Gransnet forums

Chat

I've become my Mother!

(66 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 26-Mar-20 12:34:14

My Mother had set days to do cleaning, Monday - washing, Tuesday - ironing etc. When I was working I wasn't able to do that so everything was done at weekends.

Since retiring housework has had to be done around meeting friends etc. Now I am on lockdown I have found myself allocating certain cleaning to certain days - today it was bedrooms, hall and stairs. Am I the only one?

Evie64 Sun 29-Mar-20 03:13:45

When I was younger, with 2 children a home, a husband who worked nights and a full time stressful job in the NHS I used to do the weekly shop on a Friday and then spend the entire evening (after cooking a meal from scratch for 4 people) cleaning the house, vacuuming, polishing, washing ornaments and floors, bathrooms and kitchens and still have the energy to greet my husband when he came home from driving a London Taxi at silly o'clock in the morning! Saturdays were for washing and Sundays for ironing and then back to the grind. What was I on,? And where can I get it now? If the dust moves when I walk into the room, I clean it! My neighbour (in her 80s) has a sign on the inside of her front door saying "This isn't dirt, it's fairy dust"! Bless her.

grannysyb Sat 28-Mar-20 19:34:56

I grew up in a large house, 8 bedrooms,(not boasting, just saying,) we had lovely Eva to clean and Doris did the laundry. I never learnt to clean like the Exes mother, she was made to clean everything with her mother, it included moving the piano to clean under it. I recently acquired a cleaner when I had a hip replacement, sadly she's had to go due to the lockdown. I am fussy about kitchens and bathrooms and change beds and towels regularly, but as the saying goes "we all eat a peck of dirt before we die!"

sodapop Sat 28-Mar-20 17:44:37

How did you know so much about my life Laughterlines I am that superwoman, I'm also slim, blonde and beautiful. Time to wake up now grin grin

Tickledpink Sat 28-Mar-20 17:12:55

I never have a set day for anything. Depends what the weather is doing ?

Laughterlines Sat 28-Mar-20 16:11:13

I hate it when I read on other threads that some people take the dog for a walk in the woods at 5.30 am and list all the different birdsong they heard, then come home have lines of washing (super white) blowing on the line in the garden and have vacuumed the house from top to bottom and cleaned all the windows before 11 am. Then they go out and do all the shopping and change library books for themselves and everybody within a five mile radius. The come home and whip up something absolutely delicious for lunch using leftovers, followed by decorating the spare bedroom and redesigning the front garden while himself makes a spreadsheet of every nail and screw in the shed. Then there is just time for tea and home made double chocolate cake a variety of home made biscuits at 4 pm before helping DGC with astrophysics homework.

Me. I am still in PJs and it’s nearly 5pm. A packet cheesy wotsits for supper should do the trick.

moggie57 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:51:00

which is why i dont have no media on ,on a sunday.....no pc .no phone .i go to church (not at moment its all online) so i read most of day and catch up on my writing to penpals.and often read a religious book.......nice not to have constasnt noise in my ear. i get plenty of that from my door stairs neighbours.

moggie57 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:48:29

you know why women washed on mondays? any of you see back to the corner shop (victorian) . its because all the furnaces/factories were shut down on saturday evenings and not used till monday lunchtime. that this was the best times to do the laundry without any fumes or smoke .so washing was done on a monday. tuesday washing the floor and front step. weds was sheet day(half day closing) thursday was meat day meat market .and friday was veg day.. and of course fish on a friday. saturday was natter day over the fence(note this is for housewives only) sunday was day of rest and church.

