Gransnet forums

Chat

CAN YOU WORK IT OUT?

(18 Posts)
Artdecogran Wed 11-Mar-20 13:36:23

Unplug the lights and take them into the room with the switches!

CherryCezzy Wed 11-Mar-20 12:45:39

I know exactly what that feels like, I'm short sighted and longsighted and I don't have his or vari- focals. Sometimes I have 2 pairs of glasses on my head grin

Auntieflo Wed 11-Mar-20 12:43:53

That's like the light switches in our porch. A couple of years ago, we had a new outside light fitted, which did away with the need for the second switch.
Great I thought. I will mark a black X on the redundant one.
What did I do, put a X on the one that is in use, and the wretched mark is not washable.
So we are stuck with a big X on the switch we need to use!

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 11-Mar-20 11:42:58

Sad thing is Cherry that without our glasses on, we now can’t read the labels!

CherryCezzy Wed 11-Mar-20 11:17:33

grin Oopsadaisy3

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 11-Mar-20 10:39:44

We have 3 switches by the front door,

1 for outdoor lights

1 for hallway lights

1 for upstairs hallway

All are labelled, we have been here for over 20 years and still can’t remember which one is which in the dark.

CherryCezzy Wed 11-Mar-20 10:35:14

Grandmacclampit the three switch scenario reminds me of the switches in my mother's hallway. She didn't have coloured light bulbs though but the three were for different rooms and there was no direct logic to which switch turned which room light on. If you were unfamiliar with the order and couldn't t enter one of the rooms at all to see which light came on you could me there all day!

BlueSky Wed 11-Mar-20 09:41:34

I used to hate this in Primary School and there were the clever clogs who put their hand up before I even understood the
question! Now I don't even try!

Pantglas2 Wed 11-Mar-20 09:35:51

If a bath has a small hole in it which let’s water out at a rate of one gallon a minute, how long would it take you to realise you needed a new bath?

annsixty Wed 11-Mar-20 09:17:56

If it takes a man and a half a day and a half to fill a bath and a half, what is the name of the clerk at United Utilities who sends the letter to tell you how much your monthly DD will rise by?

Auntieflo Wed 11-Mar-20 09:13:27

Sodapop. grin

sodapop Wed 11-Mar-20 08:48:54

Are you my twin AuntieFlo ? That would be my scenario exactly. grin

Auntieflo Wed 11-Mar-20 08:42:57

By the time I would have not worked it out,
1/ The train would have left the station, at 5 miles an hour and I would have missed it.
2/ The bath I left running, to see how long it takes to fill, or empty with a teaspoon, would have overflowed
3/ And, fused all the lights, red, blue and green.
I would be in the dark, and come last in the logic exam. smile

Grandmaclampet Wed 11-Mar-20 08:34:50

Oopsadaisy3 You have it but easy way is.
Turn one on
Leave one off
Turn one on for 5 minutes then turn it off

Anoia Wed 11-Mar-20 07:22:40

Hi, simple when you know how!

vampirequeen Wed 11-Mar-20 07:17:12

Oooh that's clever. I'm rubbish at logic problems.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 10-Mar-20 21:54:49

Turn on two of the switches for 5 minutes, turn one off, go into room, see which light is on , see which of the other 2 bulbs is hot, that is your second switch, the third one is the one you haven’t used.

Grandmaclampet Tue 10-Mar-20 20:39:16

THREE LAMPS IN A ROOM ALL HAVE OLD INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULBS. ONE RED ONE BLUE ONE GREEN
YOU ARE IN A SEPARATE ROOM WITH 3 LIGHT SWITCHES. YOU CAN NOT SEE INTO THE ROOM WITH THE LAMPS
ONE BLACK SWITCH ONE ORANGE SWITCH ONE WHITE SWITCH
YOU HAVE TO WORK OUT WHICH LIGHT SWITCH TURNS ON WHICH LAMP.
WHEN YOU ENTER THE ROOM WITH THE LAMPS YOU MUST SAY WHICH COLOUR SWITCH TURN ON WHICH LAMPS. YOU MAY ENTER THE LAMP ROOM ONCE ONLY