Gransnet forums

Chat

Its not JUST about hand washing.

(20 Posts)
Grandmaclampet Sat 21-Mar-20 16:33:41

Some people will never learn.
It is NOT SAFE to go out.
Coronavirus can hang in the air for hours. If someone has sneezed or coughed in an enclosed space and you enter it, you WILL breath in this virus. It will probably kill you.
STAY HOME!

Blondiescot Sat 21-Mar-20 17:00:46

Not everyone has the option of staying at home, unfortunately. Some HAVE to go to work.

Grandmaclampet Sat 21-Mar-20 17:06:45

Totally understood. However trips to hairdressers, tea with friends etc is stupid beyond words. Yes go for a walk in the park and keep your distance but please no more hairdressers!

BlueSky Sat 21-Mar-20 17:51:04

Enjoy your walks in the open air away from other people, because they too could be stopped very soon!

skb235 Sat 21-Mar-20 18:04:35

The majority of people will NOT die from this virus, stop the over-reacting please

MamaCaz Sat 21-Mar-20 18:12:49

While it is too soon to be sure, it is possible that some of those who survive it might be left with permanent lung damage.
In other words, if that turns out to be correct, there is more to this than just whether or not people live or die from it.

Daddima Sat 21-Mar-20 18:21:24

It will probably kill you?

A bit of an overreaction, surely?

JuliaM Sat 21-Mar-20 18:32:15

We have just returned from a drive out in the countryside to get some fresh air, just me and my DH. I was shocked at the sight of the amount of customers packed tightly inside or local Fish and Chip shop waiting to be served. It was as busy as any other normal Saturday evening, even though there were display signs on their windows offering a Ring and Collect service.

Likewise the seaside towns on the East coast have been very busy today with visitors and the seafronts have been Business as usual without regard to advice given by the Govenment to self distance.

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 18:35:50

It won't probably kill you. For the majority of people, the virus will be like the 'flu.

Lucca Sat 21-Mar-20 18:45:25

I would love you to be right salsaqueen but have you watched any news from Italy ?
No one is overreacting but many people are being very silly and ignoring all advice. Why would you ?

Lucca Sat 21-Mar-20 18:49:09

4825 dead in Italy

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 19:09:38

Lucca. Read the FACTS on the government website. Incidentally, millions of people are having to go to work. They aren't all going to die.

Pikachu Sat 21-Mar-20 19:46:42

85% of deaths in Italy are over 70s.

Pikachu Sat 21-Mar-20 19:47:31

How old are you SalsaQueen?

welbeck Sat 21-Mar-20 19:53:26

the older you are, greater the risk.
even for those who survive, there may be long term damage or disability, almost bound to be for those who are hospitalised, may affect various organs, and functions.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 20:38:34

Really there is a lot of alarmist nonsense being promulgated on GN today. And, I am afraid Welbeck I include your post among it. What is the evidence that any older person getting the virus will almost certainly be left with long term damage?

Morbidity for Corvid-19 runs from under 1% for children to 10-15% for those over 70. and the most noticeable feature of those who have died is that they had an underlying medical condition. Some may have died anyway from that condition. Having the virus in you when you die doesn't mean that it killed you.

Public Health England has published and upgrades regularly a Guidance document for all the different groups of people. Follow that, it is quite clear, and stop trying, metaphorically, to see how many corvid-19 angels you can get to dance on the head of a pin.

Yes, of course I could get the virus and it could kill me but I am probably more likely to have a fatal stroke or heart attack.

I am over 70 and am following the appropriate guidance for people my age who have no underlying health conditions.

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 22:05:12

Pikachu almost 61, and worked in the care sector for 20 years.....how old are you, with such a silly name?

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 22:06:26

Pikachu A large proportion of Italy's residents are elderly. It's not the same here. Read up about it.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 22:31:02

There are so many factors involved but pikachu is not wrong in stating that 85% (plus) of deaths in Italy have been in the over 70 age group and in fact a higher proportion of men than women have died.
Italy has a very large elderly population.
Could smoking be a factor as I wonder if more a Italian men tha women smoke?

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 23:10:46

Smoking was very common in Italy, on a par with France I reckon. The first fatality in China was a younger man in reasonable health but a heavy smoker. The Italian birthrate has been very low for about 30 years or more so older people account for 25%of the population.

In any country older people are going to account for most of the deaths because mortality increases with age