Gransnet forums

Chat

18th and 21st birthdays.

(8 Posts)
Scentia Wed 11-Mar-20 06:31:51

An extra special fuss doesn’t have yo cost you a penny.

absent Wed 11-Mar-20 06:31:02

My eldest grandson was 18 in January. I gave him a rather more generous wad of cash than his previous birthdays. I do not intend to give him any more birthday presents and have doubled down on that viewpoint since I have never received any kind of thank you.

However, thank you or not, I shall not be giving presents once any of the others are over 18.

BradfordLass73 Wed 11-Mar-20 06:00:09

It doesn't matter what everyone else did, what matters is what your grandchildren want and what you are prepared to do for them.
Talk to them and find out.

ninathenana Tue 10-Mar-20 11:19:42

It changed the year I turned 18 and although I recieved a couple of 'keys' no big fuss was made except mum and dad took me for a meal. My 21st was the day we went and bought my ring for our wedding 10 wks later.
My AC celebrated just their 18ths. I wouldn't make a 21st anything other than a normal birthday these days.

paddyanne Tue 10-Mar-20 11:10:54

You dont HAVE to give anything you dont want to.If you 're making a special cake then a card with £21 in it as a nod to the age but dont feel pressured to spend what you cant afford or dont want to

M0nica Tue 10-Mar-20 10:32:20

21 used to be when you became an indpendent fully fledged adult. That was reduced to 18. 21st birthdays are merely just another birthday.

Mapleleaf Mon 09-Mar-20 21:26:29

One or the other for extra special gifts, I would have thought, but not both.

shysal Mon 09-Mar-20 14:26:13

Some of my GCs have celebrated their 18th birthdays, for which I gave special presents etc. They are now coming up to their 21sts. Shall I be expected to be extra generous yet again? I thought coming of age would only be acknowledged once when the age changed to 18, but it seems that they expect a fuss on both. I make a cake for every birthday, so they will get a special one anyway, but I am not sure what will be expected in the way of gifts.
What have you/your GCs done ?