Gransnet forums

Chat

Lurkers' week: what's the WORST piece of advice you've ever been given?

(44 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Mar-20 09:28:18

Following on from our thread about the gems of good advice you've been offered, we thought we should explore the flip side too.

Trying to decide my own. So many. Will return!

Overthehill5 Fri 13-Mar-20 07:18:48

Years ago at a hairdressers I fancied a change the hairdresser persuaded me to go shorter in length, by the time she had finished I had short hair! I absolutely hated it

Chewbacca Thu 12-Mar-20 22:03:25

"Northern Rock or Ice Bank are offering excellent interest rates for savers; you can't go wrong putting your savings there....." WRONG!

CherryCezzy Thu 12-Mar-20 21:55:00

Sometimes two faces are necessary. No, never.

Rainwashed Thu 12-Mar-20 12:26:00

To stay at school when I wanted to go to college.

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:00:42

Lemongrove - I'm in stitches at the image you've painted. Did you get the job?

lemongrove Wed 11-Mar-20 20:20:50

The worst piece of advice was when going for a job interview
In London, in a high building, somebody telling me to take the stairs because the lift was always ages in arriving.
True, it wasn’t coming down and seemed to be stuck on the fifth floor, but I really should have waited.
Arriving on the seventh floor sweating like stoker really wasn’t a good look.

Evie64 Wed 11-Mar-20 20:13:52

Mine was "No, don't leave him, stay and try and work things out". for the sake of your children. Yes, I listened, and Yes, they were wrong.

Newquay Wed 11-Mar-20 18:58:55

I listened to my sister who said I should take my state pension as soon as I could-instead of, if I’d waited a year (I was still working) I’d be getting 10% more. All right for her she has state pension and a good NHS pension too!

Harris27 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:40:04

Holly steers I sympathise with you. I too left it very late and wished I’d had it earlier same results.

Harris27 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:38:44

I wanted to be a hotel receptionist got offered the job and my dad said it wasn’t for me. I’ve never really settled with my job and always wondered what if?

ValerieF Wed 11-Mar-20 18:35:05

I have never been given any bad advice! I have been given advice...some I have taken on board and some I have ignored.
As Erica Jong said "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t.”

harrison53 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:25:12

"Calm down" from someone who didn't have to live with the results.

hollysteers Wed 11-Mar-20 18:14:58

My mother bless her, urging me not to have a hysterectomy (“Wait for it to pass”)as she had one in her late thirties (I was older) and she had a nervous breakdown. She also had a hospital phobia. I ended up in a bad way, having blood transfusions etc., before having the op.

52bright Wed 11-Mar-20 16:29:21

Time heals ...not always.

cmwmoonshine Wed 11-Mar-20 16:24:16

He's no good for you he'll leave you in six months!
30 years later we are still together and are still in love ?

Lin663 Wed 11-Mar-20 16:19:10

@SueLindsey ...give it time, you may still find it useful..lol..

Annapops Wed 11-Mar-20 16:09:33

This is rather a sad one. The week my 35 year old sister lay dying in hospital-she had cf - and she was visited by a nun. "She's suffering for all the poor children in Africa," I was told, within the hearing of my sister. The anger I felt inside me has never left.

undecided Wed 11-Mar-20 15:20:49

"It is what it is"!!! Hate that expression - No, it does not have to be.

littleowl Wed 11-Mar-20 15:16:41

“It’s Not For You”

From my mother who hated my career choice but I went ahead anyway and loved every minute.

GreenGran78 Wed 11-Mar-20 15:12:18

In the days when we did what are parents told us to. I wanted to join the WRAF (Women’s Royal Air Force) I was persuaded (told) to leave school at 16 and get a ‘nice, safe office job.’
I always regretted not going to university or learning a trade in the WRAF,

Tillymint21 Wed 11-Mar-20 14:22:23

“Well I would, if I were you”.

(But you’re not!)

libra10 Wed 11-Mar-20 14:07:07

When The Halifax demutualised, we were advised to keep the shares and not sell, as they were so solid like 'keeping the family silver'.

We did as advised, and most of us will remember the economic crash of 2008, and our shares were drastically reduced, making them almost worthless.

We lost quite a lot of money.

dkdd Wed 11-Mar-20 13:56:13

"Everything happens for a reason" NO. IT. DOESN'T. It's a cop out.

michelleblane Wed 11-Mar-20 13:36:46

To sell some shares I'd inherited. I got £1000. That may sound good, but within months they had rocketed and a year later they were worth 8x what I sold them for.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Mar-20 13:19:37

Hmm. It could have been my mother saying I should wear my glasses instead of the contact lenses for my wedding, because I "looked more like me" apparently with them on.

Wrong. I looked more like Deidre Barlow in those massive bins, and thank goodness I changed to the lenses after the ceremony and at least got a few decent photos of the day!