Gransnet forums

Chat

MOT due soon,some hope?

(11 Posts)
12Michael Wed 25-Mar-20 10:39:07

www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020?utm_source=22a2f6ca-6a66-4923-a0ea-2125e8ee9679&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate&fbclid=IwAR2JyX9JDRKhpYwEGQhrPHVssYFvEJmva70Q9EcGlOHE4z59cWZpINY_2SY

Charleygirl5 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:28:57

News has just broken and from the 30th March this year, we will be exempt for 6 months but must obviously keep our cars in a roadworthy condition.

TwiceAsNice Wed 25-Mar-20 09:16:37

Luckily I had mine done in February so all ok. I’m a bit worried about the the car standing idle all the time whilst I am mostly inside ( out for a walk in the day) My daughter suggested just driving it around our housing estate roads for a few mins just to get the engine turning over. I could drive a bit further and not get out of the car but am worried about what happens if someone bumps into you. What are other people doing about not driving their cars?

Iam64 Wed 25-Mar-20 08:28:39

My MOT was booked for Wednesday, the garage phoned at 5pm Tuesday to cancel. It's a nationwide company and I guess they knew what Mr J was about to announce.
I've booked mine in at the local garage for Monday, the day the MOT expires. My worry is insurance cover, which is invalid if your car isn't MOT'd and taxed. So far, the DVLA advice hasn't changed. Any car that isn't taxed has to be off the road. I can put mine on the driveway but if its stolen - will the insurance be invalid. Yes I suspect it will

cornergran Wed 25-Mar-20 08:22:11

Our main dealer was booked for ours next month. It closed yesterday. Didn’t have to for repairs and MoT, decided to for safety of staff. A local, small garage has a space for tomorrow so with luck it will be done then, early but good for peace of mind.

joannapiano Wed 25-Mar-20 07:32:06

Our car had it’s MOT yesterday, the garage was working normally.

Davidhs Wed 25-Mar-20 07:14:49

Some garages were open yesterday including Halfords, garages and petrol stations are allowed to stay open, cars do not have any official waiver for MOTs at present. How many garages are able to stay open is another matter.

Calendargirl Wed 25-Mar-20 06:44:35

MOT’s still being carried out in our area. On the FAQ’s last night, said it wouldn’t be acceptable to not get them done as things are at the moment. May change later, who knows.

vampirequeen Wed 25-Mar-20 06:39:24

Yesterday Gove said that garages could stay open in order to repair vehicles and do MOTs.

Coolgran65 Wed 25-Mar-20 02:52:36

Well, I already have an extension certificate because here in northern Ireland there was a problem with equipment which all but cancelled all MOTs for the past two months.

infoman Wed 25-Mar-20 01:58:45

If your MOT is due soon,heard there will be an announcement about MOT's that are due for renewal.