Gransnet forums

Chat

Will we ever get our money back

(13 Posts)
Sussexborn Fri 03-Apr-20 10:23:59

We were supposed to be having a family gathering in Norfolk over Easter.

We’ve been told to apply for a refund via the credit card it was booked with or via insurance or to re-book for another date but no idea when that might be.

TheReadingRoom Fri 03-Apr-20 10:12:43

We had a holiday booked with Tui departing 23 March. Tui cancelled our booking on 15 March and organised a full refund on 16th March after I spoke to them on the phone. Nearly 3 weeks later still no refund so am claiming a chargeback via my credit card.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:45:03

Annecan, I've lost money too, as it happens (tenants can't pay their rent). Under present circumstances, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't have mentioned it, though.

Annecan Fri 03-Apr-20 09:27:23

Hetty58
It’s never a good move to minimise other peoples concerns.

Cunco Fri 03-Apr-20 09:24:51

I am trying to get a villa deposit back from a UK subsidiary of a very well known internet US booking group. It gave a 100% deposit refund guarantee in December but now its website does not function properly and the only method of contact is an interminable wait on the telephone or, eventually, an e-mail response after a negative comment on Trustpilot (where many one star, negative reviews from villa renters and managers have appeared in recent weeks). It is now over a week since I responded to the company's e-mail asking me what was wrong with its own website and the trail has again gone cold.

We know these companies are under pressure but many are contacting customers with as much re-assurance as they can give. This one appears to have gone into hiding, refusing to say where our deposits are, let alone return them. I will continue to chase the company, try to get a response from my credit card company and contact the villa manager. The only certainty is that I will not be paying the balance of the holiday cost and using this company again, that is if I am ever allowed to travel again!

Annecan Fri 03-Apr-20 09:22:33

I realise that for some, it is minor compared to other problems, but we have been contacted by them and told we must ring to get a refund
The problem for many of us will be if the airline goes bust...then no one will get their money back. Also for some of us, this is not a paltry sum, and is certainly money we could do with now, as financial circumstances have changed.
My feeling is they will keep it in the bank as long as possible, by making getting a refund an arduous task.

Lucca Fri 03-Apr-20 09:16:42

We got ours very promptly for a flight due 22/3. Pretty sure it must be very difficult to organise with employees maybe working from home, lots of absences etc. Be patient! I don’t think they are playing games at all.

Chewbacca Fri 03-Apr-20 09:11:48

Call centres, except for emergency ones, are closed, like everywhere else.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:05:42

It seems such a minor worry, compared with saving lives. Many employees will be self-isolating or unwell. The massive load of enquiries has probably swamped them.

NannyJan53 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:53:51

We have two flights booked with them in June and September.

I doubt either will go ahead now, but confident they will contact us nearer the time about a refund or towards flights next year.

We have always found them to be very helpful in the past. I am sure they are overwhelmed at the moment.

Mapleleaf Fri 03-Apr-20 08:38:27

I think it’s very likely that they are being, and will be for some time to come, inundated by people trying to contact them. I’m just going to sit it out for now - I know my flight won’t go ahead next month, and the travel agency is closed so I’m going to have to be patient. Maybe when all this is settled, they may offer another flight or the opportunity to get back the money paid. I’m afraid it’s wait and see for the moment.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:31:36

We are due to fly with that airline in five weeks, I do not think they are playing games, this is an unprecedented situation and I guess they are overwhelmed with queries and refund requests. I can understand your frustration though.

I am happy to wait for the refund, it's not as if I can rush out to spend it.

Annecan Fri 03-Apr-20 08:13:03

I’m beginning to think that airlines are putting every obstacle in our way to stop us getting our money back.
No reply on line, phone ringing for an hours, no answer (they are busy, but our call is valuable to them)
This is what we consider a reputable airline ( ending in2!)
But I think they are playing games now.