Gransnet forums

Chat

Toilet rolls

(35 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Fri 20-Mar-20 19:22:13

Am I thick or something what’s the reason folks are buying up toilet rolls yes I know the purpose of toilet rolls but why why why?

Lovetopaint037 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:37:54

My grandson has been travelling with his girl friend in Vietnam and on the family chats via what’s app he mentioned they didn’t use toilet paper there. Apparently there is a water spray/gush that comes out of the wall. Also I read about midwives advising new mums to sit on the toilet, lean back as far as poss and pour a container of water over themselves. To think that I used to take toilet paper for granted.

Laughterlines Sat 21-Mar-20 08:08:02

Maybe people tear off a sheet and use it as a nose wipe so avoids buying tissues as well. Who knows. Heard somebody has £900 of toilet tissue. That should last them until 2197 I would think. It will settle down soon as the hoarders won’t need or have space for any more. Noticed everybody was buying beer from shop near me yesterday. They will all be alcoholics soon. That’s the next thing folks will hoard. Nice but not a necessity so we should be OK

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 08:04:17

grin

eazybee Sat 21-Mar-20 08:04:03

I don't monitor my use of toilet paper, (why would I) but I do wonder how much some people use in a week to necessitate all this panic buying.
I bought a pack of nine rolls and a had a pack of four two weeks ago; neither have been opened and I am using the rolls already in place in my loos, about three in each. I think about a roll lasts at least a week, but there is only me, no visitors at present, but equally I am not using any facilities elsewhere. Something to check to pass the time?
The point of this long and probably boring thread is to wonder what general household consumption is, and why the panic buying, discounting medical needs and families with young children.
Perhaps sheets of paper need to be held in Miss's cupboard and handed out as they were in the days of school outdoor toilets!

Abnuyc123 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:54:43

It was a quiet Monday morning in September 2053, when John woke up. He needed the loo but for John this wasn’t just another day. This was the day he would open the last package of toilet paper his parents bought in 2020. ?

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 07:48:04

GagaJo stress and worry can lead ones body to mimic the symptoms one is worried about - and you have had a very stressful week.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:59:19

Just noticed this in MailOnline. Confirmation of my upthread post.

ananimous Fri 20-Mar-20 22:48:24

A family of four self isolating shopping for 2 weeks times the whole country = empty shelves in no time - I don't buy the line about panic buying, it's blamey, and even if I did: saying so will only encourage others to stockpile more out of fear.

lemongrove Fri 20-Mar-20 21:38:42

ananimous.....there is a fine line between stockpiling and panic buying!
Both involve overflowing trolleys and lack of goods for others.
At last, supermarkets are doing some restricting of food and toiletries, so when the shelves are restocked, goods will go to all....we hope!

GagaJo Fri 20-Mar-20 21:31:52

My friend from Wuhan has said her relatives that have had it all had diarrhoea. I was a bit worried yesterday when I had a cough, sore throat, headache and the runs. Better today tho!

Calendargirl Fri 20-Mar-20 21:27:12

Having said that, no beer on the shelves at Tesco today. Now the pubs are closed, that will be the next panic buy.

Calendargirl Fri 20-Mar-20 21:25:52

As Monica says, I really think that as long as supplies keep coming into the shops, as time passes and this new way of living (and shopping) becomes more ‘normal’, the majority of sensible people will go back to their usual type of shopping, and the panic buying will hopefully subside.

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 20:56:44

There have been interviews with several toilet roll manufacturers. They all made it clear that they would have no problem meeting demand for the foreseeable future.

I think in a few weeks when all the panic has died down, goods will be stacked up in the supermarket will be stacked up and no-one will be buying because they are eating/ cleaning themselves through their stockpile.

J52 Fri 20-Mar-20 20:52:47

Theory- toilet rolls take up a lot of space on the shelf, so initially a few people buying big packs leaves a shelf empty.

The following shoppers see empty shelves, think ‘toilet rolls in short supply’ and hunt down supplies to mass buy. And so it goes on.

Just a thought. No panic buying in this house.

CherryCezzy Fri 20-Mar-20 20:48:19

GabriellaG & Elegran I haven't heard any reference to Covid-19 causing diarrhoea. I did hear one expert saying it doesn't. When I looked on the nhic website it didn't appear in the symptoms list. Keeping an open mind I guess it may happen in a few cases as a consequence of fever. Maybe, however, in the beginning not knowing much in the way of detailed specifics people had an associative idea of it being linked/similar to novavirus. Then before you know it as soon as some groups of people stockpile a certain product other people either think "what do they know that I don't" and they follow suit or they think they had better get some too before they run out thereby the inevitable unavailability ensues.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 20-Mar-20 20:44:46

We used to use dry newspaper hung up on a hook in the loo at the end of the garden, I expect (if we had looked) we all had black bums!

One aspect of life I don’t really want to revisit.

bikergran Fri 20-Mar-20 20:41:58

Desdemona you havn't lived lol lol, think we/most of us remember the harsh newspaper..mind you when it had been hanging in the outside lave a few days it prob got quite damp" lol, I rem it at my grans house, outside.

Desdemona Fri 20-Mar-20 20:36:41

I said damp newspaper because I would imagine dry newspaper to be very harsh on the backside.

Desdemona Fri 20-Mar-20 20:35:59

Has anyone got ideas on what to do if there is genuinely no toilet roll to be had for weeks/months?

I thought maybe I would use tissues or kitchen roll (if there is any in the shops) or maybe damp newspaper - then bag it up and put it in the wheelie bin.

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 20:27:00

Probably fear of the virus gives them the s**ts.

SpringyChicken Fri 20-Mar-20 20:11:25

Lucky girl, SIL will soon have a drain blockage. Drop a sheet of toilet paper in water and swish it round. It soon disintegrates. Kitchen roll, tissues and newspaper does not.

Elegran Fri 20-Mar-20 20:03:18

In a very small proportion of cases.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 19:54:34

Apparently, diarrhoea can be one result of contracting Covid-19

vegansrock Fri 20-Mar-20 19:47:11

If you can’t get out for a month you need loo rolls maybe? As well as soap, washing powder, basic foodstuffs etc . Why are we surprised?

petunia Fri 20-Mar-20 19:44:48

i think the loo roll situation started by accident. someone, somewhere mentioned on facebook or twitter that they needed to get some loo rolls in in case there's a shortage when the coronavirus hits. that's all it took and, wham, no loos rolls to be had