Gransnet forums

Chat

Coronavirus and swimming

(48 Posts)
Nanabanana1 Mon 09-Mar-20 09:43:07

Should we continue to go swimming in public swimming baths can Coronavirus be spread through warm water and on the damp floors etc?

yogagran Wed 11-Mar-20 16:14:25

I've stopped swimming for now. I stopped a couple of weeks ago when I had a heavy cold and now I feel that it's one risk that I need not take

Tillybelle Wed 11-Mar-20 10:59:26

SpringyChicken Yes, good point, thanks.

Tillybelle Wed 11-Mar-20 10:56:58

anniezzz09 I always get an ear infection when I go swimming! It is really annoying because it often happened on holiday and i had to fly home.

kelleensc Tue 10-Mar-20 18:12:04

The US Centers for Disease Control has an information page at coronavirus.gov that may have some additional information. However, I didn't see anything about swimming pools.

SpringyChicken Tue 10-Mar-20 17:39:28

Verrucas are a virus and the chlorinated pool water doesn't kill it. Therefore, I think it's quite possible that coronavirus could survive the pool water too.

Sparklefizz Tue 10-Mar-20 17:28:18

I think if you wash your hands regularly and remember not to touch your face/ rub your eyes you should be fine in most public places.

Yes, that has worked well for Italy.

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 10-Mar-20 17:08:56

Never crossed my mind not to swim until I saw this thread. Thank you NotSpaghetti for that very useful article. Having read it I will continue to swim until told otherwise.

sandelf Tue 10-Mar-20 16:21:53

I'm a keen swimmer - but NO. Steamy atmosphere, water splashing about, everyones fingers touch the shower buttons, you don't know anything about the travel habits or hygiene of the people who used the clothes cabins or loos before you. I can't think of a better environment for bugs of all sorts to transfer.

57VRS Tue 10-Mar-20 15:51:58

I went swimming this morning and it didn’t worry me. It was the first time I’d been for about 4 weeks as I’ve had a dreadful cold and cough. But really missed it and was raring to go!!
I think if you wash your hands regularly and remember not to touch your face/ rub your eyes you should be fine in most public places.

faye17 Tue 10-Mar-20 15:09:38

Granolot
I've had the same thought for weeks now. I mind my 18month old DGS three days a week & I'm 65 - I'm particularly worried for him . From what I've read you can be contagious before you have any symptoms. Would much prefer not to have him while this virus is about but don't want to stress his working parents out by withdrawing my care of him.
I agree there is no mention of this specifically vulnerable group being daily carers of young children some of whom have health issues too
Its a very unsettling thing

faye17 Tue 10-Mar-20 15:00:28

I've stopped taking my grandbaby to his weekly splashabout - no specific reason except that it's another communal gathering where we possibly could contract the virus

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 10-Mar-20 14:57:43

Well cathyd personally as soon as I am out of the water I am in the shower, lots of good hot water all with soap and shampoo and for a good bit longer than 20 seconds, more like ten minutes. I swam yesterday and, less told specifically not to, I will swim next week

Franbern Tue 10-Mar-20 14:55:58

Ican remember the swimming pools being closed back in the 1950's when polio was rampaging about, Honestly, what chance do you think you have of being so close to someone with this new virus, considering how few there are in the UK? If you really think that then I hope you are optimistic about having a really big win on the Lottery (probably far better chance of that).

Retired65 Tue 10-Mar-20 14:50:36

Coronovirus is caught by being in close contact with someone who has it.

kwest Tue 10-Mar-20 14:38:11

I went to aquarobics this morning. It was with the most popular instructor and his classes often have a waiting list. There were only ten of us today. Also only ten people in the gym.
The day before my birthday towards the end of January I went to aquarobics feeling fit and well. As I drove home afterwards my throat felt a bit sore and by evening I had a pounding headache, runny nose (clear , not like a cold) and was coughing and sneezing. I was ill for about five days. There was a lot of it about but everyone, including me just put it down to a bug and stayed home until we felt well again. I'm not sure if I caught it at the pool but the symptoms came immediately afterwards.

cathyd Tue 10-Mar-20 14:13:25

someone asked that question a few days ago on tv and they said holding on to the bars to get out of the pool would be more risky than swimming as the germs would stay on the surface of the metal. They advised people to wash hands as soon as possible after exiting the pool

Sparklefizz Tue 10-Mar-20 13:48:07

Not true! ^ I am sure I read the other day that it does not last long on surfaces.^

It lingers on surfaces for hours, and although there is chlorine in the water in the pool, it is not on the surfaces in the changing rooms, etc.

Witzend Tue 10-Mar-20 13:47:07

Maybe chlorine in the water would be a protection, but TBH I’d be thinking more of the warm, damp air people are maybe breathing their germs into.

Mumben Tue 10-Mar-20 13:40:27

Wouldn’t the Chlorine protect from the virus ?

Scentia Tue 10-Mar-20 12:49:17

I did go swimming but I am not using the Gym, I just feel it is cleaner somehow. I think a virus will thrive in cold not warm and damp that is bacteria. I am on high alert at the moment as I seem to have developed a sore throat and cold this morning and my DH is off on a trip of a lifetime to the US next week. I am scared if he gets a cold they won't let him in.

Theoddbird Tue 10-Mar-20 12:47:50

It is spread by droplets coughed or sneezed. I am sure I read the other day that it does not last long on surfaces.

Granolot Tue 10-Mar-20 12:43:09

Anyone else worried if we look after grandchildren and their school is closed due to coronavirus if we would be at risk as wrong age group 60
70 And older. Please someone answer as I have noticed the government haven’t even thought about this. Most grandparents look after grandchildren if parents working Thanks

Stella14 Tue 10-Mar-20 12:38:15

It wouldn’t have occurred to me that swimming might be a risk until the question was asked of a Scientist yesterday. He said “we don’t know yet” (shock)!

Hetty58 Tue 10-Mar-20 12:06:13

The level of surface cleaning at our local pool is quite appalling. Dirt is all too visible on doors, handrails, taps etc. so no, not an option at the moment!

Teacheranne Tue 10-Mar-20 11:58:12

I have a feeling that by next week the whole country will be on lockdown like Italy - I'm worried about that and hope that I'm wrong. I'm not sure how we will be able to care for mum (87 years old with Alzheimer's but still living alone with daily visits from family) with similar travel restrictions.

Could be very interesting!