Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Tue 24-Mar-20 06:10:31

Good Morning Everyone,
Its nice bright but cold start here in Brackley this morning.
This will be the first Tuesday with a change of routine .
Bus trips are out , confined to my flat , but the only thing I may do is local Supermarket.
Waitrose have adopted a policy for the elders and NHS staff , if you need an item and its not on the shelf such as Toilet Rolls ask a member of staff to get one.
Mick

conor Tue 24-Mar-20 13:14:44

Popped back to catch up as not going anywhere today except the garden! Marydoll pleased to hear you upbeat again. If you go down what hope for the rest of us!! Gillybob we are all thinking of youflowers
Have somehow managed to get an Iceland delivery for tomorrow. Never had food online before as love a mooch around the aisles(remember that!) but hopefully will bring essentials. DS will collect medication and throw it from the path. Trying to keep busy and finding lots od crevices to clean! Xxxx

Grannmarie Tue 24-Mar-20 12:39:33

Good morning Mick, and all GM posters old and new.

11° in Lanarkshire, sun is peeping through the clouds, hoping it will brighten up soon cos I'm going to hang out some washing.

I did PE with Joe Wicks this morning, just marched on the spot for the floor exercises, cos if I got down I would have great difficulty getting back up again! I will go out for a walk later, blow away the cobwebs.

Thinking of you all today, especially if you are home alone, like me.

Keep busy, keep safe, one day at a time.

Sending love and prayers to all who wish them.thanks

Nodj Tue 24-Mar-20 12:33:37

Good morning from US. It is a bright sunny day today although a little cool. Trying to get into a new norm as we continue to fight the virus. We are staying in and have been for a week. These are strange times for us; love seeing the conversations from across the “pond”. Everyone take care!

CherryCezzy Tue 24-Mar-20 12:22:37

Beautiful day here in the Gower ?. The twins next door have been springing on the trampoline until their hearts content. The squeals and laughter has been very uplifting, I'm sure one of them can be the next Barbara Windsor as her giggle is so similar.
Marydoll I'm sure dragonfly is right as we went to our garage yesterday as we are having battery draining issues (new battery was only fitted 2 months ago hmm ).
The garage told us that the latest information they've had is that all due MOTs will be suspended but no-one will be penalised and will be able to use their car.
We went to the supermarket slot yesterday and felt blessed and quietly joyous and everyone in the store was very well behaved. There was one woman in the carpark that upset us though when we were parking as we reversed into a vacant disabled space. She was shouting at us from inside her car and gesticulating aggressively. My WP had indicated, there were other vacant disabled spaces and we couldn't understand why she was being so nasty. When we parked she didn't even take up a disabled space so we still don't know why she was so angry.
Now I've had my moan of the day and it has been about something very trivial, especially in the light of what many of you lovely GMs are going through!
I don't think anybody on here is moaning, some of you especially have very difficult situations to contend with. Virtual ((hugs)) all round ❤️ flowers
Like many of you today we are spending the day cleaning & gardening and a nice sit outside with a pot of tea.
Stay safe one & all. Be kind to yourselves x

Jaycee5 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:44:05

Gwenisgreat1 I have had the same problem. Cannot get delivery slots from Iceland, Waitrose, or Morrisons. They all do deliver and are sending helpful emails telling me what they are doing to help. Amazon has little available and a lot you have to be on Amazon Prime. I got my allergy tablets from them as I worry about running out of those (2 packet minimum but that will last me about 6 weeks).
I will have to go to the local shop by the end of next week but there are no signs of it getting any easier. They have removed baskets so you can only buy what you can carry.
My neighbour's grandson is going to wash our hallway down. It is easy to grab the handrail without thinking. His grandmother is in her late 80s and the people downstairs are in their late 80s and early 90s.
Other countries have a spike after the first couple of weeks of people staying in because they start to relax and think it will be ok now.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:42:59

Good Morning all, Well I succeeded in purchasing a delivery pass for Asda, only snag - I can't have a delivery until after easter!!!!

