Gransnet forums

Chat

Confused.Com coronavirus

(80 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 17-Mar-20 12:58:44

Just had this come info come through to my iPad regarding the Coronavirus don’t deep clean your home, Don’t use cash Don’t share toothpaste Don’t bother wearing a mask , Do shop online, Do keep your distance Do rotate coats and shoes Do limit the use of public transport, I will be doing what I’ve always done.being sensible, not taking silly risks, and hopefully we will come through unscathed

Greeneyedgirl Sat 28-Mar-20 13:52:09

As Yennifer says we build up immunity by coming into contact with viruses and bacteria and our immune system kicks in to fight them and retain some immunity to these specific bugs.

How well we do this depends on our immune system which is influenced by our general health, whether we have certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, and importantly, age. Immune system is not as efficient when we age, that is why sero conversion for flu vacc doesn't always work in the elderly.

For a virus such as Covid 19 which is new, I don't really understand how being resilient to plenty of other bugs (ie ? present in a dirty house) would help, apart from showing your immune system is functioning.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

sukie Sat 28-Mar-20 01:37:37

Welbeck that is a better explanation than anything I've come up with. Though he's not cleaning, DH has been wearing himself out doing all sorts of house & garden chores, including roof work. I've reminded him that the last thing we need right now is an injury requiring a hospital visit.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 23:20:30

But we don't know where this information in the OP came from or even if it official advice, sensible advice or just opinions from people who think they know.

Even the scientists are on a learning curve with this as it is a novel virus.

Yennifer Fri 27-Mar-20 23:15:04

I don't get this idea that we need to build up resistance to fight Coronavirus. Yes getting cold and flu gives us a toolbox to fight mutations of colds and flu. Coronavirus is not the same. It's an animal virus which by some terrible luck has found a way to transmit and spread to people. We have nothing in our tool box for this one. Doesn't matter how many times you played in the mud, how many colds and flu you fought off, it all depends on exposure. The factor here is whether your immune system is compromised, how naturally strong it is. Won't matter what you did or didn't fight off before x

welbeck Fri 27-Mar-20 23:00:33

i was addressing the opening sentence in the OP, and Sukie's query as to why that might be.

Pikachu Fri 27-Mar-20 22:25:27

Wonder if No. 10’s cleaning staff heeded this advice then...

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 17:05:40

welbeck is there an injunction against deep cleaning your house?

Oh, whoopee!
smile

I am just carrying on as normal doing the usual cleaning although, now it has stopped raining and we are not constantly in and out, the floors have stayed cleaner.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 17:01:37

Sussexborn we did think that one of our DD might do the same but she developed a severe allergy so had to give up and has never been on a horse since.

welbeck Fri 27-Mar-20 15:55:39

i've been thinking about why the injunction against deep cleaning house.
i think it's because it is an unusual activity, which might involve extra exertion, over-stretching, use of step ladders etc, hence causing increased risk of injury.
we have to resist the temptation to over-use this time, as it were, likewise for gardening or d.i.y.

M0nica Wed 25-Mar-20 08:31:30

We will do the same as those going on essential journeys.

One weekly journey of 10 miles in a car which starts with a full tank will last a very long time, probably well over three months.

3 months =13 weeks x 10 miles = 130 miles.

I doubt there is a car on the road, unless you drive vintage or veteran cars, whose petrol tank has as little capacity as that. Most petrol tanks have a mileage capacity of as much as 300 miles. So the petrol now in the tank will also cover an extension to the three months.

I appreciate that some people need to be in social seclusion or shielding and driving is out of the question, but the thought of millions of people of all ages taking to the road all at once not having driven for 3 months or more, in cars that have not been used for three months and should have a full service before being driven, is actually quite frightening.

I am spending three months in my home strictly social distancing. I intend to enjoy every moment of it and I will make full use of all the possibilities this offers, including taking each car out for a short run each week to keep it operational and my driving skills sharp. If other people want to turn this period into a form of righteous martyrdom, that is fine, just do not include me.

Chrissielou Wed 25-Mar-20 06:24:07

So, for those people going out on unnecessary/non essential car journeys, what happens when your vehicle needs filling up with fuel? You will enter petrol stations, coming into contact with others who are at risk, potentally infected, or are essential workers with no option to stay at home safely. Non essential travel is exactly that, and is for the purpose of protecting yourself and others.

sukie Wed 25-Mar-20 05:23:02

It sounds like things are about the same here as there, a run on everything. Wouldn't be surprised to find the ATM out of cash. We've not yet been advised to limit our walks but I'm never closer than waving distance to anyone while out. Kind of you to use yours to help your neighbour. It was disappointing about the op after waiting 6 months and the worry with delay but I'm quite relieved it didn't happen as things have deteriorated quickly the last week in New Orleans, where it is to be done. As you say, I will just get through. Thanks for the link to the tune, a very nice note for me to head off to bed on!

welbeck Wed 25-Mar-20 04:50:47

yes, i'm ok thanks, getting used to restricted conditions. walked up road tonight, about a mile to get money from ATM for neighbour, so she can pay her careworker. no cash available, guess there's been a run on it. will have to try again. we are allowed one walk for exercise per day.
how annoying for you about your op, when you had mentally prepared yourself.
but, what can we do; just try to get through.
maybe time to put the kettle on ?
www.songsforteaching.com/folk/pollyputthekettleon.php

sukie Wed 25-Mar-20 00:55:53

welbeck Thank you for asking. My surgery, which had been scheduled for last Wednesday, the 18th, was cancelled 2 days prior. We're doing fine at the moment, staying home like most others. I hope you're well.

Sussexborn Wed 25-Mar-20 00:14:50

My stepsister started riding when we were at junior school. Unusual for a girl who was living in a council flat. For some reason (our Mums being friends) I had to go with her. Unfortunately I ate the sugar lumps instead of giving them to the pony (no intention of putting my hand near the pony’s mouth) and was really sick.

My stepsister has made a living from horses since she left school and horse swapping/ sharing seems quite common. They need plenty of exercise so it helps the owner if they haven’t got the time needed. Some horses seem to be owned by a few people which is another way to keep the cost down and make it more affordable.

welbeck Tue 24-Mar-20 23:48:02

Sukie, how are you doing over there.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 23:29:16

I'm not so keen either having been thrown by a very lively one a long while ago.
However, Peggy is quite docile now but too old to be ridden, it wouldn't be fair..

May7 Tue 24-Mar-20 23:15:37

Not a horse fan really.....Given the choice I'd quite like a donkey. I'd load it up with ALL my shopping and then saunter home through the dusty lanes to my home in the woods

EllanVannin Tue 24-Mar-20 23:04:21

My GFather had a pony and trap as living in the IOM he needed one to get around.
After work, grandpa used to call at the pub on his way home and being worse for wear his pals loaded him on the cart, slapped the pony's behind and off it went to take grandpa home.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 22:53:48

I do quite fancy a pony and trap to nip around in, like my MIL used to have.
I'm not sure if the DGC would be happy if I nobbled one of theirs though.

EllanVannin Tue 24-Mar-20 22:50:56

I use Shanks's pony !

pinkquartz Tue 24-Mar-20 22:50:41

It would be wonderful to go back to using horses and ditching the noisy toxic motor car.

I don't have one, would love a horse though thanks to OA I would need to be in a cart not on the horse.

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 22:46:14

isn't not hasn't.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 22:45:40

Sorry, just rather puzzled that one should need to borrow a horse.
I suppose if one lives in a flat that that makes sense.

Thank you for the clarification.

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 22:45:38

Nah...end of.
This thread hasn't about me so let's keep it about the virus and not a slings and arrows exercise...