Gransnet forums

Chat

Things I hate, why I hate them, and why I feel sorry for DH!

(18 Posts)
phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 18:54:40

Hello all, and sending good wishes.

Things I hate.

Going to the hairdressers.

Going to the opticians to choose new glasses.

Why I hate them.

Because both involve looking at oneself in a mirror.

Why I feel sorry for DH.

Because although the periods spent looking in a mirror at the opticians or hairdressers are (thankfully) limited, the poor sod chap has to face that across the table every damn day!

Lisagran Sat 21-Mar-20 18:56:36

You’re just fishing for compliments grin

GrannyGravy13 Sat 21-Mar-20 18:58:54

Phoenix that has made me giggle grin thank you very much flowers

midgey Sat 21-Mar-20 19:00:45

I never look in the mirror, I am astonished to see a fat, stooping old bat in a shop window then realise it’s me!

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 19:04:22

Phoenix. Me too. I avoid the hairdresser's whenever I can (I go about 3 times a year)

I NEVER try on clothes in a shop, for the same reason - I hate the fat old bird in the mirror.

I don't feel sorry for my husband! He doesn't look like he used to, either.

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 19:06:23

Perhaps I'm the only person who has their hair cut with their eyes closed!

midgey while in a shop with mirrors on the pillars, I was shocked to see my mother, especially as she was dead!

kittylester Sat 21-Mar-20 19:33:21

I agree with your OP phoenix!! How DH copes with looking at my mother every day, I never know especially as he didnt like her!!

TerriT Sat 21-Mar-20 19:34:26

When I was younger I didn’t believe in ghosts. In recent years I’ve changed my mind and the reason is because my mothers face appears in mirrors whenever I look in one!!! She’s been dead 20 years you see.

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 19:34:38

kitty grin

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 19:39:53

PS. At my mother's funeral, her boss from years ago (also her brother in law, as she ended up marrying the other director, another story!) did a double take when he saw me. Don't know why, my mother was about 5'8" , I'm 5'2", but apparently we look alike.

Just hope I don't become like her.sad

Greymar Sat 21-Mar-20 19:42:03

You won't. Take it easy.

eazybee Sat 21-Mar-20 19:47:16

My hairdresser visits me at home, and does my hair in the kitchen, so I don't have to stare at myself until it is all over.

JoyBloggs Sat 21-Mar-20 19:51:16

Apologies if I've mentioned this before...
No mirrors in our house. Somebody has replaced them all with artists' impressions of me when I'm a wrinkly old woman. It's a very scary prospect... not looking forward to it sad

Doodle Sat 21-Mar-20 20:12:29

Well I don’t mind looking in mirrors at all. I’m so short sighted all I can see is a blobby sort of blurred thing with fuzzy bits on top.i have no idea who or what it is grin

annodomini Sat 21-Mar-20 20:25:51

I look quite good in the bathroom mirror after I've had a shower - then I put my glasses on. Hello Granny!

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 21-Mar-20 20:32:07

I hate people eating gum, especially when they invite all around to see inside their mouths, so rude!!

Curlywhirly Sat 21-Mar-20 20:33:07

I agree, it's awful looking at yourself at the hairdressers with hair scraped back and hair dye daubed all over, and I didn't realise that I pull such faces when I am talking! Also, what about when you look in a magnifying mirror with your reading glasses on?!! What a shock that is, where did all those wrinkles come from? Very scary. Mind you, when I've got my glasses on I have noticed himself has hair growing out of his ears and stray one inch long eyebrows (which I have since dealt with!). Who'd be old eh? ?

Framilode Sat 21-Mar-20 21:08:42

I also keep my eyes closed when my hair is being done and then wonder why I don't like it.