ann678tifney Tue 24-Mar-20 11:41:14

Morning All, have had a very busy morning at work with phone calls from clients about grants, paying wages etc. So understand where you are coming from Gillybob, its all very frustrating. The wages grants are supposed to start in April, but they will back date to payments in March, but still not sure how employers will get it, if I hear anything Gillybob I will let you know. I am at work as classed as essential, but hoping I might be able to reduce my hours, fingers crossed. Marydoll not sure what is happening about garages, we have some clients that have closed and some still open, so hope you get your car MOT done, as you do need it to get about. Keep safe everyone

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:29:20

Waitrose order update one cereal substitute, different chicken kievs (yep I know I am being lazy), no kitchen surface cleaner, and little pizzas for GC not available.

The rest of my order was complete and on time ????

Theoddbird Tue 24-Mar-20 11:24:29

Good morning from the River Lark on the Cambridgeshire Suffolk border. The sun is shining and the water sparkling. I have just ordered seeds to start growing some of my own veg. I have a lovely garden mooring. This afternoon I will take a solitary walk by the river. Thank goodness the sun is out to lift our spirits.

Craftycat Tue 24-Mar-20 11:17:25

Morning from Surrey

Lovely warm sunny day. Nipped out to get bread from baker & the town was nearly empty. Good to know people are taking it seriously.
Bought 3 large loaves & noticed I was getting some odd looks so explained that I was getting 2 for neighbours who are not going out at all.
I will start making my own bread when this has gone- at east until the bread flour lasts- I love making bread so no hardship. (I'll still shop for neighbours)
An afternoon in the garden I think as it is so lovely out there- get a start on the weeding & lawn mowing!

Purplepixie Tue 24-Mar-20 11:16:42

Good morning from a lovely sunny East Midlands. I’ve just had a walk out on my own and away from people and it was so quiet. I stopped to watch the lambs in the nearby field and listened to the woodpecker. I had to cross the road a couple of times to avoid people just walking into me. Ignorance is not bliss! This afternoon I am going to repot some more house plants after doing some yesterday. Make a spaghetti bolognese for tea and phone my friend tonight. Stay safe.

dragonfly46 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:15:36

Hope this copies

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:14:12

Good Morning folks. Don't know how many are having my problem, probably quite a lot. Since Friday I have been trying to register for supermarket delivery, first, it seems I have to purchase a delivery pass - no one in our area is selling any more!! Morrisons (where I have shopped for the passed 25 years) do not deliver in my area and do not do click and collect. I have no option but to depend on my two daughters.
Grumble over

dragonfly46 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:13:44

Mary apparently there is such a thing as a TEC document (Temporary exemption doc) which will automatically be sent to you if your MOT is due.

Jaycee5 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:13:17

Nice and sunny here in Harrow.
Strange start to the day though, I went downstairs a little while ago and heard a big bang. I just looked in time to see a big black bird swoop upwards away from a car which looks new.
It had left a big dent in the door. I can't decide whether to put a note on the car. I don't know who owns it and I don't really want someone calling at my door at the moment but I would want to know if it were me. Would you believe a note that said that is what happened? I don't know whose car it is.
Other than that life is very uneventful at the moment. I'm just thinking about cleaning my flat but feeling lazy.

aggie Tue 24-Mar-20 11:10:48

Marydoll I am asking St Anthony to find the trainers for you ?
Seriously I am so disappointed for you all over the Wedding , DS in Edinburgh has cancelled theirs in June ,

Taichinan Tue 24-Mar-20 11:10:12

Good morning all from a cold and hazy Angus coast. I am so sorry to read on here about everyone's problems and wish there was something I could do or say that would help. As others have said, it's "one day at a time" for me, although my mind keeps going back to the beautiful day that Mother's Day was. It's so lovely to have made a perfect memory in spite of the time we are living through. As a family we are making more use of our Family WhatsApp now and I have many a chuckle at DD and DSs' quickfire repartee - too fast for me to join in! The Boys are both military and I love their humour. My late DH was military and I was a military wife for many years, so it takes me back. Now, back to the present and I know what I should be getting on with ....... But hey ho, tomorrow is another day! I wish everybody the best day they can manage ? ?

