Gransnet forums

Chat

The silver lining... Plusses from the 'panic'

(187 Posts)
sandelf Thu 12-Mar-20 12:36:20

Lots of people are cleaning like they never have before.

The shops are peaceful.

People are not spluttering in public.

People smile and nod as a greeting (not the grubby grab).

curvygran950 Thu 12-Mar-20 17:31:48

Well done sandelf for starting a positive thread.

Both my sons in Australia are texting , or facetiming much more often [almost daily] and I am getting more frequent photos of small DGG. This is a very welcome outcome, but sadly it doesn't really make up for the fact that I shall not be seeing them as expected in April. Like Lucca, it's been over a year but long haul with a 2 yr old simply isn't going to happen .
So I'll do more complicated knitting and plan for the next visit !

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Mar-20 18:31:53

Unbelievable!!
Truly unbelievable, are the crassly selfish but more importantly, the ridiculous quantities of daft items people are hoarding.
Who needs shed loads of loo roll if there is less food to buy and anyway, we make it IN BRITAIN.
Who needs vast quantities of washing up liquid or dishwasher tabs?
Are you going to be using more dishes?
Utterly daft quantities of hard soap squirreled away and real fights over hand-wash/gel and other 'must have' commodoties.
Anyone who goes to those lengths is without doubt, totally mad and that's being polite.

SirChenjin Thu 12-Mar-20 18:34:30

I’ve just got home from another day working for the NHS. I’m glad you’re finding trivia to be positive about - it puts everything into context <sarcasm alert>.

Knittynatter Thu 12-Mar-20 18:39:58

I’ve just got home from another day working for the NHS and I think it does no end of good to stop and think a while about any silver lining that we can find. Be careful, but don’t be gloomy because that isn’t going to change a thing. thanks

Eglantine21 Thu 12-Mar-20 18:46:33

I hope I made it clear Gabriella that having lots of stocks of things is his way of life.

Indeed most of that came from his previous flat and moved with him ?

One bar of soap has a label that says 11p.........

May7 Thu 12-Mar-20 18:47:44

Well posted knittynatter these are for you thankswinecupcake

SirChenjin Thu 12-Mar-20 19:08:51

No it isn’t kitty - but neither is posting your thanks for trivia. Perhaps I take a more pragmatic view - good that so many of are doing that.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Mar-20 19:13:20

My silverlining: I didn't have to trek to the GP surgery today, find a parking space and then sit in a waiting room. Instead the GP phoned me and I had a consultation from the comfort of my armchair.

bikergran Thu 12-Mar-20 19:15:42

I will be interested to see how tomorrow goes, Im back in work at the checkout in my local supermarket, not been in work for nearly 10 days so.....we shall see what the real story is as to panic buying hmm

May7 Thu 12-Mar-20 19:29:04

My silver lining is I actually found a car parking space in the hospital today. It was right near the virus testing portakabins. Usually takes me about 30mins to find a space. I then used sanitizer gel going in and on my way out. I have not seen hand gel for the last 3 weeks and I dont have any anyway. Our local pharmacy isnt selling the bottles but if you present with an old bottle they will fill it for you for £1. Fair enough if it stops people stock piling it. Quite a pragmatic approach I think

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Mar-20 19:37:59

Eglantine21
11p...ye gods! ??

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 19:48:23

When I said should we go shopping I meant was it wise to go to the crowded shops.
And I am nearly out of washing up liquid, and only bought one.

The only thing in short supply was paracetamol which GP recommended I take for my knee pain, so I could be hobbling around.

Marydoll Thu 12-Mar-20 19:49:13

GabriellaG54, are you back or are you a different Gabriella? smile

Missfoodlove Thu 12-Mar-20 20:01:05

We are semi isolating, no gym, supermarket, restaurants.
We decided that if everyone that could limited all unnecessary contact then we may delay the virus.

Dog walking, cleaning and gardening is our occupation now!

We doubt we will have the holiday we booked next month and I am losing a lot of money through my work being affected and of course we are concerned for all our loved ones.

The silver lining for me is a cooker so clean I’m reluctant to use it ever again.

SirChenjin Thu 12-Mar-20 20:18:57

Completely off topic but what do you use on your stainless steel Missfoodlove - that’s a very impressive shine!

GrannyLaine Thu 12-Mar-20 20:20:09

sandelf thank you for starting such an interesting thread. I think it does no harm to occasionally be forced to give pause and think about what is important in the world. Yes, life looks different to us all at the moment and most of us are frightened about what might happen in the days /weeks / months to come. But there are always positives to be found even when things look grim.

Missfoodlove Thu 12-Mar-20 20:27:12

SirChenjin, The stainless steel is cleaned with method general purpose then I use steel shine and sparkle ??

Knittynatter Thu 12-Mar-20 20:28:12

May7 - thank you ?

Missfoodlove Thu 12-Mar-20 20:28:32

Sorry posted to soon! Astonish steel and shine.

MerylStreep Thu 12-Mar-20 20:36:52

GrannyLaine
but there are always positives to be found even when things look grim
Absolutely. That's how you survive.

SirChenjin Thu 12-Mar-20 20:37:59

It looks lovely - I’ll look out for that Astonish smile

SirChenjin Thu 12-Mar-20 20:40:24

That's how you survive

No, you survive by being able to access healthcare that is operating within capacity.

GrannyLaine Thu 12-Mar-20 21:05:38

Survival in life is not just about accessing healthcare: yes, there are times in life when we need that but mostly our survival is about the way we choose to look at things and the choices we make

SirChenjin Thu 12-Mar-20 21:16:13

Actually, survival for many has everything to do with healthcare capacity at this time.

Quiet hospital car parks? Jolly good! Just think about why they might be quiet.

Shops not crowded? Excellent! Although perhaps not so great for the staff whose hours and income are being cut.

It’s very easy to be positive as it means you don’t have to face reality.

kwest Thu 12-Mar-20 21:19:10

The prospect of a few weeks at home sounds rather comforting and time to be in the garden. Downside for me at the moment and it is driving me quietly crazy, is the laugh it off attitude of others. I am really worried. I should not be made to be embarrassed by saying so.