Gransnet forums

Chat

Electricity costs in France and Spain

(12 Posts)
sodapop Sat 07-Mar-20 21:32:42

Why do you ask infoman ?

Ellianne Sat 07-Mar-20 21:18:00

In France we used the Tempo scheme where there are 22 days a year of a very high tariff then the rest is really cheap. But yes in general electricity is quite a bit dearer than the UK.

Fennel Sat 07-Mar-20 20:57:07

Cheaper in the UK.
And don't mention gas - the prices in France are much higher.
Water too.

M0nica Sat 07-Mar-20 12:12:28

Electricity in France is more expensive and the more you want to use the higher your standing charge.

Here is a guide to comparative electricity prices in the EUhttps://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/pdfscache/45239.pdf

Dinahmo Sat 07-Mar-20 12:03:25

I've just received my annual summary here in France. the total cost was 1634 euros which includes TVA of 249 euros and other taxes of 322 euros. the area of the house is 190 square metres, all on one level. We have a woodburner which heats our living area and the wood for that costs 200 euros per load which lasts a year. the main reason for the large cost is that I do most of my work during the winter months and have to heat our bedroom where I have my office space.

Yes, it is expensive here.

Dazzle Sat 07-Mar-20 10:18:39

My apologies! I just checked and it's €77 per month that we pay!!

Dazzle Sat 07-Mar-20 10:16:41

I live in France, and our electricity is very expensive. We pay about £46 per month. We do only have electric cooking, but use very little during summer months as we are rarely at home. Our heating is from a wood burner, but does have a small electric fan to pump heat around the house. We don't have air con, but do use fans in the summer and we do have cheap rates during the night.

giulia Sat 07-Mar-20 09:12:25

GagaJo The same is true in Italy.

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 07:41:20

More expensive in Spain. They also have a system where you only get so much voltage so if you go over it (too many appliances on at once) it trips the fuse. In my case, we had to apply for more voltage which meant a massive leap in the bill. Not to mention a new meter and a huge bill for the work.

Pantglas2 Sat 07-Mar-20 07:32:37

I’ve found that electricity is dearer in Spain but we swapped to gas for cooking, hot water and heater and our bills are rarely more than 25 euros a month in March-October and around 50 a month for Nov-Feb.

Watch more tv in winter and electric blanket & bedroom heater for an hour before bed is the reason for the increase. Gas bottles for fire and boiler around 13 euros and last for months.

Framilode Sat 07-Mar-20 06:34:02

I don't know about France but electricity in Spain is certainly dearer than the UK. Our bills here are approximately half of the one's in Spain. Admittedly, our house in Spain was larger but I don't think that would have made much difference. It is expensive.

infoman Sat 07-Mar-20 06:14:45

Can anyone let me know if Electricity is dearer or cheaper in France and Spain?
Thanks in advance