Marydoll Tue 24-Mar-20 10:27:42

Thanks everyone, sorry for moaning. Just having a wobble. My DH isn't dealing very well with this situation. Head in the sand scenario!
People are in a much worse position than me.

I think the wedding fiasco has upset me more than anything, I can't even give DD a hug.?

DGD was to wear a pair of customised Converse trainers for the dancing at night. DD has just phoned and asked me to just give them to DGD anyway, as a wee treat.
I can't find them anywhere! ? I think I've lost the plot, as well as the shoes!!! ?
How do I tell DD???

You know me, I will be fine! Just need to give myself a good shake and work on avoiding a divorce! wink

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:22:13

Marydoll flowers

Gillybob I hope you manage to get some answers today, we haven't managed to get through yet either angry

I am waiting for a Waitrose'delivery, it will be like a lucky dip I guess grin

Urmstongran careful with the exercise, you do not want to ^build up those muscles too much^grin

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:12:21

Good Morning `Mick.

Sunny here in Cornwall.

A 45 min drive to our nearest Waitrose but I got my weekly shop done at Sainsbury's in the elders slot.

Still no soap or antibacterial solution. It does puzzle me why there was none. If shelves had been stocked over night and the store had only been open half and hour for NHS staff before the elders' slot it must mean NHS cleared the shelves. Hate to think this is true. Maybe stock is not getting through.

So lucky to live in an isolated spot. We have 16 acres of wood. Not lucky to live in Cornwall at the moment. Still have holiday peeps here. We have one hospital that admits people with the virus. It only has 12 critical care beds.

My day is walking with the dog, Finish painting a huge bench with seats plus some very old wooden garden chairs. Then watering and planting more seeds in polytunnel.

Take care every one.

dragonfly46 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:09:14

Mary surely MOTs will be cancelled in these strange times. I do hope you make your hospital visits and get your medicine. We too have medicines to get and not sure how to do it.

Urmstongran Tue 24-Mar-20 10:06:27

Imagine the wonderful family/street parties we can all look forward to this summer.
? ? ? ?

Mapleleaf Tue 24-Mar-20 10:03:35

Good morning all.

A lovely, sunny morning though still chilly.

Another day of pottering about. Would normally go to see my friend for coffee today or she would come here, but that's off the agenda. I will phone her later though.

I have got things to do indoors, so will get on with those and also pop out for my designated once a day excercise (a walk around the block) whilst we are still allowed to do so.

You don't realise what you took for granted until you can no longer do it, do you? Oh well, I'm consoling myself that it will not last for ever, but know that the coming months are going to be difficult for all of us.

? gilly and to all with difficulties and worries.

Take care, everyone.

Scentia Tue 24-Mar-20 10:02:42

Marydoll I think Kwikfit are remaining open and they do MOT tests. There will be one near to you I bet.xx

Auntieflo Tue 24-Mar-20 09:53:15

Good morning Michael, Annie and all.
What a lovely lot you are with your little bits of news and upbeat comments.
Gillybob, along with others, I do so hope you can get some answers to your worries, and I wish I could have a big win on the Premiun Bonds, so I could share it. The most I have won is a couple of £25.
Not sure what to do today, but as it is sunny, maybe an hour in the garden would do us good. I used to be able to spend all day outside, but an hour is about as much as I can do now.
We went for a 10 minute walk around the block yesterday afternoon, as we need some exercise, and that is as much as DH can manage at the moment. He has been diagnosed with a blockage in his leg and is now on blood thinners.
I may make some pastry later and make a quiche, which will do us for a couple of days.
Lisagran, thanks for the help you gave Annie. I didn't know about the timer function on IPad. Another skill learnt.
Marydoll, words fail me as to the attitude of the wedding venue owner. Surely he will have to refund the costs you have incurred?
NfkDumpling, will you be allowed to isolate in your campervan now, after yesterdays restrictions?
Take care and keep safe everyone, and enjoy your day as much as possible.