Gransnet forums

Chat

Facebook

(9 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:48:11

I know lots of people decry Facebook and fair enough that's up to them. However, I'm really pleased that we have a local Facebook page for Corona virus issues. All sorts of people, businesses and charities are posting useful local info re things like getting help and shopping to those in need as well as news of temp job vacancies for displaced workers and so much more useful local info. I'm sure lots of other areas have their own Facebook groups. It's really worth checking.

merlotgran Sat 21-Mar-20 09:56:55

Three cheers for facebook. I couldn't survive without it. Group chats are keeping the family together, one of my oldest friends has a birthday today and it's heartwarming to see all the messages flooding in especially as she has been ill.

Photo sharing with a simple click, facetime calls, local news and info.

It's my lifeline.

glammanana Sat 21-Mar-20 10:05:01

Jane10 We have a really good local Facebook page all the mums are helping each other,local shops are offering contactless deliveries for the house bound and local restaurants are cooking off all their stocks for the locals.

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 10:08:13

Merlotgran , me too! Wattsapp especially useful for talking to Oz family. Several new community groups have been started to help each other out in our area .

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 10:14:24

I wasn't aware of that Glamma, then again I don't use facebook ordinarily. Hope all is well with you. x

glammanana Sat 21-Mar-20 10:21:22

EV It may be worth looking into it you can be as friendly or private as you like,it gives you an insight as to what is going on out and about,some posts are obviously over the top but generally not bad.

Marelli Sat 21-Mar-20 10:21:45

Our Facebook village community page is very good. The younger folk looking out for us older ones re the virus and trying to find out who may like to have papers, milk etc delivered. This is where Facebook works well.

Jane10 Sat 21-Mar-20 11:12:10

So you people who look down on it give it a try. You can leave once this is all over. No need to contribute or give any info away. Just a good source of local info and support.

yggdrasil Sat 21-Mar-20 11:58:01

Set your privacy level to 'friends only'. Then join as friends only those you want to hear from. Or like the local group.
Then FB is safe.
I couldn't do without it