased to other days and I made myself stop. I now have a lucky dip most weeks, but don't mind if I miss a week. As I never check the winning numbers (I do it online and they notify of a win) I wouldn't know if my birthday numbers have ever come good.

Harris27 Fri 06-Mar-20 18:32:46

Yes I do it’s the only way I’ll retire early if I win it!

Lovetopaint037 Fri 06-Mar-20 18:33:34

From time to time. I stopped using same nos the week it started and my dh was determined to stop on the motorway just to get a ticket in case they came up. I pick them at random. Wherever my pen lands. I only get one each time as I believe you have to be really lucky to win but at least I’m in with a mini chance.

FlexibleFriend Fri 06-Mar-20 18:35:42

I do the euro millions when I remember.

Calendargirl Fri 06-Mar-20 19:14:09

Never bought one, so ‘ it won’t be me!’

Auntieflo Fri 06-Mar-20 19:18:39

I think we did buy a couple, years ago, but not now. I think I am too mean.
Anyway it all seems very complicated now, as there are so many variations. Anybody else feel like that?

Treebee Fri 06-Mar-20 19:24:37

No, never. Think of the money I’ve saved!

phoenix Fri 06-Mar-20 19:25:35

Used to occasionally, have had a bit of a run lately, the odd £50, £30 etc, so we are actually "up" overall!

Of course, this has meant that I now play every week!

The tickets I bought today were covered by the winnings from last week. Went and and bought a couple of scratch cards, zilch on one, £20 on the other!grin

rubysong Fri 06-Mar-20 22:09:30

I shall tomorrow as it is a big rollover. I shall remember you all when I win! (I won't give you anything but I will remember you.)

Cunco Fri 06-Mar-20 22:31:21

No. I have some premium bonds which could win a large amount, never have but at least I get my money back. I think the massive prizes on some lotteries are ridiculously high. It would be much better to split them into, say, £4m-5m prizes, still a life-changing sum but spread among more people.

annep1 Fri 06-Mar-20 23:24:52

I agree Cunco but I think £1m is enough.
I have an online lottery account. I vary which ones I do. In all the years I've done it I've only won £10.
Husband thinks it's nonsense so of course when I win the jackpot I won't share it. grin
I've never bought a scratchcard. Maybe I should. ...