Gransnet forums

Chat

Half empty /Half full type of person

(45 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 11-Mar-20 13:59:27

Which are you Gransnetters, I’m more of a half full,

Davidhs Thu 12-Mar-20 18:48:36

Key is being positive, doing all you can to get the best out of any situation, not having a “problem” just a “challenge”.

M0nica Thu 12-Mar-20 17:27:26

silverlining I am not sure it is a question of having a sunny nature, more a question of having looked into the abyss and seen the alternative and decided that being positive is the better option.

silverlining48 Thu 12-Mar-20 16:44:17

I wasn’t lucky enough to be born with a lovely sunny disposition, so my default is glass half empty BUT I but have been training myself to see things more positively and it’s working. Hence my user name.

M0nica Thu 12-Mar-20 16:27:53

Grandmamoira funny how the same phrase can mean entirely different things to different people.

Poppyred Thu 12-Mar-20 11:28:45

I used to be a glass half empty person until a major life event 13 years ago... it was either stay in bed with head under the covers or get up and do something about it. Very glad I chose the latter... I’ve never looked back and see things in a very different light now. ?

Madgran77 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:08:01

An optimistic nature has got me through a lot of difficult times, including at the moment.

And me Monica smile

GrandmaMoira Thu 12-Mar-20 11:02:14

I'm definitely glass half empty. I am cautious and not a risk taker and like to have things planned as much as possible. This way things are more likely to go well and I don't need to worry. My take on glass half full is not like people here are saying. To me being glass half full is not being organised, not planning ahead and hence things going wrong that could easily have been avoided - life is worse like that.

annodomini Thu 12-Mar-20 09:59:19

I'm neither half full or half empty. Perhaps I have no glass at all. I'm a 'take things as they come and deal with them' kind of person.Poor Gilly. I can't sympathise with you enough, having been through both toothache and sinusitis in my almost 80 years. One time when I was sure it was sinusitis, the doctor had it x-rayed and sent me to see a dentist who removed the tooth. This was in the 60s - nowadays my brilliant dentist would do a root canal. Have you had any x-rays or scans? I wish I could introduce you to my wonderful dentist, but distance precludes this move. I wish I could be more constructive, Gilly. This situation is not of your making. I just think it's time you were taken more seriously.

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 09:58:07

Have you been prescribed anti-inflammatories, gilly, rather than just painkillers?

GPs don't like prescribing them but they will in exceptional cases. I don't mean ibuprofen, something stronger such as Naproxen.

gillybob Thu 12-Mar-20 08:49:56

My GP says it’s acute sinusitis but I know it isn’t . I felt the most horrendous pain during the second root canal procedure and despite being well frozen it felt like the drill went right up behind my eye (sorry I know that sounds disgusting ). I almost shot out of the chair . He then proceeded to try and numb it more but I am sure he did something, well I know he did. The next day my face looked like I had been in a boxing ring and it got more and more swollen over the next few weeks. I have lost count of how many courses of antibiotics I have taken and can’t remember the last time I wasn’t in pain. Have since seen a different dentist (the one who has referred me) who says taking the tooth out might be pointless now.

I was never frightened of the dentist . My lovely trusted dentist of over 30 years retired last year and this new guy took over the practise. The very thought of visiting the dentist now is terrifying.

pensionpat Wed 11-Mar-20 22:36:04

A pessimist will worry about bad things happening. Some of them won’t and worry and energy will have been wasted. An optimist will also have bad things happen. But they will have been happier before that. I’m an optimist but even I’m worried at the moment about this dratted virus!

NfkDumpling Wed 11-Mar-20 22:27:18

Oh Gilly, I was hoping so much that your tooth/faceache had settled down. Are you on the list for cancellations? It's ridiculous that you're being left so long simply because you're a carer, without everything else that life is throwing at you.

dragonfly46 Wed 11-Mar-20 22:16:37

My glass is usually half full although I do worry about the family.

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 22:12:04

Or, gillybob, has anyone mentioned cluster migraines? BIL had those caused by stress, we think. They can be mistaken for sinusitis, so probably severe toothache too.

Nanof6 Wed 11-Mar-20 21:11:20

Gilly has anyone mentioned trigeminal neuralgia to you? Your pain seems very similar

MissAdventure Wed 11-Mar-20 21:00:47

I'm a realist, so sometimes my glass is half full, and sometimes half empty, and drained to the bottom, too, at times.

sodapop Wed 11-Mar-20 20:53:36

Always half full for me, ever the optimist.

Hope things improve for you soon gillybob

cornergran Wed 11-Mar-20 19:58:03

I always plan for worst case scenario, if I know what I’d do if the worst happens I don’t worry about it. Half full, half empty? Guess it depends which way you look at it smile.

Chewbacca Wed 11-Mar-20 19:54:28

I used to be glass half full kind of person but, the older I get, the emptier my glass gets.

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 19:50:55

Definitely half full.
Although I tend to be Calamity Jane too.

gillybob I too think you must be a glass half full person at heart for the way you cope with everything thrown at you with such good humour.
I presume you must have had your sinuses checked? I struggled for ages with a terrible toothache until it was found to be infected sinuses.
If not, I would have it taken out!

DH once said it was no good being always optimistic because you are constantly disappointed but I don't see it like that.
Stay optimistic but be prepared to cope with adversity.

MerylStreep Wed 11-Mar-20 19:12:36

We are both 'brimming over' people.
Once, in the work place I was asked ( in all seriousness) if I was on drugs.

M0nica Wed 11-Mar-20 18:59:38

Eillen* the point of being half full or brimming is that you look all troubles in the eye, plan for them, then with the plans ready for use you whizz on enjoying life but knowing that everything goes bad, you have a plan. or are confident that you can find one. An optimistic nature has got me through a lot of difficult times, including at the moment.

CanadianGran Wed 11-Mar-20 18:14:09

I would be a 3/4 full person! When I compare childhood memories with my siblings, it seems we came from different families. They remember all the bad stuff, I remember the good!

I think my kids get a bit fed up me when they call to moan about something and I say... 'Well, third world problems! You don't have to walk a mile to the well to get water for your dinner! Put it into perspective!" Late because you were stuck in traffic? - 'but you have your own car, and a job to go to! how lucky you are!' Etc.

FlexibleFriend Wed 11-Mar-20 17:52:02

I'm a full to the brim kind of person, like M0nica I should be depressed but that's not who I am and it's not about what life throws at you but how you deal with it that counts. Mostly troubles are just like water off a ducks back.

kittylester Wed 11-Mar-20 17:37:43

My mother said I was always to bloody pollyanna so I'm with monica. Its not a choice at all.

I am aware that people find it irritating!

gilly, I also think that you are a really positive person or you would have gone under by now. flowers