Gransnet forums

Chat

If you could go back in time...

(12 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 21:00:30

...who would you like to meet.

I'd like to meet my great, great, great grandmother. She gave birth in Newport, Isle of Wight but was a pauper in Hull 5 years later. The child seems to have two surnames and as her second child was definitely illegitimate and named in a similar fashion but with his father's name I'm guessing the first child was illegitimate too. The place she names on the census return as her place of birth doesn't seem to exist anymore so I've come to a dead end on her. I want to ask her who my great, great, great grandfather was, where she came from and how she ended up giving birth on the Isle of Wight and then moving to Hull. It's driving me insane. All the questions? Was she on board a ship with the baby's father but went ashore to give birth? Why didn't he come back for her? Did he die at sea or desert her?

tanith Fri 13-Mar-20 21:13:05

My Grandfather my Dads Dad, he died on the Somme 1916 while my Nan was pregnant with his son. Lots of things I’d like to ask him.
Delving into our ancestors can drive you bonkers with dead ends and unanswered questions.

merlotgran Fri 13-Mar-20 21:19:21

Have you thought of looking at Southampton as a link?

Merchant seamen were often the reason women gave birth away from their homes. Newport being convenient and away from gossip.

Interesting. I hope you find some answers.

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 21:57:48

Sadly I'm not even sure she used her real name. I think the surname is correct but I have a suspicion that she changed her Christian name or used a variation of it. If she came from Hull originally she could have been on board ship and dropped off at Newport to give birth then later hitched a lift back up to Hull but the area she states as her place of birth has never existed in Hull. It's possible she moved her then met a seaman but that's all speculation.

Humbertbear Fri 13-Mar-20 22:10:50

I’d like to meet my great-grandfather. He came over from Russia about 1880 . He left a wife over there and married twice over here. He must have been very charismatic.

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 22:16:43

Gosh he sounds really interesting.

DH family history is amazing. He's descended from a knight who came over with William the Conqueror. His family used to be very rich (many moons ago) but he's from mill worker and miner stock so he must be descended from the younger sons of younger sons. I'm peasant through and through [grin}

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 22:18:02

In fact, just like the Queen, he's descended from Odin. I'm married to a demigod grin

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Mar-20 05:41:21

Jesus Christ

fatgran57 Sat 14-Mar-20 07:35:10

GabriellaG54 Welcome back! Looking forward to many more of your posts.

Juliet27 Sat 14-Mar-20 07:41:23

Darwin

vena11 Sat 14-Mar-20 07:52:42

My Gran, she died when my mum was 2years old mum was fostered until she married my dad, she did not have a happy childhood A lot of questions unanswered.

vampirequeen Sat 14-Mar-20 09:02:36

I'd also like to meet Henry VIII but on an equal footing so that my head was safe grin