Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Friday

(13 Posts)
fatgran57 Sat 21-Mar-20 02:36:48

Hello Rufus hope you are still OK. What with your carers coming in etc you cannot be really sure they won't be putting you at risk but what else can you do.

I was quite annoyed when I came home from my walk to find elderly brother in law visiting. He comes every couple of days - only lives down the road, but we did think he would stay at home at the moment.

Husband had not invited him inside and asked me to make them a drink which was consumed sitting out on the back lawn. We will not wash the mug used in with other washing up - this has been advised on line.

I did not join them and OH called out that he was keeping 1.5 metres away from him!

Husband tried to explain why visiting was not a good idea but it is very difficult to get through to some people.

I think I will have to place a "no visitors please" sign on the front gate.

Keep postingsmile

Oopsminty Fri 20-Mar-20 15:10:32

Hello there Rufus!

Nice to see you

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 15:02:17

Why should the population be exposed to criminals roaming the streets?
They will be the only ones roaming the streets, though!

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 15:01:19

I trust you've got a tape measure in the depths of your handbag to work out how many people you can legally fit into your local village hall!
Everthing in our village hall here is cancelled.
I'm not sure about the gatherings generally held outside in Australia though.

I have heard about the abuse some supermarket workers have been receiving over there. It is not their fault, be kind to them, they're doing their best. It is greedy, panicking customers who are to blame.

rafichagran Fri 20-Mar-20 13:45:34

Evening Rufus Like other posters said it is a terrible idea to release those prisoners.
My partner went out today for some fruit and he said he was shocked, he said all the shelves were stripped bare. He got his fruit from a outside stall.

JenniferEccles Fri 20-Mar-20 13:23:28

Keep the criminals in prison I say.

Let them take their chances as the rest of law abiding citizens in the world are.

Why should the population be exposed to criminals roaming the streets?

What a terrible idea.

Rufus2 Fri 20-Mar-20 13:19:42

Although I did hear a rumour that foreign students may be allowed back in
Missed that bit! told you I was tired! I could be wrong (again!), but what I heard was that many students, particularly nurses who are already here are to be allowed to work, which would not normally be allowed under their respective visa conditions!
Makes sense! smile

Rufus2 Fri 20-Mar-20 13:08:07

more stringent advice than banning gatherings of more than 500?
Callistemon While things are changing rapidly, I think the present situation is; Outdoor meetings not more than 500;
Non-essential indoor meetings not more than 100. Also indoors not more than one person per 4 square metres!
I trust you've got a tape measure in the depths of your handbag to work out how many people you can legally fit into your local village hall! grin
It's past midnight and my brain has nearly shut down so I'll have to leave you to wrestle with that!
Ta-Ra

EllanVannin Fri 20-Mar-20 12:57:52

My family are okay in Sydney for the time being and D was telling me about the scrambles/fights for toilet rolls and general panic leaving nothing for anyone else.
They're in isolation because a chap who works where my GS also works tested positive.

D and SiL had booked and paid for a trip into Melbourne for next month, which has been cancelled but the company won't give them their money back so they've lost out there. It included a " high tea " so D was quite miffed.
They can have a high tea anytime on the roof of their house grin

dragonfly46 Fri 20-Mar-20 12:35:17

My DD is in Australia at the moment and is telling old ladies are having toilet rolls snatched from their hands and there are none to be had in the shops. The panic buying is the same as here. She is going to have to self isolate when she gets back as the cases in Australia are increasing daily.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 12:13:59

Not a bad one, though Elegran!

From what I hear, Australia seems to be keeping everything well under control re the virus, Rufus, I hope it remains that way, but surely they may have to introduce more stringent advice than banning gatherings of more than 500?

Although I did hear a rumour that foreign students may be allowed back in - surely not?

Elegran Fri 20-Mar-20 12:07:12

With schools closed and many more children available, historical child abuse ofenders will be rubbing theiir hands at that one!
I'd have thought that prison was an ideal place for social isolation - just keep them all in their cells and feed them through a hatch. Wardens could wear rubber gloves and gas masks. (Note - not a serious suggestion grin)

Rufus2 Fri 20-Mar-20 11:59:20

Hello again; As someone said " It's a Mad, Mad. Mad World"
There may have been a few more "Mads", but that's enough for now! hmm Things seem to be calming down a bit in supermarkets; even managed to buy a litre of FULL cream milk. Anybody accustomed to bathing in it will have a long wait! blush
Our football season literally kicked off last evening with the traditional season opener which would normally attract a gate of 90,000 or so, but it was zero because the gates were shut to spectators due to you know what! Lots of comment that "Cash is King" when common sense should have prevailed.
More "Mad" evidence? From our newspaper yesterday;
"Leading criminal barrister Greg Barns is calling for elderly prisoners, including those convicted of historical child sex offences, to be released into home detention in anticipation of coronavirus sweeping through the prison system."
So what?
He added, "Desperate times call for desperate measures"
Strewth! I don't think they're that desperate; not yet anyway! hmm
The article claims that British authorities are also considering early release!

I've been challenged for claiming the person-to person spacing is 1.5 metres whereas it should be 2 metres
That may be the rule in the UK, but she should know by now that I'm in OZ! grin (and we are also 11 hours ahead!)
See following from same newspaper;

As Dr Brendan Murphy (Chief Medical Officer for Aust.Govt.) said;
"You should still be trying to keep 1.5 metres away from people at all times, and avoiding any handshakes or physical contact with people outside your family.
Outdoor gatherings of 500 or more people are still banned"

Can't argue with that! smile
Ta-Ra