Gransnet forums

Chat

Coronavirus - echoes of Eyam

(15 Posts)
Outofstepwithhumanity Mon 09-Mar-20 12:31:07

Does anyone know the story of the Derbyshire village of Eyam? The events happened in 1665 & seemed a quaint episode in history. Never thought to see a similar situation in the twenty-first century, but recent lockdowns etc. have a horrible familiarity.

vampirequeen Mon 09-Mar-20 13:37:21

Eyam was trying to protect it's neighbours from death. The current panic is being fanned by the media. They're happy to detail deaths but aren't interviewing anyone who has been quarantined but then found to be virus free or who have had the virus and now recovered. I'd like to hear the experiences of a few people who have had it and now recovered. How ill did they feel? How long did it last? Are they fully recovered or does it leave you feeling post viral?

nonnasusie Mon 09-Mar-20 13:41:47

Yes I know the story. I have a song about it on an LP by a group called The Ripley Wayfarers.

Daisymae Mon 09-Mar-20 15:45:17

Yes, do know the story. They were a very brave community in containing the plague. However we dont see the same level of commitment here, with the motto being let's ignore it and it will go away.

FarNorth Mon 09-Mar-20 16:02:46

The book, A Parcel of Patterns, gives a very engaging story of the village of Eyam and the people affected by the decision to isolate themselves.
Quite chilling to think of.

I don't think modern people would show the same commitment, and maybe it wouldn't even be possible in these days.

endlessstrife Mon 09-Mar-20 16:07:58

vampirequeen, last week, the “Tonight* programme talked to a “ survivor”. It may have been two if I’m remembering clearly.

humptydumpty Mon 09-Mar-20 16:49:40

Another great book: the year of wonders

grannyactivist Mon 09-Mar-20 17:05:28

There's a first-hand account from a survivor here vampirequeen: news.sky.com/story/fighting-coronavirus-one-of-the-first-british-sufferers-describes-his-ordeal-11950631

grannyactivist Mon 09-Mar-20 17:06:17

My daughter did a school project on Eyam and was very moved, as a young teenager, by visiting the place.

kittylester Mon 09-Mar-20 17:45:38

Dgd1 has just had a trip to Eyam as part of her school project. During the same week DH's brother was having food parcels left outside his front door by neighbours as he had just travelled through Singapore on his way home from New Zealand.

Callistemon Mon 09-Mar-20 17:48:58

Yes I know the story, there is a play which DD was in with her theatre group.
I agree with vampirequeen's post.

MawB Mon 09-Mar-20 17:49:38

I had promised myself not to post on GN as my Lenten penance (or your Lenten treat) but I can no longer sit on my hands in the face of the mounting hysteria and panic re Coronavirus.
No, OP this is nothing like Eyam (which I think we all know about)
This is not the Black Death, this is not the Middle Ages with no proper medical care, information or communications.
So no, not in the same league at all and for those who have genuine health issues, it is not helpful to employ comparisons with plague or plague villages.
This virus should not be underestimated but we need to retain a sense of proportion.
Are you /we aware of the impact of flu in England each year? Not what many people call flu or man flu, in other words a severe cold, but actual full fat flu
In the face of the rising hysteria, panic buying and prognostications that ‘we are all doomed” we should be observing basic hand washing, keeping away from those with symptoms, avoiding spreading our own symptoms etc anyway.
Just to remind anybody who does not know the stats for flu in England alone.

Flu and complications associated with it cause 8,000 deaths on average a year in England. Around 6,000 of these are people with heart and lung disease

Outofstepwithhumanity Mon 09-Mar-20 18:36:42

Oh! I’m so sorry MawB that I have made you break your Lent penance. It was at least broken for a valid reason. I never meant to compare plague with Coronavirus, I was thinking more of the scenario where the villagers cut themselves & the village off to avoid the spread. I agree that media hysteria is fuelling fear. Apologies to anyone who thought I was stirring or being equally hysterical

ElaineI Mon 09-Mar-20 18:55:53

I have never heard of Eyam. So this is interesting and will look it up.
It is hard to remain positive about this now having just heard that everyone with a minor cold and fever should self isolate for 7 days! It's fine saying that SSP will be paid from day 1 but what about people's sick leave? That could be a problem for lots of people.
Also it is still winter and most people have minor colds circulating within their families/communities so could be horrendous if all these people stay off. Also there is now no calpol, paracetamol etc over the counter so are we all to get prescriptions?
And does this self isolate thing apply to children because then parents would have to make child care arrangements and one or t'other of my DGC has a cough/runny nose every week - probably child care with GPs who are mostly in the higher risk category due to being over 60!
Sorry I am not clever enough for emojis on this site but it is reminding me of a TV series called "Virus". All seems a bit OTT but awful for anyone whose relative has died because of this.

Callistemon Mon 09-Mar-20 22:10:40

Pronounced Eem, Elaine