Gransnet forums

Chat

Chaos when its all over?

(135 Posts)
ExD Tue 31-Mar-20 09:53:06

Its becoming hard to imagine, but one day all this will be over. And then, I for one and I imagine thousands of others, will want to visit distant family we've not seen for months.
Imagine the chaos on the roads when we all hit the motorways and travel up, down and sideways across the country - at the same time.
If I'm spared I'm determined to resist the temptation to do this, and I hope my family will understand.

M0nica Sat 04-Apr-20 11:00:38

David read further.

Davidhs Fri 03-Apr-20 21:39:33

“An agro-ecological project based on abandoning pesticides and synthetic fertilisers and redeploying extensive grasslands and landscape “

A quote from the first paragraph

Anyone who believes this is away with the Fairies, really, they are saying reducing food production would give us all a healthier diet and because we are all eating less, there would be more room for biodiversity.

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 17:16:53

Most pulses etc bought in the UK are imported.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 17:03:48

notanan2, I eat plenty of protein, it's B12 and zinc that I have to watch as thhey can be problematic. I've had four healthy kids and a very strong, fit life on this diet, too.

On a typical day I'll scoff a lot of oats, chickpeas, broccoli, nooch (nutritional yeast), some sweetcorn and peas, perhaps some lentils. They all have protein. I combine pulses with grains (beans on toast, rice and peas etc.) to make complete forms. It's not a problem.

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 16:19:30

Hunger is not the alternative to industrial farming. Read this: www.iddri.org/en/publications-and-events/study/agroecological-europe-2050-multifunctional-agriculture-healthy-eating

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:00:46

It's not necessary to eat meat or 'meat substitute kinds of veggies' (whatever they are) either. I'm still alive and fighting fit yet haven't eaten it for over fifty years!

You eat no protein?
The UK does not grow a lot of high protein plants.
You need to HEAVILY process and concentrate peas for example to get much protein out of them

dorcas1950 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:41:04

MOnica: the voice of reason.

BradfordLass73 Fri 03-Apr-20 04:09:08

I remember reading in The Financial Times: "The rise of supercentres such as Westfield ushers in a dismal climate for High Street retailers in the UK and elsewhere."

Westfield, which owns shopping malls across the world has a stranglehold monoply but must now be looking at their own balance sheets with the same fear as those small shopkeepers faced whom it put out of business.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 03:16:16

It's not necessary to eat meat or 'meat substitute kinds of veggies' (whatever they are) either. I'm still alive and fighting fit yet haven't eaten it for over fifty years!

LolaHolaSnr Fri 03-Apr-20 01:33:59

Things will never be the same. Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but everyone sat back and allowed our rights to freedom be signed away. These will not be given back to us, on the pretence that it may happen again. I pray that time will prove me wrong.

notanan2 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:44:15

It isn't necessary to eat the quantity of meat that most people eat, but there is no need for them to go hungry when there are alternatives to meat.

The kinds of veggies that grow easily here without intensive processes are not the meat substitute kinds

The meat substitute kinds of veggies we import from overseas intensive farms.

janeainsworth Thu 02-Apr-20 10:17:53

The rest would go hungry!
Yes, I agree that is the problem, David.

Davidhs Thu 02-Apr-20 10:01:34

There is probably more intensive production of vegetables than livestock

Chestnut Thu 02-Apr-20 09:46:14

Davidhs Those that could afford to buy organic or traditional produce would. The rest would go hungry!
It isn't necessary to eat the quantity of meat that most people eat, but there is no need for them to go hungry when there are alternatives to meat.

Davidhs Thu 02-Apr-20 09:38:35

“I think most people would be glad if factory farming didn’t exist”.

Those that could afford to buy organic or traditional produce would
The rest would go hungry!.

janeainsworth Thu 02-Apr-20 08:33:51

Hetty that is an interesting article, but it doesn’t deny that the cause of Covid19 was transmission from bats to humans via pangolins, and that the Chinese Government has been negligent in its regulation of wet markets.

I think most people would be glad if factory farming didn’t exist.

Hetty58 Thu 02-Apr-20 07:37:34

Calendargirl, I've never done the hugging/kissing/shaking hands stuff anyway. It's just not me as I have far too many allergies. If anyone comes in for a hug I have to back away and explain!

Calendargirl Thu 02-Apr-20 07:30:21

I’ll probably be shot down for saying this, but it wouldn’t bother me if after all this we don’t go back to hugging and kissing virtual strangers at every touch and turn.
Family and close friends yes, but not all and sundry.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 23:54:33

janeainsworth, your explanation of cause is only part of the story.

I could, quite equally, put the blame on everyone who ever eats chicken - but I won't. 'Normal' is bad - things have to change!

This explains it well:

“We can blame the object – the virus, the cultural practice – but causality extends out into the relationships between people and ecology,”

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/is-factory-farming-to-blame-for-coronavirus

notanan2 Wed 01-Apr-20 23:15:24

It wholly depends at what level you want to live

Ah I see, youre part of the "just dont have iphones" gang

There are many peoole who already could only just afford essentials before this

No its not a matter of cutting back on a few luxuries. Its about the people who need two incomes just to just about cover the basics!

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-20 23:14:52

Indeed notanan I can see an increase in suicide figures on the horizon . I really can . So easy for the likes of NS to come out with these kinds of statements . Her income will be secure I would assume .

notanan2 Wed 01-Apr-20 23:12:34

Not a big fan of Nicola Sturgeon in any way (understatement!!) but agreed with her when she said "we could repair the economy but we cannot bring back people to life"

Except economic depressions kill too...

jacq10 Wed 01-Apr-20 23:05:42

Not a big fan of Nicola Sturgeon in any way (understatement!!) but agreed with her when she said "we could repair the economy but we cannot bring back people to life"

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-20 23:01:44

The level in which I would like to live is the level where I can pay my very modest mortgage, my gas and electric, council tax and other necessary bills. I rarely treat myself to anything, have a holiday, or many luxuries. No sky TV although I do have an old iPad .

Sparkling Wed 01-Apr-20 22:45:22

Just pray you are here at the end of this. Life is what matters.