Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Mon 23-Mar-20 06:15:26

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a clear bright start here in Brackley despite overnight frost.
Today, stay in do some housework , I have got enough food in so will only go out midweek for a look at shelf stock in nearby supermarket.
Only hope the situation starts to improve , with all various closers of pubs, and other related places .
Mick

fatgran57 Tue 24-Mar-20 02:09:35

Yes Megs36 good that your husband is back home and Corona test negative.

Marydoll Mon 23-Mar-20 23:36:29

Glad to hear your news, Megs!

Megs36 Mon 23-Mar-20 23:24:24

Husband home this evening,happy to say although still quite poorly, COPD kicked in I guess, Corona test negative TG, won’t be going anywhere or meeting anyone, really missing the family already, need to obey the ‘Rules’. Mobile phones and internet running hot. Got the NHS text this afternoon.

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 21:53:55

I haven’t been able to get hold of anyone from the bank or the LA ( my landlord) . Everyone apparently working from home ?

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 21:52:23

Yes we do Scentia . I got an email from him today saying he would be In contact when he knows more . I was considering cancelling DD’s as they’ll probably bounce anyway . We only have 3 employees ( plus me and DH) these days but I am so worried about them . They’re lads with families and mortgages . Just like my own kids . I Can’t stop crying.

Scentia Mon 23-Mar-20 19:52:34

Gilly
I spoke to my accountant today and he said not to pay my VAT for the first quarter and to cancel the direct debit. He said my local authority will contact me in a week or do about the grant.
I took a mortgage holiday today and I have looked into a business interruption loan at the bank just in case. Our business is on the way down I am afraid but we have to do everything we can to save it, the only saving grace is that unlike you, we don’t have employees.
Do you have an accountant at all?

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 18:34:23

Nothing that we are aware of yet GrannyGravy thank you . x

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Mar-20 16:52:30

Keep safe and well Cambia

Cambia Mon 23-Mar-20 16:19:11

Thank you everybody for the warm wishes on travelling back to the UK. The Greek government shut down all flight to and from the UK today, so we are stuck here now for the foreseeable future.

I am just so glad we had not set off and got stuck in Athens with nowhere to stay. We have a lovely home here and are in a remote and beautiful rural area. Most days see more sheep and goats than people. The Greek government have been so strict so quickly that we also feel safe, even though we can only leave the house with permission basically.

Sad not to be home near our family as they are under pressure but also glad to know that we are not putting them at further risk by travelling back via planes and trains.

Keep safe and well everyone. Xx

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Mar-20 15:57:40

Gillybob is there a website where you can register your business for help?

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 15:32:09

Update: I have been on hold to the government CORONAVIRUS helpline for almost 4 hours . I'm sitting here on my own freezing cold with my coat on as I don't dare put the heater on as that's more money wasted. I forgot to bring any milk from home (we normally have a stock of long life stuff here but none left......I told one of the lads who has small children to take it home with him on Friday ) so I can't even make myself a cuppa.

I've tried ringing the bank and the local authority and it seems everyone is working from home (can't say I blame them) and no one is answering the phone. I have already past 2 of my time limits and there is no way of knowing where I stand in the queue. Knowing my luck I will hang up the second before someone was going to pick up.

Like many others I feel like crying.

Grannmarie Mon 23-Mar-20 14:54:53

Messages dropped off..

Means grocery shopping in our area?

EllanVannin Mon 23-Mar-20 14:05:45

Newquay, they're the twin teen GGC, not adults hahaha, that would make me really ancient. Methuselah ?

ann678tifney Mon 23-Mar-20 13:18:49

Morning everyone. Gillybob some of our clients have started to received grant letters from their local authorities, so hopefully you should get on and that should help your business out. Also if you have to close then you can claim 80% of the workers wages, but not sure how that is going to happen yet, sorry, think we are all learning as we go along. Had a lovely mothers day yesterday, went to DD for dinner but we are being careful where we go and with who. Hope everyone keeps safe.

