Gransnet forums

Chat

TV in these difficult times

(130 Posts)
Thelastemperor Thu 02-Apr-20 21:08:29

Does anyone else think that terrestrial TV channels are not serving us well in these troubled times. This would be a great opportunity for them to get together on one channel to impress us and earn license fee.
A suggestion..... From 9:00am to midnight on BBC2, in conjunction with the other terrestrial channels they could show, in their entirety, those blockbuster serials from years gone by.
For example,, 10:00 am Downton Abbey, every episode of every series one after the other.
11:00 am The Jewel in the Crown
I'm sure everyone could think of things which would help us get through the days.
What other magical programmes can you think of?

Franbern Sun 05-Apr-20 09:26:21

Olliebeak, could you try using set top box with your tv? I broke the aerial bit on a nearly new television few years back, not under guarantee, and the replacement part was almost as much cost as a new tv. So, I was advised just to attach a set topbox, wbich I did. and this worked reasonably well.

oldgimmer1 Sun 05-Apr-20 09:54:40

Six Wives of Henry!! That's a blast from the past. I'd love to see that again. Wasn't Dorothy Tutin in it as Anne Boleyn and Annette Crosbie as Katherine of Aragon?

I was quite young when I saw it first.

Chestnut Sun 05-Apr-20 10:23:20

oldgimmer1 - I haven't seen Henry lately but I bought Elizabeth R on DVD. As I said, they are very slow and wordy and require much concentration. They are so different from today's productions which are faster and more visual. I just wonder how younger folk would cope, I'm not sure they would have the patience to sit through them.

oldgimmer1 Sun 05-Apr-20 10:44:51

Thanks for reminding me about Liz R, chestnut.

I've found Six Wives on DVD (Amazon) and put it in my basket, ready for when all this is over. Something to look forward to.

Chewbacca Sun 05-Apr-20 10:57:04

I'd love to watch Northern Exposure again. Fabulous scenery, brilliant music and quirky characters. Loved that programme on a Monday evening.

tiredoldwoman Sun 05-Apr-20 11:04:04

I loved All the Rivers Run and The Thornbirds .

Daddima Sun 05-Apr-20 11:22:47

Does anyone know where I could find The Thorn Birds? I’ve looked at Netflix and Britbox, and there are only tiny clips on YouTube.

Littleannie Sun 05-Apr-20 11:55:42

Daddima
If you search on YouTube for THORNBIRDS D1 SIDE A you get a video which is over 2 hours long. I haven't watched it, but I can see it has Richard Chamberlain in it. This may be it. Don't know if there is a side B, so you may only get half! Though I can't believe that it was originally longer than 2 hours. If it was, you could search for D2 side B or similar?!

Littleannie Sun 05-Apr-20 12:00:54

Daddima
I have just found THORN BIRDS D1 SIDE B as well, which is another 1 hour 30 minutes. Dare I say we have success?

Daddima Sun 05-Apr-20 17:00:58

Thank you for that. Seems here are two discs, so D1 sides a & b, & d2 sides a&b, but no sign of D2 on You Tube. There seem to be a couple of these ones with subtitles, so the episodes may all be there.

Littleannie Sun 05-Apr-20 17:42:32

Daddima
I didn't look at the ones you have found, as I assumed they were all in a foreign language. I hope you have got them all!

Littleannie Sun 05-Apr-20 17:50:53

Daddima
If you get the chance have a look at 'Marvellous'. Search 'Marvellous film Toby Jones.' Absolutely wonderful, a little gem in my opinion.

Harris27 Sun 05-Apr-20 17:58:17

I do think some feel good programmes would do us some good . Our daily dose of the Coronavirus update is on an hour and I feel so deepressed after it. Desperate for some good news and some better times like all!

Chestnut Sun 05-Apr-20 18:15:42

I have stopped watching the daily update as it's too long. I just stick to the news which has the relevant points for the day. I have recorded it though, so could watch it if something substantial happened.

Chestnut Sun 05-Apr-20 18:18:05

I have Thorn Birds on DVD and you're making me want to watch it. I'm not sure I'm quite ready as I can still remember too much. I think I've seen it twice, once on TV and once on DVD so I need more time to forget!

ValerieF Sun 05-Apr-20 18:29:16

I think the problem Thelastemperor is that you can't please everyone! I would absolutely hate Downton Abbey on back to back on terrestrial t.v. not keen on Jewel in Crown either. What suits one? etc?

Most of what you are suggesting can be found on other channels so I say keep terrestrial for current. Will never happen of course, but neither will everybody be 'happy' no matter what they do.

Daddima Sun 05-Apr-20 20:20:28

Littleannie my brother was saying he loved ‘ Marvellous’, so I’ll give it a go too. Just now I’m really enjoying The English Game.

Littleannie Sun 05-Apr-20 20:26:15

Daddima
I've never met anyone who didn't like Marvellous when it was on TV a couple of years ago.

pensionpat Sun 05-Apr-20 21:00:41

The Duchess of Duke St. When the Boat comes in. Marvellous.

JMarion Fri 10-Apr-20 16:10:09

Why are so many modern programmes filled with bloodshed and gruesome murders, crime and horror. Surely there is enough trouble and misery in the world withoutn having it served up as entertainment? I too would love to see again some of the old series I missed when they were new. How about The Onedin Line for one?#

Txquiltz Fri 10-Apr-20 16:19:29

I saw an advert last week for a treatment for erectile dysfunction! I could live my entire life without that bit of drama.

sodapop Fri 10-Apr-20 16:21:52

gringrin Txquiltz

Littleannie Fri 10-Apr-20 16:31:05

JMarion
The Onedin Line is on YouTube.

DillytheGardener Fri 10-Apr-20 16:33:40

I imagine they would if they could, but it would be dependant on screening rights.
The Vicar of Dibley is currently available on Netflix meaning that the BBC wouldn’t to be able to screen it as Netflix would have paid for exclusive screening rights for a set duration. Renting screening rights to streaming companies is one of the vital revenue incomes to ensure they can keep our BBC license fee to a reasonable rate, considering they are creating content for a small viewer audience across, news in print, screen and radio, television, documentaries, drama, comedy, etc etc. I think people have been bashing the BBC for far too long, they produce wonderful content that punches above it’s weight compared to the mega budgets of American and foreign media companies.
I agree re reruns as i’d love it too, but their hands maybe already tied before the pandemic.

AGAA4 Fri 10-Apr-20 16:38:52

Txquiltz. Was that the one where the couple are dancing around like a pair of idiots. Maybe a side effect of the treatment?