Gransnet forums

Chat

Lurkers' week: what's the first single you ever bought?

(199 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Mar-20 09:12:10

What’s the first single you ever bought?

Confession - I can’t actually remember mine - though I do remember the first single I ever owned...Puppy Love by Donny Osmond (and I was most peeved because my brother got Long Haired Lover from Liverpool by Jimmy Osmond and I’d have much rather had that grin)

JessK Tue 10-Mar-20 09:43:23

Mine was Hit the Road Jack by Ray Charles - I loved that song.

olliebeak Tue 10-Mar-20 09:42:48

Christmas 1962, I was bought a record player as a 'reward' for passing my 11+ and starting at Grammar School. As I knew what I was getting I was allowed to go and buy 'something to play on it'. The local record shop charged 6/8 for singles, but the local market sold singles (possibly ex-juke box ones) for 5/- each ................ so it was off to the market for me!

Travellin' Light by Cliff Richard
Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean
Thin Chow Min by Des O'Connor (a parody on Big Bad John)
Gossip Calypso by Bernard Cribbens

I drove the family mad with those from Christmas to New Year - but fortunately, for them AND me, I got some Record Tokens as other presents. In those days 'Boots The Chemist' sold records - so I was in there after New Year.

What a pity that the Market Stall didn't accept Record Tokens - I could have had far more vfm wink.

Lunchtimelady1 Tue 10-Mar-20 09:40:38

First post ever so fitting that it's about another first:
The first single purchased by me was Build me up Buttercup by The Foundations when I was 13 yrs old.
Haven't the faintest idea why it appealed to me as I can't stand it now. A former work colleague had it as her mobile's ring tone and it used to set my teeth on edge.

Baggs Tue 10-Mar-20 09:22:48

I mean the trip to the concert in Manchester was organised by my school, not the concert ?

Baggs Tue 10-Mar-20 09:21:56

I've never bought a single. I was eighteen (possibly just nineteen) when I bought my first LP of Kings College Cambridge Choir. Earlier the same year my dad had acquired a record player and told us he'd buy a record (LP) for each of we five kids. My choice was Sibelius Symphony no.5 and the Karelia Suite. I'd heard it at a concert in Manchester that was organised by my school, which was elsewhere in north Lancashire.

Pittcity Tue 10-Mar-20 08:34:53

Notagranyet1234 the theme from MASH is "our song" as we used to watch it together every week when we first started going out together.

craftycarol Tue 10-Mar-20 06:53:42

Grandmac

Loved Pat Boone!

craftycarol Tue 10-Mar-20 06:51:13

I think mine was Love letters in the Sand by Pat Boone. I absolutely loved him! I even belonged to his fan club!!! Then Adam Faith and then Cliff Richard were my favourites. Oh and then the Everley Bothers, and the Beatles....... and Billy J Kramer!!! The list goes on...

yattypung Tue 10-Mar-20 02:03:06

My very first bought record was Stupid Cupid by Connie Francis. I still love that song.

Lyndiloo Tue 10-Mar-20 01:24:19

'Oh Carol' by Neil Sedaka.

My older brother had a girlfriend called Carol at the time, and I used to sing it to him constantly ('Oh Carol, I am but a fool, Darling I love you, though you treat me cruel ...') Drove him mad! (But that's what little sisters are for!)

Notagranyet1234 Tue 10-Mar-20 00:58:47

Suicide is painless the theme from MASH I was a strange child grin

Dollymac Mon 09-Mar-20 23:26:46

Mine was 'Sugar Sugar ' by The Archies
My cousin and I went to Scottish country dancing lessons for years. One rebellious Saturday afternoon, we clubbed our dancing money together, didn't go dancing, bought thr record and sat on the town hall steps smoking fags bought as 'singles'
In fairness to my cousin, it was wholly my idea and I was riddled with guilt afterwards

Ailsa43 Mon 09-Mar-20 23:20:39

First single I ever bought was Band of Gold - Freda Payne 1970 . I still have it to this day

jeanio Mon 09-Mar-20 23:14:58

Love Me Do by The Beatles.

Bridie22 Mon 09-Mar-20 23:07:10

All or nothing by the small faces.

Evangeline Mon 09-Mar-20 23:01:47

My first,and one of only two records I ever bought( the second was Waterloo by ABBA) was Two Little Boys by the now disgraced Rolf Harris. Many years later I was blessed with my own two little boys! ( Then two little girls as well!)

Anj123 Mon 09-Mar-20 22:56:40

It was “With a little luck” by Wings and I remember having to take it back and exchanging it for another as it kept sticking!!

Rock17 Mon 09-Mar-20 22:41:12

Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves - Cher. Played it constantly.

Dinahmo Mon 09-Mar-20 22:05:43

I had the teddy Bears' Picnic but it was a 78.

Xander Mon 09-Mar-20 21:54:20

She Loves You!!!need I say the Beatles

DiaryWriter Mon 09-Mar-20 21:02:43

Goldilocks and the Three Bears, that was my first single.
Not exactly something you could get up and dance to, unless you like to dance to a story?

grandmac Mon 09-Mar-20 21:01:55

Anastasia by Pat Boone.

Still like it now!

Ziggy1914 Mon 09-Mar-20 20:49:08

My first single bought with my pocket money was Daydreamer by David Cassidy when I was a teenager. so sad when he died I loved him to bits

WinterGran Mon 09-Mar-20 20:43:30

Hi, I'm a lurker ... have posted once before but always seem to leave it too late! Here goes -

First record I bought was an EP of Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday. My Gran thought he was a bad influence and shouldn't be allowed on the tv! I thought he was wonderful (I was very young).

WoodLane7 Mon 09-Mar-20 20:22:04

I think it was Mama Mia by Abba
I used to love to go to the record stall at the market on a saturday to choose my next record