Gransnet forums

Chat

Soil

(18 Posts)
Roses Thu 26-Mar-20 16:21:05

They are not allowed to open on Easter Sunday

It's all to do with the size of a retail outlet

That's why all the big stores are closed as well although they will all be shut this year

Davidhs Thu 26-Mar-20 16:09:56

We happened to pass Lidl a couple of days ago and they had a range of plants and seeds as well as compost. OK for now, I expect garden centers to be open at Easter, wishful thinking, maybe.

Eglantine21 Thu 26-Mar-20 15:55:07

Oh I’m still waiting for my seeds.

You stole my cheese?!,,,,,

Elizabeth1 Thu 26-Mar-20 15:52:15

Eglantine21thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction our compost has arrived today where’s that blooming sunshine again

shysal Thu 26-Mar-20 11:02:06

I ordered potting compost and plants/bulbs from Idealworldtv yesterday. If your DH orders make sure he chooses the option which includes a free 20L bag. I am expecting around 100 various plug plants from T&M, so was worried that I wouldn't be able to pot them on.

Elizabeth1 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:27:24

Not ordered meant to say order duh

Elizabeth1 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:26:42

Monica Amazon were asked to put my husbands money order back into the bank and they’ve replied by saying it’ll be delivered today. We’ll just have to be patient. Fingers crossed.always ask for your money to be repaid if not satisfied with any purchases off Amazon. They’ll try and get your ordered delivered as best they can

M0nica Wed 25-Mar-20 17:55:04

If you are shopping fr food and the same shop has compost I can think of no good reason why you should not put a couple of bags of compost into your trolley. I mean you are using it to grow healthful food for use an a month or two's time.

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 15:23:58

Elizabeth cannot go out though.

We are only supposed to go out for food, medicines, if allowed and I don't think compost comes under that category.

I am still puzzled why your DH is planting his spring bulbs just now, Elizabeth, they would be better left until the autumn.

gillyknits Wed 25-Mar-20 15:16:07

Some supermarkets sell compost. If that helps.

Elizabeth1 Wed 25-Mar-20 15:14:45

Maybe!

Elizabeth1 Tue 24-Mar-20 22:06:46

Thank you everyone I’ve got a delivery coming from dobies.

M0nica Tue 24-Mar-20 20:43:37

Wilkinsons www.wilko.com/en-uk/garden-outdoor-living/planting-growing/compost/c/82

You will be able to collect it in-store, saving the cost of delivery, although they will deliver.

Helennonotion Tue 24-Mar-20 20:32:19

My local garden centre does deliveries. Even though most of the centre has closed (not the farm shop) they have upped the list of things they will deliver. Maybe check out a few of your local ones?

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 20:17:21

I think the time for planting spring bulbs is about October so he should be able to get some compost by then.

Elizabeth1 Tue 24-Mar-20 20:13:37

Thank youEglantine I’ll try later on hope they'll deliver to us. Let me know how you get on

Eglantine21 Tue 24-Mar-20 19:42:58

I’ve ordered seeds etc from Dobies. The order was accepted so I’m hopeful it will arrive soon.

Elizabeth1 Tue 24-Mar-20 19:24:38

Does anyone know how my dh can get soil to plant his spring bulbs in he may have missed the boat garden centres are closed and we are self isolating thank you everyone in anticipation looking forward to hearing some ideas how this can be achieved smile