CherryCezzy Mon 23-Mar-20 13:17:34

Good morning Mick and all GMs from a beautiful day here in the Gower. I can hardly believe it's lunchtime already!
I was very touched yesterday after receiving the photos and even more so when I received the series of phone calls, very long ones at that, first from my N1 then from the 2 older Gns and then my N1 I didn't expect. My N1 & N2 had a lovely 5 way virtual chat with her parents and siblings families, my eldest GN said it was " mayhem' but "cool" .
This afternoon me are having to go out hmm as for a number of weeks now we've been having car trouble. The local garage put a new battery in but my WP has detected a spark plugs issue. We can't manage without the car as my WP has CPS and struggles to walk back & fo to the chemist and we both need our medications at some point. I don't know if we will be able to get some from somewhere?
Glad you were able to get your medication Urmstongran, take care on your journey Cambia
Look after yourselves everyone, stay safe ❤️

Grannmarie Mon 23-Mar-20 12:30:43

Good afternoon, Mick and all GM posters, old and new, from a cloudy Lanarkshire, hoping for some sun today.

Yesterday was a very different Mother's Day for me.
Mapleleaf, like you, no church but I watched online Mass from a nearby parish, so thankful for that.

At the end of the broadcast, the priest told housebound/self isolating to contact him if they needed messages dropped off, and it would be arranged.

A video call from the grandchildren cheered me up!

Welcome, Maybelater!

Cambia, safe journey.

Urmstongran, glad you got your medication.

Lovebeige, condolences on your loss.

Marydoll, NannyJan, Gillybob, Auntieflo, yes, we must have been terrible mothers putting our children into lovingly made/ knitted clothes, beautiful shoes...
My adult sons laugh at old photos, saying,
Mum, why did you always dress us the same?
Cos I knitted them matching Icelandic jumpers, also Arans and cartoon characters, remember those?

It was a labour of love, only with the distance of the years that they have become comical!

Love and prayers to all X

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:16:11

Pleased you got your medication Urmstongran, I hope the Spanish sun appears for you soon.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:15:18

I have just done Joe Wicks my intention is to make it part of my daily routine grin

Susan56 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:05:23

Glad you got your medication Urmston?

dragonfly46 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:42:40

Yes safe journey Cambia.
So pleased you have got your medication Urmston everything is such an effort at the moment.

EBear Mon 23-Mar-20 11:31:38

Good morning from a cold, but sunny Norfolk. I rarely post but follow avidly the daily postings, it's so nice to see the support given to everyone especially in these challenging times. My GS and I did the Joe Wicks work out at 9 this morning we face timed each other so we could watch that neither of us cheated! Now for a well earned cup of tea and sit down before a bit of gardening in the sunshine. Take care everyone.

Urmstongran Mon 23-Mar-20 11:18:36

Yes, safe journey home Cambia. x

Scentia Mon 23-Mar-20 11:18:29

Just taken a look at Joe Wickes as I had no idea who he was. After seeing him, I can safely say I will be logging on tomorrow?. Hope it’s not too taxing.!!

M0nica Mon 23-Mar-20 11:17:21

South Oxfordshire started bright and sunny with a temperature of -1.6.

This Monday is much like any other Monday. I went for my morning walk, around the village rather up among the fields. I saw a few people but we were giving each other wide births.

I am now taking a break for a cup of coffee. Otherwise I am doing the cleaning, my usual Monday morning job. Last week before we settled in for the duration I went round the house and garden listing things to do. We then stocked up with seeds, compost, DIY materials in preparation. My first task will be the garden, which has nothing done to it since October. Even the Autumn tidy was left uncompleted because of the rain, then wind.

Hev61 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:06:19

Lovely weather here in Kent.my eldest daughter was going to host a cream tea for mothers day.we all decided to cancel,so she made it and delivered it to us.it was lovely.