Gransnet forums

Chat

Too much news is bad for you

(4 Posts)
seacliff Sat 21-Mar-20 20:51:28

I found myself getting really stressed and upset this morning, with worries about if our delivery will come, where can we get bread etc, which is not really like me. We won't starve for a while.

In the end I went outside and sat with foster cats in the sunshine, in their run. Just made me forget all the bad news for a while. I am going to restrict my looking at news to a quick look morning and late afternoon. That's it. The attached has some good pointers for mental health and well being, in these strange and scary times.

Gaunt47 Sat 21-Mar-20 21:14:58

Seacliff this is a useful reminder to keep things in proportion. When you feel upset or miserable, do come and join us on the Trying to Keep Our Spirits Up! Coping Strategy thread, it's very silly and will take your mind off the bad news.

Mapleleaf Sat 21-Mar-20 22:33:26

Thank you for posting that seacliffe. It’s a helpful reminder about what we, as individuals can do. The other things, well, we can't control those, so we can only focus on what we, personally can do.

Witzend Mon 23-Mar-20 07:42:29

Hear hear, seacliff. I’ve been trying to tell dh (though might as well not bother) that there’s a difference between keeping yourself properly informed, and being glued to doom and gloom on phone/computer most of the day. He still will, though - and yet he’s the one who until about a week ago was still going to his two classes that were still running!

He was the same when you simply couldn’t get away from Brexit - permanently glued to the news and IMO positively wallowing in (to him) the doom and gloom of it.
Heigh ho. I dare say he’s getting some sort of masochistic enjoyment out of it!,