Granjax33 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:46:48

I work pt and usually clean on the 2 days i am home but with the coronavirus and no likely visitors i have become a touch lazy.

grannylyn65 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:44:21

I don’t do cleaning
Cleaner once a week

rosecarmel Sat 28-Mar-20 15:42:25

I look like my mother- Which is odd because we didn't look like each other as children- How two people that looked so different as children wind up looking like each other later in life is so strange-

Florida12 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:36:17

I too turned into my mother ages ago, I even have a “hospital bag” just in case, I know tempting fate

Jillybird Sat 28-Mar-20 14:53:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

annodomini Sat 28-Mar-20 14:40:47

Mum always had a 'daily'. She did her own washing and ironing, but the house was cleaned by Mrs Wright. I am not a bit like my mum who was an inveterate worrier, I refuse to indulge in utterly fruitless worrying. What was ever achieved by worry?
I have a fortnightly cleaner but not during this epidemic. I have to fend for myself. sad

EmilyHarburn Sat 28-Mar-20 14:37:07

I do as little cleaning as possible. My laundry is either light or dark and I like keeping up with it. Dish washer staked by evening and cleared in morning etc. Beds changed as I have time, no spare linen, back on bed same day. I usually have a fortnightly cleaner but sadly she will not be able to come now.

Due to lock down now trying to source deliveries. Only cooking one dish a day that can be reheated for supper etc. When I have st deliveris up will get hammock out and take a well earned rest

Sussexborn Sat 28-Mar-20 14:13:14

My stepmother would plump up the cushion people were sitting against every time they leaned forward to flick the ash off their cigarettes. My SIL told me the new girl across the road was dirty because she had been there a whole week and not washed the curtains once! She also ironed socks! We used to say that I should live next door to her so she could do my house as well.

I am more of a bull in the china shop cleaner. I used to rush round like crazy when I was in the mood and do the whole house in one go. Don’t have the energy to do that now. Had just persuaded OH that a cleaner would be a good idea (and a cruise) but the virus has put paid to that.

OH has always done his share of housework if and when we were both working. His mother and grandmother were horrified that he even changed nappies for his own children.

Urmstongran Sat 28-Mar-20 13:38:46

My mother bless her, was houseproud. Me, not so much but I do some housework every day for 10 minutes whether it needs it or not ...
?

H1954 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:00:03

I decided after I retired from a shift working job that I would do what I felt like doing in any given day. If the laundry basket is getting full then a wash load goes on, if I feel like baking then I bake, if the sun is shining I'm outside getting my Vit D.
Naturally, if I'm having visitors I have to have a bit more structure and discipline but otherwise I do what I feel like doing!

Harris27 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:55:31

Aw hazel just read yours lovely!?

Harris27 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:54:53

Change the beds twice a week! I thought I was doing ok working nearly full time and managing stuff he’ll I must be a dirty bag if washing! Haha yes my mam use to do this and also had set days for meals Monday was washing / eggs chipsTuesday ironing/ mince dumplings and the week would go on!,

4allweknow Sat 28-Mar-20 11:20:10

When working used to clean a Thursday evening and then Saturday or Sunday morning. Then I got a cleaner so just basic kitchen, bathroom cleaning between her visit. Then retirement and new house daily needs again and a room done thoroughly every week, fitting in 2 bedrooms at a time when upstairs. Dh retired so he now attempts the hoovering twice a week to help. I have not turned into my mother as she used to have that nightmarish spring clean and then the clean the old year's dirt out to let the new year's in, lasting about a week before New Year's Eve. Life is easier now with all the cleaning aids, machinery and if course the coal fires have all but gone in houses.

arosebyanyothername Sat 28-Mar-20 10:56:23

This lockdown has got me doing a little more housework just for exercise really.
DH does hoover daily but I prefer pottering in the garden or baking.
My mum grew up in a street where if your net curtains weren’t changed regularly neighbours would knock to see if you’d been taken ill??

moobox Sat 28-Mar-20 10:53:46

Definitely become mine because I spend half my tome trying to stop my actual mother, who is hundreds of miles away, from going out!

Theoddbird Sat 28-Mar-20 10:47:54

Phloembundle I so love your attitude....that is how I feel...hahahaha

Aepgirl Sat 28-Mar-20 10:45:02

I certainly wouldn’t do all that in one day. I do one room a day.

Saggi Sat 28-Mar-20 10:37:48

I do housework once a week...Too many books to read, and life’s not long enough to worry about what people think of me when I’m dead!